Video- The Latest On The KHL Air Tragedy

via RT.com,

added 11:27am, from IIHF.com,

“This is a terrible tragedy for the global ice hockey community with some many nationalities involved,” said IIHF President René Fasel, who immediately called the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and KHL officials to offer condolences. “Our thoughts and prayers are with family and friends of the victims.”

“Despite the substantial air travel of professional hockey teams, our sport has been spared from tragic traffic accidents,” Fasel added. “But only until now. This is the darkest day in the history of our sport. This is not only a Russian tragedy, the Lokomotiv roster included players and coaches from ten nations.”

Updated 1:18pm ET:

Gary Bettman, Commissioner of the National Hockey League, today released the following statement on the tragedy involving the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey club:

“Though it occurred thousands of miles away from our home arenas, this tragedy represents a catastrophic loss to the hockey world—including the NHL family, which lost so many fathers, sons, teammates and friends who at one time excelled in our League. Our deepest condolences go to the families and loved ones of all who perished.”

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: khl

Comments

Puck's avatar

Brad McCrimmon? Didn’t he just assistant coach the Wings last season and just took the coaching job in Russia? That’s f@&

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 09/07/11 at 12:28 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

That is chilling.  Thinking of all the travel sports teams do, I guess we were fortunate up until now.  Thoughts and prayers to all those affected.

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 09/07/11 at 12:35 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

crushing. Absolutely devastating. Love and prayers to all the families/friends effected in these hard times.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 09/07/11 at 12:51 PM ET

awould's avatar

Ruslan Salei too…..

so sad.

Posted by awould on 09/07/11 at 01:02 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I can’t believe this!  I heard about a passenger airplane crash in Russia this morning, but had no idea who was lost until my sister texted me from Michigan a little while ago.  She told me about Brad McCrimmon, but Rusty too?  This is horrible - I’m in shock.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 01:13 PM ET

petshark's avatar

So upsetting, absolutely heartbreaking.  I guess it’s a reminder to live in the moment, appreciate each day, but it’s hard to get there just yet.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 09/07/11 at 01:17 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

I just saw the pictures from the crash on Yahoo Sports Canada. Made me sick to my stomach, I can’t believe how tragic this offseason has been. Like someone else said on the first post, it just makes the game not seem important when deaths in the game are happening left and right. RIP Lokomotiv

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 09/07/11 at 01:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Now I’m seeing on Twitter that maybe Salei was NOT on the plane…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 01:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Still seeing conflicting reports about whether or not Rusty was on the plane.  I have a sick feeling in my stomach though.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 01:40 PM ET

Just 500 meters after takeoff.  Heartbreaking.

My deepest condolences to Lokomotiv.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/07/11 at 01:42 PM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Now I’m seeing on Twitter that maybe Salei was NOT on the plane…

The team announcement said that the entire roster was on the plane. Heartbreaking.

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 09/07/11 at 01:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Someone posted this on his FB from whomever runs his page(yeah…not necessarily a credible source…)

The miracle has not happened…
He called from Yaroslavl two hours prior to a fly to Minsk to sports director of Dinamo and asked to allocate tickets for game for relatives and friends…
R.I.P. Ruslan and his teammates..

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/07/11 at 01:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The list of those who perished had only 35 names and I’ve read that 43 or 44 died.  So Rusty probably was among those.

It’s odd.  When I heard this morning that a passenger jet crashed shortly after takeoff in Russia, I thought to myself how quickly they reported that and then just moved on to another story.  I thought about how much more attention it would have been given if it had happened here.  And now to learn who was on the plane…  I guess it’s just human nature to have more of an emotional reaction to a tragedy like this if you know, or have heard of, someone who died.

My heart goes out to the families.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 01:55 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Rusty was among those killed, sadly.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Life changes in a split second. This is so, so, sad. My deepest sympathy goes out to all of the families and friends of the victims.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/07/11 at 02:30 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

What a horrible tragedy.  Words cannot describe.  My heart goes out to all the families and fans of these great players, coaches, and staff of the Lokomotiv.

More details on the Google front page:

Looks like Stefan Liv was on the plane, too.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 09/07/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I was among the “19” dogging McCrimmon, often.

But this is simply tragic.  My prayers to his family, and to all of those affected by this terrible disaster.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 09/07/11 at 02:46 PM ET

Tragic :(.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 09/07/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Rest in Peace.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/07/11 at 02:49 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Absolutely tragic.  Just horrible news.  I’m beyond words.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 09/07/11 at 03:14 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/07/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

In 2009, the European Commission published a report on foreign carriers that did not meet standards. Included was RA-42433, previously operated by Tatarstan airlines.

That’s the one that crashed. It was banned on Europe.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Primis's avatar

McCrimmon, Demitra, Salei, Skrastins, Rachunek, Vasicek, there were a slew of familiar names on that team.  Including some other fringe names like Liv, Marek, Churilov, Anikeenko.

This is just terrible.  I was absolutely stunned at the news when I first saw it on my phone, and then wondered if it was a mistake.  Didn’t seem possible, this is 2011 after all, not 1960 or something.  But there it is.

Aside from the obvious “What does the KHL do now?” with an entire team gone, it raises questions once again (much like after the Cherepanov tragedy) about the viability of the KHL as a true, realistic alternative.  Bad stuff just tends to happen over there.  This will do nothing to help the perception that the KHL is a legit, safe alternative.

Posted by Primis on 09/07/11 at 03:48 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Just unbelievable….I am completely stunned.  Demitra in his prime was really something to watch…watched Skrastins here in Colorado for a number of years…Salei…

I just don’t have words.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 09/07/11 at 05:00 PM ET