Video- Sharks Postgame Reacts To Roenick’s Remark About Marleau

via David Pollak of the Mercury News,

Former Shark Jeremy Roenick, now a commentator for Versus, characterized Patrick Marleau’s performance as “gutless” and questioned his former teammate’s heart.

When it was suggested that Marleau might be injured, Roenick, who has criticized Marleau in the past as well, said: “Yeah, he’s hurt—right here,” circling his heart.

In my opinion, if you call a player gutless as Roenick did of Marleau, you better back it up with proof, which he did not.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeremy+roenick, patrick+marleau

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Roenick finally did what Versus/NBC wants him to do in drumming up controversy.

Patrick Marleau scares the crap out of me.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/09/11 at 12:05 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Well, JR is no Wings fan that’s for sure so I think he made that comment about Marleau out of frustration and was just trying to motivate the guy.
I think JR would be better as a color commentator instead of a Versus analyst.
Made he could work with Remenda doing Sharks games tongue laugh

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/09/11 at 12:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I have no real problem with it.  I noted in the GDT on A2Y that Marleau was one of the 3 important SJ players who spent much of the 3rd period playing like he was trying to not get hit rather than to make the play.  Sharks spent way too much time diving instead if driving, and Marleau was a frequent offender in the 3rd, repeatedly flopping and trying to draw tripping calls instead of just making the strong play.

Now… should Roenick have noted Marleau wasn’t the only one?  Probably.  But that in no way vindicates Marleau either…  he was part of it.

The Wings flat-out BULLIED the Sharks around in the 3rd on the Sharks’ own ice.  And the Sharks didn’t answer until the final horn sounded and they tried to take some cheap shots…

Posted by Primis on 05/09/11 at 12:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If I’m calling anybody on the Sharks “gutless” after that game last night, I choose Joe Thornton for intentionally targeting Franzen’s injured ankle and then diving like a bitch.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/09/11 at 12:24 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Based on Roenick’s appearance and the way he said it, I took as a joke/goad; like he was mocking his former teammate to get more out of him, not really calling him out. Plus, I keep hearing people say Roenick called him “gutless.” Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t hear him say that (I saw it live, but haven’t watched it again).

IMHO…A.) lacking heart, B.) being gutless and C.) simply being owned by the best player in the game are three very different things. I would definitely say Marleau was guilty of C and maybe A, but I don’t think his performance really qualifies for B. (I guess I reserve the “G” word for cheap shot artists.)

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/09/11 at 12:27 PM ET

I think we have to be careful how we interpret his usage of the word “gutless”.  I think most people hear “gutless” and they think of “a cowardly cheapshot”, but he was using the term to say he didn’t have any “guts” or “heart” out on the ice, which I agree with.  JR just used a synonym that most people don’t associate with hockey, since in hockey we like to get stuck with the same terms over and over and over again.  I think if he said that his performance lacked “drive” or “heart”, it wouldn’t have even been noticed as a “controversy”, which is all he was trying to convey.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 05/09/11 at 12:36 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Roenick definitely called Marleau “gutless”.  He used that exact word.  I watched it live and watched it again (along with the entire 3rd period).

It wasn’t called for.  Marleau didn’t have a great game and hasn’t had a great series to date, but you can’t through the word “gutless” around like that.  Roenick is an idiot blowhard.  I liked him as a player more often than not, but find him incredibly irritating as a commentator.  He’s best ignored.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/09/11 at 12:39 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

The Sharks played well, and it certainly wasn’t a gutless effort by any of their players last night.

I think game-to-game and period-to-period in this series has shown that despite San Jose going up 3 games to 0, these teams are separated by very little.

Games 1 and 3 were right there for either team to take. The Sharks poured it in on Howard in their three home games thus far, and the Wings poured pucks on Niemi in their two home games. And both goalies stood on their heads to steal a road game. There were times, especially in games 2 and 3 where the Sharks were playing like men against a Wings team of boys. And there were times early in game 1 and certainly in game 4 where the Wings returned the favor. With game 5, the Sharks were great at getting pucks to the net, but the Wings countered with great goaltending through 2 periods, and a dominant net-front presence in the third period.

