Video- The Andrew Ference/Jeff Halpern Debate

Shoulder to the jaw?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: andrew+ference, jeff+halpern

Comments

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Shoulder to the jaw?

Looked more to me like jaw to shoulder.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/28/11 at 12:44 AM ET

B’s player definately leaned into him.  Puck was no where near the Montreal player. Kinda cheap on Ferences part. It was unecessary.

Posted by stuck in the soo on 04/28/11 at 12:49 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

You know, I would say virtually every time one of these posts goes up I condemn the hit. But I really don’t find much fault for Ference here.  He literally did almost nothing, and Halpern had looked at him 2 strides out.

I found it odd that Halpern came back so quickly to the bench.  Isn’t there a mandatory concussion screening that takes freakin forever?

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/28/11 at 12:57 AM ET

Kind of reminded me of a Soccer game I saw one. Guy laying on the ice for no reason other than to draw a penalty.

Posted by Yardog from Buffalo on 04/28/11 at 12:57 AM ET

Why was Halpern heading towards Ference when the puck was heading the other way?

Posted by RoneFace on 04/28/11 at 12:58 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

Actually, I should be careful b/c I may have just decided that I saw him again by facial recognition (which is spotty at best in the playoffs)

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/28/11 at 01:00 AM ET

You know all the conspiratorial Pens fans that said Steckel accidentallyintentionally hit Crosby? This is that, but real.

Posted by false_cause from DC on 04/28/11 at 01:09 AM ET

I think this is a perfect example of the players protecting each other. Did Ference really do anything wrong, no. Why I think its unacceptable, is its like a lack of respect for each other. He knew Halpern was looking the other way, admiring his pass, and he could have just stood there and maybe the same thing happens, who knows. Instead he leans in a little for what? I really don’t think Halpern was trying to draw a penalty either. He got clocked pretty good on the chin/jaw and a lot of the time those are knock out blows. What happend to the 15 minute quite time? Is it on the trainer to say you have a concussion type symptom? Another case of the NHL rulebook being as clear as mud.

Posted by stuck in the soo on 04/28/11 at 01:23 AM ET

Looks like Halpern was going for a wide turn toget back on D, he was facing away from the play, and assumed the bruins were rushing down and that Ference would be racing down to join the rush. Meanwhile, Ference, who was facing the play, saw the puck was still up for grabs, and hung back until he saw the Bruins had control, staying in the path Halpern thought would be clear.  Ference probably saw Halpern in the corner of his eye coming right at him and leaned a little into him to protect himself, then boom.  Accidental.

Posted by herschel c. wollmack on 04/28/11 at 01:25 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

In other news: ‘Quiet room’ = most BS rule, ever?

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 04/28/11 at 01:47 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

That’s a blatant shoulder to the jaw and you can tell this by the shift in Ferrence’s weight on his legs. His knees go from pointing away from Halpern to pointing towards him and you see his hips shift as well. It should be one game for him. And yes, the quiet room is a joke.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/28/11 at 02:25 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

B’s player definately leaned into him.

Slightly. But not outside where his feet already were. He didn’t plant and drive into Halpern. He didn’t change his line of skating in the slightest, and he was barely moving at that. I don’t understand how Halpern didn’t see the guy there after looking right at him for a stride or two.

Some compared it to the Crosby hit, but I didn’t find that accurate at all. You can make the case that the Crosby collision was intentional. I didn’t see any hint of predatory action from the Boston player. It just looked clumsy.

The lack of quiet room time is what confuses me. After all the bluster about concussions, one would expect the new policy to be enforced.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/28/11 at 02:27 AM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I thought it was an intentional play on Ference’s part, whether or not it was cheap or illegal is a different story and a matter of perspective.  I got the impression that it was more of an intimidation play where he was refusing to give up his ice and not necessarily a play where he was looking for a head shot.  He initiated contact by not moving and put his shoulder into it. Halpern skated into him and it was definitely an odd collision given that Halpern looked right at him, but there was definitely some shoulder and bracing for impact on Ference’s part.  I’d be surprised if there was any supplemental discipline, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they review it.

