Video- Trevor Gillies Hit On Cal Clutterbuck Tonight

Gillies received five for hitting from behind and a game.  Gilies had just returned from a 9 game suspension for a hit in the Penguins/Islanders penalty-filled game.

added 9:48pm, Keith Jones and Mike Milbury on VERSUS not happy with the hit.  Watch below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cal+clutterbuck, trevor+gillies

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Gilles is a pile but the hit by Clutterbuck was a little questionable.

Posted by Steve on 03/03/11 at 12:13 AM ET

What an idiot.  No excuse for this.  The guy should still be suspended.  The NHL will probably give him another game so he can learn his lesson.  Can’t wait to read what Konopka will have to say about this when he does get suspended.  How he has a family and kids and blah blah blah.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/03/11 at 12:16 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/02/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Yeah.  I guess because he has a wife and kids, he’s allowed to run around and try to end people’s careers.  Funny thing was, I didn’t hear Konopka say one word about Tangradi’s family.  He still hasn’t played since that game.

Gilles is just a humongous piece of shit.  He should’ve been suspended 20 games in the first place.  If he was, this wouldn’t have happened.  Now?  I mean, this was the same exact hit - minus him punching a defenseless, injured player that’s facedown on the ice - as in the Penguins game.  He obviously didn’t get the message.  Suspend him for a year.  Maybe he’ll think about not being an @sshole so he can provide for his wife and kids.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/03/11 at 12:27 AM ET

For once I was really pleased with Milbury’s comments, about this incident during the intermission on Versus.  As he said, the Islanders’ brass has really let Gillies get out of control and they—Snow and Capuano, whom he called “friends—are accountable and need to do something themselves about this guy and not wait for the league.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 03/03/11 at 12:42 AM ET

For the record, I am an Islanders fan, and this incident pissed me off. Your 1st game back from a 9 game suspension you’re supposed to lay low. Not do this. It is one thing to defend your teammate from a hit from behind, but there’s no need to hit the guy in the face from the blindside.
Clutterbuck went at DiBo again later on. Konopka defended him the right way. Shoulder to the chest.

I hope after this season Gillies is gone, which he probably will be.

However, Milbury’s comments are ridiculous. This is the same guy that went into the crowd and beat a fan with a shoe. Now that is being a goon.

And Milbury should be ashamed of what he did to a once very proud franchise. He destroyed this team. Absolutely destroyed it. Milbury is a joke. I have no issue with Jones calling Gillies a meathead because he is, but Milbury is a hypocrite and a joke.

Posted by Rob on 03/03/11 at 12:49 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I agree, my first thought was about the Clutterbuck hit being from behind, a second before the other hit.

However… just do the sensible thing and ban Gillies for the season and playoffs (if any).  There’s offender, there’s repeat offender, and then there’s this clown doing this his first game back from a lengthy suspension.  Is his head really that empty?

Oh wait, but I forgot… this is the NHL, where “discipline” is a myth.  So he’ll probably get a fine, a stern talking to in the media form the league… and a pat on the back from his coach.

Why can’t we put him, Cooke, Tootoo, Ruutu, and all these other clowns on the ice together at once and just tell them the last one standing gets to go suspension-free.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/11 at 12:50 AM ET

We can’t because then there would still be one of them left :(

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 03/03/11 at 12:58 AM ET

Primus- I agree. Except for the discipline part. Gillies is a repeat offender and also is an Islander. Campbell hates the Islanders. He will get atleast 5 for this when it’s probably only worth 2 if he wasn’t a repeat offender.

I hope after the suspension ends, the Islanders do the smart thing and scratch him for the rest of the season, and then let him walk when he hits UFA this summer. He only has a 1 year deal. He was probably going to be gone after this season anyway. Jones is right. And I can’t believe as an Islander fan I’m about to say this, but do as the Rangers did with Dale Purintin (SP?)

Posted by Rob on 03/03/11 at 01:00 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Well I am just glad the Backup Goalie/GM has his team & Fat Turd of a Nobody AHL coach “under control” tongue rolleye

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 01:23 AM ET

at least cooke is not the dirtiest player now!

Posted by schmotze on 03/03/11 at 01:33 AM ET

Teddybear's avatar

I just wonder, if people will look at Lemieux’s statement a little bit differently now.

Many bashed Mario for complaining about the suspensions, and look what happened in the first (!!) game after Gillies’ suspension…

Posted by Teddybear from Sweden on 03/03/11 at 02:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Gillies was asked a few question postgame…

On the play that led to his game misconduct:

I just went over and finished my hit. There was no intent at all to injure him (Cal Clutterbuck). I
saw him hit DiBo and I made a hit on him. That was it. I didn’t think it was from behind at all. I
hit him from the side.

