Video- The Series Changing Hit

Steve Bernier received 5 for boarding and a game and while on the penalty kill, the Devils allowed 3 power play goals.

The score at the end of the 1st period is 3-0 LA.

added 10:00pm, CBC call of the hit is below.

The CBC video was the original one I posted from NHL.com, but they decided to remove it and replace it with NBC video.

But I found the CBC call again so here it is…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+bernier

Comments

I actually hate this call and I am a BIG fan of Rob Scuderi but if you watch the play, the puck is moving along the wall, and Bernier has a straight line for Rob.  But Rob turns his back to Bernier and play the puck backwards, instead of following his natural direction of forwards with the puck.

What really sucks is that this penalty results in 3 Power play goals!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/11/12 at 10:34 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/11/12 at 09:34 PM ET

I agree. And how I see it, watch Scuderi’s feet. They stay perpendicular to the boards until the last instance, even after he releases the puck. To me, he turns himself into that play. I could’ve lived with a 2 minute penalty because he wasn’t along the wall even playing the puck, but 5 and a game was the wrong call here.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/11/12 at 10:43 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

The video linked by Paul isn’t working for me for some reason.  It could just be strangeness.  It’s a strange day here.  I was just attacked by a 4” lizard in my daughter’s closet, so maybe I should just step away from the computer and television.  Anyone ever been bit repeatedly by a lizard?  Madness.

Ahem.

I missed the first period, and couldn’t get that video to play but found a pretty high quality one on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbmyiNTUEi4

It was a pointless (puck already left Scuderi’s stick, not that Bernier ever tried to play the puck, he was clearly going for Scuderi) hit on a player in a defenseless position. I’m glad it cost the Devils.  Maybe seeing consequences from a bad hit in a big spot will be enough to wake up some of the neanderthals that this league appears filled with.

You could argue that the devils overpaid (3 goals) but I really don’t think you can call that penalty a double-minor.  It was too egregious.  The only thing that saddens me is that the Stoll hit (seen in the video I linked above) didn’t get a minor at the same time.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 10:48 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Even if you go with a minor, it’d have to be a double minor due to the blood.  I don’t think the major is a bad call.  The game misconduct might be questionable (and Clarkson’s was clearly damage control hoping to prevent a Pen-esque or Flyer-like breakdown on an even bigger stage).

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 10:51 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

For reference (then I’ll try to stop spamming the thread), here’s the boarding rule:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize the contact. However, in determining wheter such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.
Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

And here’s the automatic game misconduct rule:

20.4 Automatic Game Misconduct – An automatic game misconduct shall be applied to any player who has been assessed a third major penalty in the same game.
An automatic game misconduct shall also be applicable whenever a player is assessed a major penalty for any of the infractions listed in the Reference Tables – Table 6 – Summary of Major Penalties that Result in an Automatic Game Misconduct. See specific rule numbers for complete descriptions.
When a player has been assessed a major penalty for any of the infractions listed in the Reference Tables – Table 7 – Summary of Major Penalties that Result in an Automatic Game Misconduct When There is an Injury to the Face or Head and his opponent has suffered an injury to the face or head, a game misconduct must also be assessed. See specific rule numbers for complete descriptions.
When a major and automatic game misconduct are assessed, the player shall be ruled off the ice for the balance of the game, but a substitute shall be permitted to replace the player so suspended after five (5) minutes have elapsed.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 10:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Don Cherry agrees with you folks regarding Scuderi and NHL.com changed the link, so I updated it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/11/12 at 10:55 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Cherry agreed Scuderi put himself in a bad spot (which he did), but he also said Bernier deserved the five (which implies the game misconduct) and repeats it when prompted to clarify.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 10:59 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 09:54 PM ET

But that’s just it, Scuderi turns at the last possible instance there, it’s why it shouldn’t have been a major and I’d argue based on the rule, a penalty.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/11/12 at 11:03 PM ET

I don’t see how it’s a major. It wasn’t late, Scuderi put himself in an awful position, it wasn’t any kind of excessive force, though Bernier didn’t minimize contact. I could see a minor, and totally understand the ref making that call. Tough way to turn a game.

Posted by Dave on 06/11/12 at 11:14 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

The reason it has to be a penalty is pretty clear.

There was clearly a check behind.  Do you not think Scuderi is defenseless?  I’d agree that he made himself defenseless but he was, still, defenseless and how someone got to that position simply isn’t in the wording of whether a penalty should be called or not.

