Video- Matt Carkner Supsended For 1 Game

Brendan Shanahan tells us why…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+carkner

Comments

SolidTG7's avatar

I don’t need to watch the video, lemme guess.  No injury therefore no real suspension.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 04/15/12 at 10:51 PM ET

Brendan Shanahan needs to stop wasting internet bandwidth.

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/15/12 at 10:54 PM ET

I swore I saw Carcillo maul Bradley and get 4…

ONE game?  Awesome job, Shanky…

Guess he’s prepping himself for the zero suspensions in the PIT-PHL game.  Awesome job.  Tim & Eric would be so proud…

BTW, Neal better get three…

Posted by Bob Chipeska from Washington, DC on 04/15/12 at 10:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Faux you, Shanahan.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/15/12 at 11:05 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Illegal and excessively violent act…repeat offender…oh but wait, Boyle didn’t leave the game so all is well.  1 game.

This league and playoffs are an embarrassment.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/15/12 at 11:19 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

No apparent injury.

God only knows what would happen should there be a real injury. I think you’d have to kill a man to get more than a one game right now.

How long until someone sits a game supposedly “injured” to get a better result?

These are the Playoffs, it’s every night, it’s the time the casual viewer and the far away fan starts to get interested, it’s fan recruitment season, yet this is what they choose to roll out to the world.

Despite some fancy words and a couple of youtube videos, nothing in this league really changes, fans get ripped off left right and centre, Bettman just won’t leave (nor stop handing the cup out), the referees make terrible, uneven calls and, most of all, the disciplinary procedures are far, far, far too ridiculous to allow the NHL to be considered the greatest league in the world.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 04/15/12 at 11:30 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

ignore the “more than one game” thing, I came over from facebook and didn’t see the three for Hagelin.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 04/15/12 at 11:33 PM ET

Mrfluffy and scotts0, very well said—couldn’t agree more.  I feel like the plaoffs are going down the wrong path.  It’s not great hockey right now; it’s a race to inflict as many headshots on the opposition as possible.

I am really curious to see how some of these close out games go down for the losing teams.  Specifically, pit/phil, sj/stl, and ott/nyr. I think the losing team will take even more runs at opposing players.  The precedence was set with weber and now reinforced with burns and the weakass suspensions today.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/15/12 at 11:41 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m glad to see Brendan found Colin’s old dusty wheel. Keep on spinning it!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/12 at 01:47 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Not saying it’s right (it isn’t), but I think perhaps part of the reason for the shorter suspensions is the postseason is shorter. It’s more about the percentage of time missed than the raw time missed. Stupid, but I think that might be the rationale.

If anything, my opinion is that these sorts of things should be punished even more strictly in the playoffs. That would send a message. Do something stupid and all of a sudden you’re out for the duration of the current series you’re in. How’s that sound?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/16/12 at 11:26 AM ET

So, an elbow coming up on a hockey play gets three games.
Pummeling a defenseless player with your fists gets one.

way to go Shanny.  Keep up the good work

Posted by jwad on 04/16/12 at 11:39 AM ET

Actually jwad, pummeling a defenseless player gets you a fine (weber) or nothing at all (burns).  Pummeling a cheap shot artist like boyle will get you one.  Hahahaha, I never thought that I would say thIs, but I feel like tuning out the rest of the playoffs.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/16/12 at 01:18 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/16/12 at 11:18 AM ET

I’m torn. On one hand, I’m disgusted at the circus it has become, but on the other hand, it’s hard to look away… it is sickeningly good entertainment. Too bad it’ll be sad when we’re hearing about these guys offing themselves when they’re 50 because their brains are totally messed up.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/16/12 at 05:45 PM ET