On potentially being suspended:

I’m sure I’ve got a little bit of a target (on me), but that’s up to the League to decide.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/03/11 at 04:04 AM ET

Unless the A on Matt Cooke’s jersey stands for something other then alternate I don’t look at Lemieux’s statements any differently.  If anything it makes me think he’s a bigger hypocrite then I originally thought.

Posted by Steve on 03/03/11 at 10:27 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Bullsh**.  No you didn’t.  You went over there to injure him, because the puck wasn’t there and he hit a teammate.

He comes off even stupider now for saying this…

Nope.  He’s still a crybaby, and he still willfully employs one of the dirtiest players in the game.

Posted by Primis on 03/03/11 at 10:41 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think the timing of the cheap shot being in his first game back from a lengthy suspension should lead to the league shutting him down for the remainder of the season and should subsequently end his NHL career.

If the guy wants to make a living in North America, I suggest a meat-packing plant.  Give him a captive-bolt pistol and let him go nuts.  He obviously has a natural affinity for hitting things in the head.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 11:18 AM ET

Gillies is an idiot for giving that hit, and yet no arm is raised on the Clutterbuck hit from behind. However, Clutterbuck then gets 2 after the fact to compensate. If the refs control the game from the start and don’t give the neaderthal’s an excuse to run wild we’d see less of this type of “policing” and more hockey.

Gillies is indeed a meathead as Jones has pointed out, but so is Jones. He immediately reacted to Cooke’s four game suspension by saying he’d take him on his team any day. Moronic double standards have to end. The ability to score a couple of goals doesn’t give you any more right to attempt to cripple someone. Mike Milbury fought a fan in the stands and even in the NBA that gets you a forty game suspension so again get rid of the stupid talking heads as well and we’d see a new hockey culture start to emerge.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 03/03/11 at 12:19 PM ET

This guy is an embarrassment to the sport and should be gone for the rest of the season. The fact that Mike “I’m the smartest caveman ever” Milbury actually chastises the guy, along with his post-game comments, should be enough to send this douchebag packing.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 03/03/11 at 12:20 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OH goody the Matt Cooke Plays for the Pens So Mario Can’t say anything Window Lickers are Back ! LOL What Buffoons If the Pens released every other team would be trying to sign him

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 12:43 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 09:43 AM ET

I caN ranDomLy hit thE shiFt Key and ignoRe PunctuatIon TOO am I cool noW?  :D smile  :(

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/03/11 at 01:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If the Pens released every other team would be trying to sign him

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 01:06 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I caN ranDomLy hit thE shiFt Key and ignoRe PunctuatIon TOO am I cool noW?  :D smile :(

Great Argument !! Twat Waffle

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 01:22 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Evilpens, it’s only tongue-in-cheek if you’re self-aware enough for it.  Otherwise it’s foot-in-mouth.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 01:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Gillies has in in-person mtg with the NHL tomorrow, per Dreger tweet.

Could mean more than five games.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/03/11 at 01:52 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Which might help better prove Lemieux’s point that if this is the standard of the NHL, perhaps he doesn’t want to be a part of that.   Well I’m sure ML will follow along when Detroit releases Krowal & Bertuzzi & Nashville does the same with Tootoo & so on & so on

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 02:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Kronwall, who has taken one major penalty in his entire career and Bertuzzi, who has done nothing wrong while in a Red Wings, Flames, Ducks, or Panthers jersey (or, for you math-challenged people, in the last seven years)?  Bertuzzi the reformed criminal?

Yeah, those are real good comparables to guys like Cooke and Gillies.

You’re ridiculous.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 02:07 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

I take it the Islanders were feeling disrespected again? Joke.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 03/03/11 at 02:20 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Yeah, those are real good comparables to guys like Cooke and Gillies.

You’re ridiculous.

OK Beavis ! HMMM Bertuzzi ended a Players career! Cooke hasn’t done that (And don’t use Savard because unfortunately had several concussions before Cooke Hit him), Tootoo is a TURD, & Kronwall jumps into guys heads every other check !!

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 02:22 PM ET

Well I’m sure ML will follow along when Detroit releases Krowal & Bertuzzi

I’m all for releasing Harry Potter, but you leave the serial killer out of this.

Posted by dumbasrocks on 03/03/11 at 02:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 11:22 AM ET

Kronwall jumps into guys every other check, as evidenced by his ONE major penalty in his career… for interference.  He’s comparable to Cooke because Kronwall’s play forced the legaue to adopt a new rule to make what he does illegal, right?

Like I said, you’re ridiculous.