The only two arguments that makes sense to me are:  (1) if you wanted to say, “It’s an elimination game, throw out the rulebook”- which I patently disagree with, and hope most here would, too, or (2) if you wanted to say that the referee should tone the penalty down from a major to a minor because Scuderi was “asking for it” by his own questionable judgement and positioning.

The latter part of the rule gives the referee the ability to ratchet the penalty up or down from major to minor due to whether the player receiving the hit put himself in that position or not.

The strange thing is that the rulebook paints the referee into a couple of corners here.  He basically has to call a Boarding penalty even if you want to buy into the argument that it was Scuderi’s fault, and if he calls a major it immediately upgrades to a game misconduct.  It’s a strange situation.

I was incorrect earlier when I said that the blood would’ve made it a double-minor (if he’d called a minor).  I don’t know why I thought that was in the rules- but it looks like Boarding can actually not be a double-minor.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 11:18 PM ET

Scout's avatar

The call tainted the game.

Posted by Scout on 06/11/12 at 11:20 PM ET

More than a horrible concussion, this hit has the potential to change the way players play the game.  The stupidity of the hit, the magnitude of the game, and the resulting penalty should contribute to a lively discussion this off-season.

Posted by bsalamon on 06/11/12 at 11:27 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 10:18 PM ET

Your right, the more I look at it and the rule, it should be 2 minutes but I do believe that’s it and yes, it does paint the referee into a tremendous corner. But here’s how I’m viewing it, what’s the PPT from Shanahan going to look like tomorrow?

- Boarding due to nature of hit and impact with the boards
- Scuderi put himself into a vulnerable position
- No previous history (that I know of anyways)

We’ve seen him come out say these kinds of things shouldn’t have been a penalty on NHL Live so I honestly don’t know anymore. Besides, like the announcers said, if you’re going to call Penner for “roughing” how do you not call the hit that preceeds this one? This whole game is a microcosm of all that is wrong with the officiating in this league.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 06/11/12 at 11:27 PM ET

No matter how many times I look at it, it looks more and more like it was going to be a big LEGAL hit until Scuds turns away from the hit.  Horrible that it changed the game like it did.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/11/12 at 11:32 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

This is my hope.  There have been a few hits this post-season that changed the complection of their series in major ways.  Giroux, Bernier, etc.

The call tainted the game.

I’ve yet to see a compelling argument to support that.  The call wasn’t what allowed three goals.  If no goal (or one goal) was scored on the ensuing PP no one would be complaining.  Blaming the call because of the goals is the same as setting a penalty based on the injury; illogical.

I could not agree with this sentiment more.  The refereeing has been, to put it mildly, inconsistent.  A lot of justifiable non-calls, then some overly harsh calls (Clarkson, Penner).  It has to be maddening for the players because how the rules are upheld seems to change by the second as the referees vacillate between “letting them play” and “prevent a Penguins-Flyers or #webering sort of incident”.  That’s not right, either.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/11/12 at 11:36 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/11/12 at 10:32 PM ET

That about sums it up.

Posted by godblender on 06/11/12 at 11:40 PM ET

It is precisely because of the inconsistency in calls & the serious consequences of those kinds of hits that makes me wonder what Bernier could have thought would be gained going into it like that. His team mates should banish him for being a dumb ass.

And now my team has completely beclowned themselves, a team that might not exist in a few months due to debt. I am so disappointed—they really could have had it.

Posted by Carthage on 06/11/12 at 11:49 PM ET

between the no call on stoll, excessively harsh call on bernier, and the linesman taking out the d man; the officials completely changed the momentum of this game.

Posted by akwingsfan from alaska on 06/12/12 at 01:30 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Everyone can not like it I guess, but fact is according to the way the rule is written, it was illegal.

And truthfully, it was dumb of Bernier.  He doesn’t have to come in there hot and try to plaster Scuderi,

I don’t know why guys can’t control themselves…

Posted by Primis on 06/12/12 at 08:14 AM ET

I think the refs made the right call on Bernier, but the fact that they missed the call on Gionta moments earlier makes it that much harder to give them credit when they get only half the calls right.

Brodeur was run in the crease early on as well and it looked like the officiating crew took their cue from the NBA; call it the way the home crowd sees it. What it comes down to is if the Devils don’t leave Kopitar alone in game 1 in OT this call probably mean nothing. They allowed themselves to be in a position where the refs could help decide the series and that is never a formula for winning,

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 06/12/12 at 09:39 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

and the linesman taking out the d man

And they call themselves Professional. That has to be one of the all time worst examples of officiating I have ever witnessed in my over 40+ years of watching hockey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13