Video- Subban With Two For Elbowing

Will the NHL review this hit from P.K. Subban on David Krejci?  The only other penalty was Andrew Ferance received two minors for roughing.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: david+krejci, p.k.+subban

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

He won’t get a damned thing now, but in the preseason he probably would’ve gotten five.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/13/12 at 02:17 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

One of the best turtle impressions I’ve ever seen.  What a f*cking coward.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 01/13/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

He is a SHIT! But how did Ference not get 5 & an instigator ?? because Pee EWWWW Turtled? Honest question

Posted by Evilpens on 01/13/12 at 02:31 PM ET

would not care if both are out for a month.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/13/12 at 02:38 PM ET

Anything less than 5 games would be a joke. This hit makes the smith hit look routine. Subban seems to have little regard for the safety or well being of his peers.
    Nice Lemieux impression by the way! Too bad D-Mac wasn’t there to pound some sense into him.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 01/13/12 at 02:55 PM ET

SK77's avatar

He didn’t turtle, he slipped on a banana peel.

Posted by SK77 on 01/13/12 at 03:12 PM ET

i assume you are talking about C. Lemieux?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/13/12 at 03:19 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

He should be suspended imo…  min 2 games.  I am sure he will get nothing.  Is Shanny really any better?  Suspending millionaires consistently - who knew it would be the toughest job ever… lol

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 01/13/12 at 03:24 PM ET

If you are being serious, of course it is a difficult job.  That is why it should not be one damn person.  It needs to be a group that makes these decisions together.  Maybe, even have every GM in the opposite conference submit their suggested suspension length to be used as an average.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/13/12 at 03:31 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

What a pu$$y. Yapping away in the penalty box too boot.
“Forearm shiver” or not, I’d say he clearly had his crosshairs on the head.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/13/12 at 03:53 PM ET

Wow.  You guys are insane.  Yes that was a suspendable elbow.  But what jumps out at me here is that Ference attacked him.  How is he supposed to fight back there?  Does anyone really think that it is okay to respond to a hit like that?  Subban doesn’t even have a chance to drop his gloves.  Let’s here some bullshxt about the instigator penalty.  C’mon, you neanderthal cocks, let’s here all about the big bad instigator penalty and its effect on the game. What the fvck is wrong with you guys, other than some hate-on for Subban?  Flat-out jumping a guy…now that’s some sweet UFC hockey.  I actually read a Bruin fan bummed to get a penalty out of this.  Holy fvck.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/13/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Subban doesn’t even have a chance to drop his gloves.

Too *#$%@& bad.  If he didn’t throw a blatant elbow you have a point, but if you’re going to throw a dirty hit then I don’t care if you have a chance to drop the gloves.

Flat-out jumping a guy…now that’s some sweet UFC hockey.

Yeah.  Retaliating after another player delivers a flying elbow to your teammate’s face.  What a jerk Ference was for reacting to that…

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 04:32 PM ET

Interesting attitude from Subban. Your team is in the cellar, well out of a playoff spot, you’re down 2-0 with less than 8 minutes to go against your oldest/fiercest rival, a divisional rival no less, about to sink further behind in the standings, you’ve wasted a strong showing from your oft-maligned goalie… and you’re smiling and laughing after giving a guy a headshot. No one on that roster has anything to smile and laugh about right now. Like I said, interesting attitude…

Posted by Rico Non-Suave on 01/13/12 at 04:44 PM ET

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/13/12 at 01:26 PM ET

Wow. I think maybe you’re insane. If thats what “jumps out at you” then you haven’t been watching hockey very long or you’re cutting Subban an awful lot of slack. That was a ridiculously dirty hit and if Subban says he wasn’t expecting to be jumped after that then hes a liar. What REALLY happened there was he turtled like a little baby. It was actually fairly funny watching Ference toss him around like a rag-doll. Any respect I might have had for Subban disappeared a long time ago. He’s a clown.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 01/13/12 at 04:55 PM ET

Just ignore ColtonOrr’sJock, he obviously has a hard on hate for the Bruins. What’s Ference supposed to do? Congradulate Subban for diliberately attempting to injure a teammate? Subban is a dirty player, flat out.

Funny how quickly you change your tune, why it was just a few days ago you were calling for Marchand’s head on a platter for an argueably less deliberate hit than Subban made here.