Also, so I can’t use Savard because he’s had other concussions?  Oh, ok genius.  That makes giving him one ok.  I can’t possibly say that Cooke has done something wrong because other people have.

Ridiculous.

Look at the Bertuzzi situation this way:  If he had gone to jail for attempted murder (which many people say he should have), he’d be out of jail by now.  He’s completely changed his game and shown nothing but remorse for what he did.  What about Cooke?  I’ll give the guy credit in that he seems to be getting slightly cleaner, but that’s like saying an assassin is cool because he doesn’t kill women and children anymore.

Ridiculous.

If Kronwall is as bad as Cooke, then Kopitar is as bad as Kronwall is as bad as Cooke.  If that’s true, then Kris Letang is as bad as Kopitar is as bad as Kronwall is as bad as Cooke.  If THAT’S all true, then Martin St. Louis is as bad as Kris Letang is as bad as Anze Kopitar is as bad as Niklas Kronwall is as bad as Matt Cooke and nobody should be playing in the NHL.

Just… ridiculous.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 02:38 PM ET

Bertuzzi ended a Players career!

...

Seems fair.  Bertuzzi get’s to keep the label of career ending villain, despite having only one freak accident on his record, while Cooke’s ending (so far) of Savard’s career gets written off because of prior concussions.

I mean, I’m sure from the outside it looks like both sides are just backing their players, but that’s pretty flimsy defense of Cooke.

Posted by dumbasrocks on 03/03/11 at 02:39 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Freak Accident?????????????? He purposefully jumped a guy from behind, Sucker Punched him & then Landed on his Head/Neck! Yep that was a Freak accident!! Good Lord you Window Lickers are ridiculous in your Hate for The Pens, As I have said repeatedly Matt Cooke Lives On the edge, Bylsma & Shero had a talk with him after his last incident.

Posted by Evilpens on 03/03/11 at 03:06 PM ET

Its been a while, so here’s the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

Intentionally jumped and sucker-punched the guy, Yup. Intentionally landing on Moore’s back in such a way as to fracture his neck, not so much. Much more vicious and violent things happen to player’s necks all the time (like Moore’s hit on Naslund, for example), that Moore suffered the injury he did was a result of Bertuzzi’s actions, yes…but there’s also an element of freak accident.

The real reason the Bertuzzi/Cooke comparison doesn’t work is because Bert didn’t have a history (before or after) of being a goon and putting other players at risk.  Not only was Bert never known for this type of thing, but since then he’s curbed his physical play enormously. On the other hand, Cooke is very much an accident waiting to happen (again - if you’re “silly” enough to count Savard), and seems intent on continuing his “style” of play despite this.

Good Lord you Window Lickers are ridiculous in your Hate for The Pens

Can’t speak for the others, but I view Cooke as separate from the Penguins (and almost feel bad for you guys re: Crosby).  I just think its silly to keep bringing up Bertuzzi every time a Wings fan criticizes Cooke, the two players and their histories are quite different.

Again, how convenient of you to rationalize a repeat offender by referencing Bon Jovi songs.  “That’s just his game man, sometimes he gets carried away. They’re talking to him about it though, so its aight.”  We get it, nothing short of Cooke pulling a ‘Last Boyscout’ and shooting a player on the ice will convince you otherwise.

Posted by dumbasrocks on 03/03/11 at 03:29 PM ET

I have to correct two mistakes that I made in my first post. I’ve seen other angles and now it looks like the refs had their hand up for the Clutterbuck boarding penalty.  I also have to correct to the extent I went after Gillies as a meathead, my reaction was based on prejudice. I know that Gillies isn’t much of a hockey player and so I assumed the worst.  I will stick with my assertation that Gillies is too bright since coing off of a nine game suspension you would think he would keep a low profile for the 60 seconds he was going to play in his first game back.

However, looking at it again, it is a high hit which should be a penalty, but he hit Clutterbuck on the side and not from behind. Much like Staal was excused for his suckerpunch because Prust oversold it, Clutterbuck does a fine job of selling it too. When I re-watched it without looking at Clutterbuck’s death throes it seemd like a hard hit where the arms came up a bit high.  Gillies coasted in, but he simply does not know how to throw a check without raising his arms to try and push a player.  I don’t see a dangerous hit like Ovechkin threw on Campbell or Cooke threw. The NHL I am sure will suspend based on quality of player and not severity of the incident.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 03/03/11 at 04:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The severity of the incident is a seemingly random result, so what you’d be calling for is basically random punishments.

Gillies hit Clutterbuck high in the head on a charging-type incident.  I don’t care if Clutterbuck sold it.  What Gillies did is what we need to eliminate from hockey.

