Video- Shane Doan 5 & A Game For Boarding

Trevor Lewis of the LA Kings was the recipient of the hit.

thanks to gwyshynski for uploading the video

added 11:41pm, Watch the TSN version of the hit below…

added 11:58pm, Just shaking my head on this one, perhaps he should stick to the NBA…

from Eric Goldschein of the Sports Grid,

Shane Doan was thrown out of tonight’s Coyotes-Kings game for a boarding call that made a bloody mess out of Trevor Lewis’ face. But was he the victim of what the NHL would consider a “flop”? The NBA knows all about flopping, but hockey players wouldn’t know how to fake an injury if they tried. Unfortunately, this looks to be the exception.

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shane+doan

Comments

The Hurricane's avatar

What???? Not Shane Doan! I can’t be the only one waiting for this to have happened….
Thank God Lewis doesn’t look too banged up.

Next time, Shane, just grab the back of his head after the whistle and slam his head into the glass so hard it shatters his helmet….that won’t get you penalized.

Posted by The Hurricane on 05/16/12 at 12:24 AM ET

Lewis did turn but Doan has more than enough time to attempt to stop or adjust his trajectory. Five and a game is right, however a suspension will probably not result as Lewis turned. Still, terrible play from Doan.

Posted by Iggy_Rules on 05/16/12 at 12:36 AM ET

Smart play, captain.

Lewis DID turn his back to Doan at the very last second and clearly saw him coming at him just prior to the hit. Obviously Doan needs to refrain from going all out with that hit, but Lewis is partially to blame in this situation. Either way the Coyotes as I know them are emerging in this pivotal game and have now probably lost their season…which is fine with me.

Posted by godblender on 05/16/12 at 12:40 AM ET

perfection's avatar

this was a tough one. I guess the refs can’t let it go, but when you see it in real time, I really don’t think it was physically possible for Doan to hold up. It’s not like the guy had his should facing him and turned slightly, he was full blown facing him and did an entire 180 degree turn at the last second after he saw Doan barreling in. It’s a tough one for sure. Perhaps the blood leaves the refs no choice, but I think a game misconduct is pretty harsh for this play

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/16/12 at 12:42 AM ET

Paul's avatar

If you are following along, I’ve added to the post, guy claiming Lewis “flopped”.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/16/12 at 01:00 AM ET

Shanaban has a long night and day ahead of him.

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/16/12 at 01:13 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Wow, flopped? Yeah, the guy turned and that was stupid, but I highly doubt it was to draw a call. That face isn’t an “ha ha gotcha sucker” face of a flopper. Its an “oh crap my nose is broken” grimace of pain.

Doan has a history of over the line hits, but this one was not on him. I’d buy a simple penalty because of the results and high speed game and all that. And I suppose 5 and a game is standard operating procedure on boarding with injury, but a suspension would be out of line here.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 05/16/12 at 01:15 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Malts was a pro at doing stuff like this, but Doan should know better.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/16/12 at 01:35 AM ET

Doan turned to make the hit, his head was turned away when he made contact.  I’m not sure he even realized Lewis had turned into the position he did.  Watch Doan’s head in the second video.

Doan is ultimately responsible, he made the hit and drove Lewis’s head into the boards, but WTF was Lewis thinking turning like that.  That was ridiculous.

Also, I’m a die hard wings fan, but drop the bitching about Zetterberg/Weber incident.  You guys are making us all look like whiners.

Posted by Nick on 05/16/12 at 01:44 AM ET

Wow, stupid play by Lewis there. Doan is definitely NOT to blame for this hit.

Posted by Daniel from Sweden on 05/16/12 at 08:27 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Paul, aren’t you saying you think he flopped, with the NBA comment in the original post?

I have to strongly disagree. Lewis definitely knew a hit was coming and made a really dumb decision to turn his back to the hit instead of getting his stick up or staying sideways, but this is far from NBA flop-esque. Doan didn’t deserve to be kicked out and he definitely doesn’t deserve suspension but Lewis just made a bad decision that cost him some pain and blood, nothing that was unsportsmanlike.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/16/12 at 09:49 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think he’s saying that Eric Goldschein should stick to writing about the NBA instead of taking forays into hockey.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/16/12 at 10:02 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I have always thought that Doan was underrated as one of the dirtier players in the league. He’s not the dirtiest by far, but seeing what he did to Franzen a couple years ago and what he seems to keep on doing, I think I might be a little bit correct.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/16/12 at 10:27 AM ET

Doan shouldn’t get any supplemental discipline for this one, inspite of his history.

Posted by timbits on 05/16/12 at 10:28 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Nathan, No, I was just pointing out what the author wrote.

The only person who flops in hockey is the goalie, and we all know when that happens.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/16/12 at 11:22 AM ET

@Chris

I am with you there, all this talk of Doan being so “classy” really gets to me. Yeah, maybe he is classy off the ice, but on it? Hell no.

I was indifferent to him before I saw him cross-check Toews in the back of the head in Toews’ first game back from a concussion. Toews was on the ice, the puck was gone, done went out of the way to get a shot in. Hockey is a tough game, but targeting a guys head who is just coming back from a concussion is absolutely classless.

Because of Doan, and Mike Smith’s flopping and overall douchitude(and kinda cause he was really good and beat the hawks), I hope the Yotes go down in flames.

Anyone know why Doan has the “classy” label? I think its cause he stuck with the yotes, but lets be honest, he only did that because his family loves Phoenix, wasn’t there talk back in the day that if they Yotes moved he wouldn’t go with them, and in fact he would ask to get traded to a team close to the area?

Posted by pstumba on 05/16/12 at 11:38 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

I didn’t see it in this version, but watching the game last night I thought that Lewis turned because he lost the puck in his feet and wanted to get it back. Not the smartest decision, but not a flop or other attempt to draw a penalty either.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 05/16/12 at 11:43 AM ET

1) Not a smart play by Lewis. Absolutely dangerous.
2) Doan might not have been able to totally avoid contact, but he also could have held up on the hit by reaching around him.
3) That’s not a “flop.” I highly doubt Lewis planned on getting his face planted into the boards. He was trying to protect the puck, in a reckless way. Worse yet is calling it a “faked injury.” Dude’s nose got smashed.

Posted by Dave on 05/16/12 at 12:50 PM ET