Video- Martin St. Louis With The Shootout Winner - Or Was It?

Rule 24 Penalty Shot/Shootout Goal- The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

Some say motion stopped and remember, there is no rule that states puck must be moving forward.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: martin+st.+louis

Comments

What do they consider motion?  He was pretty much stopped besides his hands. I think it could of gone either way. With that said I think they should disallow these. Make it so the player has to have a continous motion in one direction or something. I hope they do something with these OTs though. I’d love to see them do a 8 min OT half 4 on 4 and half 3 on 3. Then do a SO if necessary.

Posted by Stuck in the Soo on 03/10/11 at 02:31 AM ET

KohoDonuts88's avatar

Whatever he did, it worked.  Do we need that? I don’t know. It’s kind of a slap in the face a little bit, you know? Maybe it’s a little too much, I don’t know. To get beaten in the shootout and to get beaten with something like that, it’s tough to take, but he did it and it worked.

Posted by KohoDonuts88 from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada on 03/10/11 at 03:35 AM ET

I’ve always thought the spin-o-rama in the SO is bush-league. You’re a pro, St. Louis; not some chode in a drop-in. It’s about as impressive as a back-flip in the x-games (I’m shooting for the most hyphens in a comment record). I agree with 3 on 3 OT after 5mins. There was an situational 3 on 3 overtime earlier this year, and it was surprisingly fun to watch (I don’t think anyone scored either!).

Posted by Jesters Dead on 03/10/11 at 04:08 AM ET

That was disrespectful

Posted by Roboturner from Michigan on 03/10/11 at 04:10 AM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

if it’s allowed, and it scores a goal, who can possibly call it disrespectful?  That’s bull.  it’s not like headshots or Bertuzzi punches, it’s a goal in a shootout, which we all can agree is baloney anyway.

Posted by mmuskrat on 03/10/11 at 09:04 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Apparently mmuskrat isnt familiar with the Oilers-Lighting “spin-o-gate” from a few months ago. I think it was Linus Omark who did it. And if i’m not mistaken Stamkos did the same shot a few days later.

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/10/11 at 10:27 AM ET

Yeah, and I’m pretty sure the Lightning bitched over Omark’s attempt and then do it themselves… hypocrit.

In my opinion, it should not have counted.  He cleary stopped all forward moment.

Posted by Adam on 03/10/11 at 10:44 AM ET

Primis's avatar

“disrespect”... sheesh.

I’m going to recall the quote from an NBA official when Kobe Bryant was whining about trying to get a foul at the end of a game recently.  The ref looked him in the eye and responded “Just make the shot”.  Just STFU, and make make the shot next time instead of whining because you missed it.

In this case… STFU and stone the shooter next time,  Stop trying to find excuses.  Stop trying to find an out.  Just stone him next time, and stop the shot.  When you start stopping it, guys will stop using it.  It’s not a surprise anymore to see, goalies know it is coming.

Just stop the shot.

I really don’t like the sissy, whining league the NHL is becoming.  We already have one of those, it’s called the NBA, and nobody watches it…

Posted by Primis on 03/10/11 at 10:44 AM ET

I’ll say one thing…Tampa likes to tip toe on that fine line in their shootouts.

Posted by Geno71 on 03/10/11 at 10:52 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

Looks to me to be a stop just as much as most people do at a stop sign with the coast clear.  For all intents and purposes, you stop, but it’s really a slow down to ~5% of the speed you were going at.  I think St. Louis did the same thing here. But it was close enough to a stop to merit further scrutiny.

There’s nothing wrong with the spin-o-rama if you can do it with the rules.  I don’t think this one was as clean as some we’ve seen and is borderline. Sucks that the refs are forced to make this judgment on the ice in the heat of the moment.  Is this reviewable?

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 03/10/11 at 12:14 PM ET

Yeah…they went to Toronto for the review.  They took about 30 seconds to look at it and called it a good goal.

Posted by Geno71 on 03/10/11 at 12:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I can’t understand why the went to Toronto for the review.  The puck clearly crossed the line, does Toronto now have the right to interpret the rule?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/10/11 at 12:22 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/10/11 at 09:22 AM ET

Actually they do. I remember an instance, actually including TB also, 2 seasons ago in the SO. Mike Smith’s stick came out while attempting a save going across the crease. He stopped the puck, but Toronto ruled he threw the stick at the player/puck thereby calling it an automatic goal. After a long review the ruling of a save on the ice was overturned, and it was the GWG. If Toronto agreed with the on ice refs, play would have continued. Smith was livid. I saw it live, and I think Toronto was wrong. And it DIRECTLY cost TB a point.

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/10/11 at 01:04 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Also google: mike smith throws stick shootout, for video etc

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/10/11 at 02:14 PM ET

bettman has the worst officals of all the major sports, even worst than baseball , and especially the n.b.a. which i think was the worst but after watching a lot of n.h.l. games these officals are the most inconsistant.

Posted by joe pellegrino from florida on 03/10/11 at 02:48 PM ET

Toronto got this one wrong folks, he stopped, there was no continuous motions.  Crap goal.

Posted by Steve from Chicago on 03/10/11 at 04:07 PM ET

ON MY OPINION THAT IS NOT A GOOD GOAL, HE STOPPED FOR A MOMENT!!!

Posted by Don from usa on 03/10/11 at 09:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Loved hearing the Chicago guys whine about this on the radio last night.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/10/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Oh FFS, what if Crawford made that save on Marty?  Jeebus…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/10/11 at 10:16 PM ET

Rule 24 para 24.2 The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line.

Posted by RckyMtnOyster on 03/10/11 at 11:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I agree with Markk. St Louis did not stop completely, he slowed down a lot but not entirely.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 03/13/11 at 05:49 PM ET