Video- Someone Tell Me What Brian McGrattan Was Thinking?

5 minutes for interference and a game misconduct for this hit on Jared Boll.

The hit is at the very beginning of this game highlights video.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brian+mcgrattan

Comments

phillyd's avatar

Don’t think that should’ve been 5 and a game. Boll turns at the last instance and McGrattan has him lined from the side the whole way until that point. Now, it’s a stupid play that would’ve resulted in a penalty regardless so, no, I don’t know what he was thinking there.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 12/23/11 at 09:31 AM ET

Should have been two for charging.

Posted by Siggy25 on 12/23/11 at 11:22 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Couldn’t have happened to a player I like less.  I know I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get at least three comments from Pens fans crying for a suspension on this thread.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 12/23/11 at 11:29 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Maybe two for Boarding due to Boll being in that “danger zone” a couple feet away from the boards, but he looked right at McGratton and braced himself for the hit; it wasn’t blindside, and it wasn’t a headshot, but was quite late, so Charging or Interference would be acceptable as well.  Hell, maybe all three—has anyone ever had a triple minor called on them?  I can see a major, but the game misconduct is a little questionable.

As to what he was thinking?  He was probably trying to get Boll to drop the gloves.  Had Boll run over someone earlier in the game?  Had they been jawing at each other previously?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/23/11 at 12:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m assuming that charging and boarding aren’t mutually exclusive, so I’d definitely call this both of those. Although, it was called interference which I also agree with due to the late hit.

Getting the boot from the remainder of the game seems like the right punishment here. I don’t think I’d add any punishment on the end. However, I’m interested to see how this affects his status with the league.

I may be a bit fuzzy on the rules as far as the different categories of “repeat offender” here and how this plays in. though.  My understanding is that, since McGrattan was given a major for interference and neither boarding or charging nor a “stick-related infraction”, it doesn’t qualify him for the “you have to go 41 games before getting another of these or you’re automatically suspended” rule. McGrattan could get another five-and-a-game for interference five weeks from now and wouldn’t be considered a “repeat offender” by league rules.

I would say that, while no additional punishment is warranted, I would like to see this play (or any play where a guy gets a game) reviewed by the league to either certify or decertify whether that penalty call qualified him for repeat offender status for any future infractions (not just the specific infraction he already did).  The league decides this rather than the refs, because we’ve all seen guys get five and a game when it wasn’t warranted and quite frankly, I don’t want the refs having more power than they already do as far as getting players suspended.

In this instance, if McGrattan goes out in Columbus’ very next game and boards a guy viciously, this play should absolutely be part of the history the league can and does take into consideration when handing out the suspension deserved.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/23/11 at 01:45 PM ET

Maybe he was thinking, “he just dumped it in, I’ll lay a hit on him”.  It was a tiny bit late, but I don’t see it as boarding because Boll was not in a vulnerable position and should reasonably have braced himself.  2 for charging, but not even extreme.  Great headline.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt on 12/23/11 at 02:52 PM ET