Video- Rinne On Omark’s Latest Shootout Winner

from Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal,

“He comes with a lot of speed and makes you back off, but I don’t think he did anything special,” said Rinne after the Predators’ record fell to 6-4 in shootouts. “He made a nice move, but I thought he fanned on the shot. He was trying to go upstairs and fanned on it and I was leaning a little bit.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: linus+omark, pekka+rinne

Comments

Link_Gaetz's avatar

I’m pretty sure he did exactly what he was trying to do, and it looked filthy.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 03/02/11 at 12:31 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

His blade angle in the slow mo’s looked like he was trying to go upstairs, but what do I know.  Looked great at full speed.

Posted by Zaze on 03/02/11 at 12:56 PM ET

Looked like he was trying to replicate his most famous one from a Sweden-Switzerland game two years ago, except at twice the speed.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 03/02/11 at 01:22 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Agree with LG, he did what he wanted to do.  Opened the blade to get Rinne to lift his right leg up and slid is under… sick.

Of course I refuse to watch shootouts, I can’t even explain how much I hate them.  Doesn’t take away from my appreciation of the skill some of these guys have!

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 03/02/11 at 02:16 PM ET

It’s pretty clear from the slo mo that he did exactly what he wanted to do.  It’s time for goalies who get scored on by Omark to tip their hat or shut up.

Posted by CallMeJerry on 03/02/11 at 02:21 PM ET

Yeah really.  This kid is just awesome at shootouts.  End of story.

Posted by Geno71 on 03/02/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

He’s making a mockery of the game of hockey!11 I refuse to be entertained!11!

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/02/11 at 02:53 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

This was a huge two points (for Ottawa).

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 03/02/11 at 02:54 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i think he did it on purpose.

datsyuk tried this same play last year or the year before. it’s the variation of the move the datsyuk actually made popular but if the goalie anticipates and slides over to take away the upstairs shot, you bail out with the little far side flip. it definitely doesn’t seem like a fan to me. and i believe datsyuk actually missed when he tried this.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/02/11 at 03:14 PM ET

It’s a little like Datsyuk’s deke against Turco (then of Dallas) and Vokoun (then of Nashville).

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/02/11 at 04:38 PM ET

CPSLOgoalie31's avatar

From a goalie’s perspective, it looked like he heeled it a little bit, which is why it stayed low.  In that situation, usually guys try to go high.  Either way, there was plenty to shoot at once he got the goalie to commit.  Great move though, the simplest stuff works the best.

Posted by CPSLOgoalie31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 03/02/11 at 10:43 PM ET