But then again it’s not surprising, you’re either a bitter Vancouver fan, (let it go already) or just a moron. My money is on both.

Posted by Realmk on 01/13/12 at 04:58 PM ET

What Ference should do is give Subban half a second to drop his gloves and fight.  That is not “reacting to a hit”, it is jumping someone.  I have no problem with fighting a guy for that dirty elbow.  But there is a big difference between fighting someone and attacking them.  Subban has fought before, so I don’t know why you think he wouldn’t have.  When you are getting ragdolled on the ground, it is pretty hard to get back in the fight.  As I noted, though apparently none of you read it, I think that the hit was suspendable.  But in my hockey book, it is never okay to attack someone UFC style.  Why you think that its okay is beyond me.  The fact that you have tiny child-like minds and assume that I think the elbow is okay is not my problem.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/13/12 at 05:12 PM ET

That is not “reacting to a hit”, it is jumping someone

The fact that you think there’s a difference voids what little credibility you may have had.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 05:49 PM ET

If you watch this video long enough, so that you see the third iteration of the hit, which is zoomed in, you’ll see that Subban completes the hit AND THEN extends his arm.

Yeah, he essentially punched Krejci in the face but he neither elbowed him or targeted the head.

Most of you have allowed the homer Boston announcers and a general anti-Subban media trend dictate what you see .... unbelievable. Good luck in life if you cannot even use your own eyes.

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 01/13/12 at 06:00 PM ET

The difference, Garth - if that is your real name -, is that when you jump someone, they might be fvcking Rocky but they lose the encounter because it is a beating, not a fight.  In a fight, both guys get their dukes up.  This is how men fight.  I realize that this is terribly confusing for a mentally-stunted Boston fan.  If you want to feel better about this, you can, and no doubt will, chant U-S-A the next time a firetruck drives past.
For some of you, my post will translate as, “I love Subban”.  I encourage you to enroll in an adult literacy class.
I am guessing he gets three games.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/13/12 at 06:10 PM ET

Wish there was an “edit comment” option here ... I posted in high temper would like to soften my tone as well as correct my post insofar as it is the fourth version of the hit that shows Subban did not elbow Krejci but extended his arm after the initial impact. On my last replay of the clip, I noted even the Boston announcer got that part right ... then they started in on the “he targeted the head”. But I guess in the end the refs got it right, giving Ference the extra two.

I hate that clean hits in the NHL are “attackable” by borderline goon players. Ference is a borderline goon ... but Subban’s hit was not clean, It was clean until he extended his arm and tried to make up for the fact that he did not get all of Krejci.

What I really do not understand about the NHL is how Ference’s non-hockey play attack of Subban is not a clear intent to injure and therefore subject to supplementary discipline.

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 01/13/12 at 06:33 PM ET

That was my take on it as well. the replay around the 1:20 mark is the best view.  Most of the contact was with the body, and not the flagrant elbow to the head that some are suggesting. He should get suspended for a game or two for getting his elbow up, and just so he can finally get the repeat offender status he seems to deserve.

Also, I dont see how you can be outraged by the Suban elbow, and then defend the vigilante justice from Ference and the Bruins.  I guess blows to the head are ok when they are delivered with fists

Posted by jwad on 01/13/12 at 06:44 PM ET

Hold on, Ference is a borderline goon? Seriously? Andrew Ference, who called out his own teammate (Paille) for a dirty hit last season? Really? In 291 regular season games with Boston (to date), Ference has racked up 217 penalty minutes. That’s 0.75 minutes/game. In his time in Boston he’s averaged 1 fighting major per 29.1 games. Meanwhile, in his 121 regular season games with Montreal, Subban has picked up 177 penalty minutes, averaging 1.46 minutes per game and 1 fighting major per 24.2 games. So if Ference is a “borderline goon”, what is Subban? Dave “The Hammer” Schultz reincarnated? Please.

Posted by Rico Non-Suave on 01/13/12 at 07:02 PM ET

Great point Suave.  The only thing dirty I remember Ference doing was the opportunistic headshot (on Darche maybe?) in the playoffs.  It was one of those, “he’s not looking and I’m in the lane” plays that hasn’t really been ruled on.  I hate the Bruins but if Ference is a borderline goon, then so is half the league.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/13/12 at 07:30 PM ET

Yeah, and when you elbow someone you deserve to get a beating.