I propose eliminating Gillies from hockey for it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 05:11 PM ET

Gillies can’t control himself and Islanders should find a replacement for him. He is causing negative publicity for a team that’s getting it together.  However, if officials don’t penalize the cheap shots severely enough, teams and players will retaliate.  They have a right to protect their stars if the league won’t.  As long as it is face to face.  The comentators on Nhl and vs make me sick especially Milbury and Barnababy. Look who’s calling the kettle black.
Back when Milbury played, hits like that happened all the time and he wasn’t crying about it then. He was involved in a few questionable incidents as well, like climbing into the stands and beating a spectator with a shoe. Sounds like a great way to promote the game. Hypocrites.

Posted by Al on 03/03/11 at 05:51 PM ET

“...how convenient of you to rationalize a repeat offender by referencing Bon Jovi songs.”
Posted by dumbasrocks on 03/03/11 at 12:29 PM ET

Hahahahaha!

Posted by NathanBC on 03/03/11 at 06:22 PM ET

No,  what I am saying is the exact opposite, judge the hit, not the apparent intent or the reputation or severity of injury first and foremost. The Gillies hit was high, but it was far from charging.  The outcry is because of the way Clutterbuck went down and more so because it was Gillies .  The more dangerous play of the two was Clutterbuck’s in my opinion, but we are all being swayed by events irrelevant to what happended - the fact that it was Gillies and the fact that Clutterbuck seemed injured makes the Gillies hit seem so much more heinous.  I have no problem with Gillies getting additional games as a repeat offender, but we should judge the offense on its merits first and then add in the mitigating factors.

However, even the NHLs “repeat” offender status in and of itself is suspect since it is inherently inconsistent. Punishments are not handed out because it is a player’s first offense and then upon a second offense the player has no prior history and therefore goes unpunished again if the league decides they are not going to make an example. The NHL seems to take the stance that marginal players deserve large suspensions and productive players deserve marginal suspensions and therefore there is no deterent. Marginal players will continue to do whatever it costs to stay in the league because they have little to lose and are easily replaced. Productive players that play on the edge will continue to take liberties because they know the punishment will be insignificant compared to their salaries.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 03/03/11 at 07:09 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Rereading it, I do get that.  Sorry for misunderstanding at first.

Where that leaves us is a disagreement on the severity of the hit and of Gillies’ intent.  I believe he went in with a high hit to the head with the intent of injuring Clutterbuck.  I might mitigate the punishment slightly based on the (very good) point that Clutterbuck also laid a dirty hit and that the time between Gillies seeing that and angrily reacting with a high cheap shot being very short.  Basically, he was still seeing too much red after watching his teammate fall victim to a cheap shot.  That said, I wouldn’t mitigate it much.

I would agree with additional supplemental discipline to Clutterbuck as well.

We are in complete agreement on this point.  I think this is, by far, one of the leading causes of players getting out of control.  The players don’t police themselves and the league does a weak job of doing that as well.  As far as the specific Gillies situation here, I would ideally like to see the book thrown at him for the nature of his repeat offense (even factoring in the mitigating instances that Clutterbuck might have deserved some “policing” and even that Gillies had very little time to rationally think about the best means of retaliation).  On the other side, I’d like to see Clutterbuck get a couple games, as he’s also a repeat offender.  While we’re talking dreams and not realities, I’d like to reiterate that I want the league to punish more severely across the board for these types of incidents and would like to also reaffirm that I think punishments should be flatly handed out, regardless of a player’s points totals or cap hit.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/03/11 at 07:21 PM ET

I’m in agreement that Gillies deserves something because he can’t hit guys in the head everytime there is a borderline hit, he has to at least give the NHL a chance to get it right once in a while. Although it isn’t likely to happen and I corrected my original observation that the refs didn’t have their arms up. In that instance you have to let up and let the refs call the game.

In terms of severity, I think this hit was more reactionary and I don’t think he took off across the ice like he did with Tancredi or that the hit on Clutterbuck was from behind either.  It wasn’t a predatory hit, but an overzealous one by a guy that thinks he is protecting yet another rookie in the Islanders lineup that was targeted for a hit. The guy just doeans’t know how to throw a hit with his hands down. In reality the game ejection would be enough for most other players under the same circumstances and an additional pair is probably what is called for, but I think by the NHLs triple standard he gets no less than 6.

I’ll take the same stance I did with the Simon incident - if Simon got 20, then Hollweg should have gotten 10.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 03/03/11 at 08:03 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Well Nice try Twat Waffle Bon Jovi doesn’t have a song living On the Edge, BUT Aerosmith does! Freakin Buffoon

At least you took the right name dumbasrocks

LOL