So… I think it is clear that all the players in this series on both teams have played with a lot of “guts” at times, but also had the tables turned on them at others. I think that’s just a function of how close these teams are at every position than it is anything to do with “guts” or “heart” or lack thereof.

If you really want to criticize Marleau’s “intangibles,” I think you’d best go back to when he was stripped of the captaincy, or consider how he’s never won anything relevant outside of national team duty, despite the fact he’s got a lot of talent and has been on a lot of very talented teams.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/09/11 at 12:54 PM ET

Yeah, he definitely meant it in terms of lacking heart, and the video that played under Remenda’s rebuttal pretty much backs up what JR said.  I don’t remember hearing Marleau’s name at all besides the way he was made to look foolish by Datsyuk on the last goal.

Posted by Garth on 05/09/11 at 12:57 PM ET

As a lifelong Sharks fan I loudy applaud Roenick for telling the truth. On his twitter fed Roenick said that “Marleua turns on every check and gives pushes”. He also said that if Marleau gave the same effort as Ryan Kessler that Marleau would be unstopable.

And Roenick is spot on the mark. Watch Marleau and his game. It’s all in space and all floating. He does not hit, play tough in the middle or even play defense. I say watch the guy play.

Offensively the guy looks for the breakaway, or the tip in HE NEVER stands in front of the net and does the dirty work. His stick work is soft and lazy too.

Posted by Roenick is my Hero on 05/09/11 at 01:14 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Roenick definitely called Marleau “gutless”.

I humbly stand corrected.

Totally agree with the first and third statements, but I found him even more irritating as a player than I do as a commentator (although I do have to admit his idiocy is occasionally entertaining).

Amen.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/09/11 at 01:19 PM ET

Roenick is an ex-teammate of Marleau, so I assume this is a little more than Jeremy’s usual ‘talking out his ***’ schtick. Is it classless? Well, yeah, but Roenick has never had class, nor is he paid to act with it. If VS/NBC wanted an intermission guy who’d be classy rather than controversial, they’d have given his job to somebody like Weekes.

Honestly, I’d rather watch Roenick put his foot in his mouth than watch Healy whine about Andrew Ference, the Green Men and thing that-has-something-to-do-with-the-union-during-situation-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-union.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/09/11 at 01:24 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by steviesteve on 05/09/11 at 11:24 AM ET

True, the only thing worse than the stupidity of the commentary provided on Versus and NBC is the pomposity of the commentary provided on CBC.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/09/11 at 01:29 PM ET

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/09/11 at 11:29 AM ET

If given the option of watching Versus/NBC or CBC I’ll still pick CBC 100 times out of 100.

Except if the option is to watch Versus/NBC or Don Cherry.  In that case, I’ll watch five minutes of whatever is on any other channel at that time.

Posted by Garth on 05/09/11 at 01:44 PM ET

I’ve started switching to NHL network for intermissions. They do a pretty good job. Weekes/that old Capitals coach sit around and talk about what each team’s doing well and not doing well and go over a bunch of video, thankfully sparing me from Healy’s sanctimony and Roenick’s random babbling.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/09/11 at 01:51 PM ET

awould's avatar

Gutless? Poor choice of words. No heart? Sure. Total lack of intensity? Yes.

Marleau was basically blamed a couple years ago by everyone in SJ when they went out in the first round. And they were right. He isn’t a playoff guy and deserves to be criticized for it. I think that’s what Roenick was saying and he’s right.

Posted by awould on 05/09/11 at 01:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m honestly and genuinely surprised so many of you are rushing to Marleau’s defense, regardless of allegiance.

If you guys have replays available, really WATCH that 3rd period again, and watch the guys I mentioned.  As soon as Kronwall and Abdelkader started hitting, these guys started shying away.  Thornton’s dive on Franzen was hardly the only time he tried the trick himself, Setoguchi suddenly started avoiding contact altogether it seemed, and I can think of 2 specific times in the third when the Sharks were trying to clear the puck and Marleau had the chance to, and instead of fighting through to make the play he dove to the ice and then got up incredulous there was no tripping call (and the one time the stick he must have thought there simply wasn’t).  And both times the clear failed.  A third time he dove and the clear still got out somehow…

Roenick undoubtedly saw that, and regardless of what you thought of him as a player diving was never a part of his game and it probably really, really bothered him, which is why he singled him out.