And I’m sorry I’m using an obviously fake name.  Not all of use are brave enough to use an unregistered name like you.  I know the origin of the first name Tears, but what nationality is Forcoltonorr?

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 07:53 PM ET

Was that the Ference shoulder where Darche or whoever it was skated right into Ference and got sent down to the ice? Ference isn’t a dirty player, just a tough one that has no issue with standing up for his teammates.

Subban would have had no need to defend himself in the first place had he not extended his arm into Krejci’s face in the first place.  Thing is he does this sort of thing often. He was all smiles after as well, If my team was currently a celar dweller and one of our star players makings 7 million a year had yet to record one goal all season, while another got traded DURING a game, I wouldn’t be all smiles after taking a cheap shot at someone.

Posted by Realmk on 01/13/12 at 07:59 PM ET

I’ll stand behind my border-line goon assessment of Ference based on his tenure in both Calgary and Boston. The hit on Halpern is reason enough to doubt his bonafides and ... hey, wasn’t he the bright light whose glove finger got stuck in the “upright bird” position when leaving the ice of the Bell Center? Class Canadian boy, for sure.

I realise a lot of people who watch hockey think that he’s just a nuts and bolts player but the reality is he can only keep up and fulfill his role with a lot of interference. He’s particularly good at it, no question. But the difference between him and Subban is that Subban can skate, and can hit, and needs to learn to stop the Brad Marchand crap stupidity that he is prone to. Ference is long past being able to learn not to be a borderline goon because it’s the only way he can stay in the game.

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 01/13/12 at 08:58 PM ET

I’ll just go with the same assessment as TearsforColtonOrr: If Ference is a “borderline goon”, then so is half the league. The guy currently sits at #275 on the NHL penalty minute leaderboard for the season, well behind such noted goons as the Sedin twins, Jason Spezza, Michael Ryder, and Patrick Kane. He has exactly half as many penalty minutes this season as well-known knuckle dragger Teemu Selanne (that’s sarcasm, by the way). If you’re really willing to dig your heels in and stand by the claim that he’s a “borderline goon”, then you’ve obliterated any credibility you have in the discussion, regardless of what team you root for.

Posted by Rico Non-Suave on 01/13/12 at 09:17 PM ET

Rico, specious reasoning to dismiss my credibility? My eleven year old gives me that argument all the time. If you want to dis me, that’s okay. If you want to argue definition of terms, that is okay too. But don’t strawman me.

GP   G   A   PTS   +/-    PIM

678   29   143   172         1   584

The regular season is nearly a point a game ... and given what players get away with, border-line goon is what Ference is. You don’t have to like.

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 01/13/12 at 11:26 PM ET

Minute a game ... nothing like messing up your point to get it across ... ; )

Posted by Shaun from Toronto on 01/13/12 at 11:28 PM ET

@ Garth…..You really have a great sense of humour.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/14/12 at 02:30 AM ET

“Brave choice” on your name.  fvckwad.

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/14/12 at 02:32 AM ET

@ Garth…..You really have a great sense of humour.

Try being funny.

“Brave choice” on your name.  fvckwad.

Good one.

And learn to spell.

Posted by Garth on 01/14/12 at 04:12 AM ET

I didn’t misspell a single word you retarded piece of shxt.
I wrote “Garth, if that is your real name…..”
99% of people would know that was a joke.  Funny or not, you responded like it was an actual criticism.  Because you are a fvcking moron.
U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A!!!!

Posted by TearsforColtonOrr on 01/14/12 at 04:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I will not tolerate name-calling here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/12 at 04:06 PM ET

fvckwad.

Misspelled.

shxt

Misspelled.

I wrote “Garth, if that is your real name…..”
99% of people would know that was a joke.

Still.  Very funny.  Good one.

Funny or not, you responded like it was an actual criticism.

You’re good at getting sarcasm.

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A!!!!

Ok?

Posted by Garth on 01/14/12 at 04:32 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

My apologies to Garth and Paul.  That’s going to far.  I am sorry.  I am registered now and promise to stop being a crazy dick with the insults and rage filled humour.  There you go Garth; it is braver to be accountable.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/15/12 at 02:20 AM ET