Posted by PDXWing on 04/28/11 at 02:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

According to Bob McKenzie, Ference has a 11am phone conference call with the NHL today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/28/11 at 02:55 AM ET

Chet's avatar

he raises, then leads w/ his right shoulder, going out of his way to make contact.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/28/11 at 07:42 AM ET

I wasn’t able to watch this game, but I read that Halpern missed about 9 mins of the game. I assume that was quiet room time… And 9 mins of game time could be about 15 mins of real time.

But the quiet room is a dumb rule that can’t really be enforced. What is the other team going to do? Go to the refs and say “hey, I KNOW I got him good in the head, shouldn’t he have to sit out?”

Posted by Pstumba on 04/28/11 at 12:24 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

and…

going out of his way?  he was BARELY MOVING.  what you see as him raising his shoulder is just him bracing himself for the contact the OTHER player was initiating.

there was absolutely NO reason for there to be ANY contact on that play, and the Canadien player skated right at him while the puck went the other way.

this isn’t a penalty, isn’t a fine, isn’t a suspension, it isn’t ANYTHING.

when you skate directly at an opponent who is barely moving (rules say he has a right to his ice) and you crouch down and blast your face into his shoulder…you suffer the consequences.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/11 at 01:09 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so now a player doesn’t have the right to brace himself for contact when he sees a hit coming?  I won’t hold my breath for the league to write it into the rules that you must accept contact with preparation.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/11 at 01:11 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

.  He initiated contact by not moving

um, what?  two players collide and it was the one who was NOT moving who initiated contact?  this perplexes me.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/11 at 01:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Andrew Ference was in command of that piece of ice first.  He did not move into the contact and wasn’t moving when it happened.  By the rules of hockey, he’s not required to get out of Halpern’s way and has every right to brace himself for Halpern’s coming.

If anything, Halpern accidentally interfered with the Bruins player.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/28/11 at 01:19 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

He flat out moves into his way. Go to the 45 second mark. You see him curling to his left then, just before impact he shifts ever so slightly to his left and into Halpern. And yes, he can brace himself by putting his hand up instead of raising his shoulder. I don’t know about you, but when I’m playing the game and someone’s turning into me, I brace myself by extending my hand so that the guy hits the hand instead of colliding full bore into me.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/28/11 at 04:08 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Sorry, meant to say he was curling to his left then shifted slightly to his right.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/28/11 at 04:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m simply not ready to call a guy who is more or less at a standstill “shifting slightly to his right” for a penalty.  I went to the 45-second mark and I didn’t see Ference’s feet move at all.  Yeah, I saw him bracing to hit a guy that was skating at him though.

Yeah, Ference could have done something to prevent Halpern from colliding face-first with his shoulder-pads.  This is the head-on collision that the GMs and players decided would not fall under rule 48.  Halpern has the responsibility to watch where he’s going.

Should Ference have raised his hand into the guy to let him know what’s coming?  Yeah, maybe, but that’s a much more obvious move and I wouldn’t have been surprised to see the refs call him for interference, which would have been a horseshit call.

You’d really have him sit a game for bracing his shoulder?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/28/11 at 04:53 PM ET

This reminds me of the play Joe thornton was suspended for when David Perron barreled straight into his shoulder pads with his head down. I don’t know what people want ference to do here. Halpern skates right into him for no reason. Ference leans in Halpern’s direction a bit, sure, but what’s he supposed to do, exactly, other than what he did? He’s doesn’t have the puck, isn’t really moving and Halpern’s skating right at him, anyway; shouldn’t he be bracing for the hit? I guess he’s just supposed to let himself get run over.

It just underscores Campbell’s cluelessness that there was even a hearing for this play after he neglected to even look at several boards and elbows from earlier this week.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/28/11 at 05:06 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If the expectation is that suddenly defenders are going to be required to get out of the way for forwards skating through, then my pick for the Rocket Richard trophy next season is Tomas Holmstrom.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/28/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Ryan Smyth would have 80 goals a year under those rules.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/28/11 at 05:58 PM ET