But my god, Roenick isn’t wrong about Marleau folding when the game got tough… I’d like to see the take of more Sharks fans and what they think?

Posted by Primis on 05/09/11 at 01:57 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is just typical Roenick verbal diarrhea.  I do not understand why NBC/Versus insist on having him on the broadcast.  Roenick is a moron who thinks that saying something edgy is the same as making meaningful commentary, ala Don Cherry.  Its a tired act, and a more serious broadcast wouldn’t let him near a microphone.

Roenick also has a history for shameless homerism (which has no place on a national broadcast).  How about last year when he cried over the Hawks winning?

I think this marks the third occasion Roenick has tried to affect a Wings series in the past three or fours years.  Seriously Jeremy STFU.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/09/11 at 02:01 PM ET

Primis's avatar

In other news… you guys actually WATCH intermissions on national telecasts?

Posted by Primis on 05/09/11 at 02:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/09/11 at 11:57 AM ET

My initial knee-jerk reaction was to be surprised, but going back and watching the goals to analyze them, Marleau absolutely did shy away from contact and failed to really battle for much.

This series isn’t over.  The last thing I want is for Marleau to suddenly start playing with a chip on his shoulder.

I still think Thornton’s chicken-shit behavior was more “gutless” than anything else that happened on the ice last night.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/09/11 at 02:11 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

(pssst…don’t tell them, but we want them to keep playing the way they did in the 3rd.)

AS I WAS SAYING…PATRICK MARLEAU IS A REAL MAN’S MAN WHO NEVER BACKS DOWN FROM A CHALLENGE, JUMBO JOE THORNTON IS CLASS PERSONIFIED, EDDIE VLASIC IS BETTER THAN ANY KIND OF PICKLE AND JOE PAVELSKI IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT A STINKING TURD.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/09/11 at 02:12 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

EDDIE VLASIC

SORRY, MARK EDDIE VLASIC

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/09/11 at 02:14 PM ET

This get’s me worried.  Marleau can be world class when he has a heartbeat.  Roenick may have just applied the paddles of life to his chest.  Favorite Roenick moment was last year after Chicago had won the cup…Dan Patrick noticed he was crying on air…asked if it made him emotional that his old team won the cup…Roenick said no, he was crying because he never won a cup.  I guess he’s honest.  It’s always about J.R.

Posted by hockeyguy from UP on 05/09/11 at 02:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I doubt the sharks players actually give sh!t what comes out of that blowhard’s piehole. I doubt even JR believes have of the crap that he spews. He says it just to be bombastic and get a reaction.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/09/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Coming from the guy who Keenan BENCHED for 2 Goons Mike Peluso & Stu Grissom against the Pens in their 2nd Cup year this rings like a Attention Whore trying to get attention

Posted by Evilpens on 05/09/11 at 04:07 PM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

Hey wasn’t Roenick the guy that left the arena and eat a steak during the game because he was scratched. Showed a lot of heart there JR. I remember back in 1992 when he whined the whole SCF about the referees. Lucky it was a 4 game sweep so he would shut the hell up

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 05/09/11 at 04:58 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 05/09/11 at 02:07 PM ET
Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 05/09/11 at 02:58 PM ET

Not sure what either of those things has to do with “heart” or “guts”.

Posted by Garth on 05/09/11 at 05:11 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You think Roeny with cry if the Sharks win it all too?  We’ll never know…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/11 at 05:21 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Not sure what either of those things has to do with “heart” or “guts”. Of course you wouldn’t see Benching your best player because he blew goats in the SC final & played 2 Talentless goons. Again you are not the brightest bulb in the Chandelier

Posted by Evilpens on 05/09/11 at 05:30 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’d be him.
Same sissy who texted his agent “I guess I’ll retire now since nobody wants meeeeeeee”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/09/11 at 06:04 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

A much bigger headline would be Roenick saying ANYTHING worth hearing, ever.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/09/11 at 10:40 PM ET