Video- Kulda Suspended Three Games For Hit On Martinek

from IIHF.com,

On Saturday, in the Czech Republic-Latvia game, Latvian defenceman Arturs Kulda delivered a tough check on Czech defenceman Radek Martinek in the first period. Martinek fell to the ice and stayed there motionless until the medical staff carried him off on a stretcher.

The IIHF Disciplinary Panel reviewed the situation and decided to hand Kulda a three-game suspension on Sunday.

continued

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: arturs+kulda, radek+martinek

Comments

3 games? Wow, wasn’t much to it!!!  Unless I am tainted by Campbell’s wheel of justice.

Posted by timbits on 05/01/11 at 12:42 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Geez, for that?

Sucks he got hurt, but I didn’t see anything wrong with that hit. At worst you call it charging due to the distance the guy had to track him, but he came gliding in to the hit.

Is the IIHF known for this kind of harsh/reactionary suspension policy?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 05/01/11 at 01:23 PM ET

Wow, when I saw replays of the hit, I thought he’d get 1 game.  3 seems like too much.

Also, I wonder how much of an affect the seamless glass had on Martinek’s injury.

Posted by Susan on 05/01/11 at 06:13 PM ET

Does Martinek have a history of concussions? That looked like a pretty pedestrian hit to cause that much damage.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/01/11 at 07:08 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

i heard somewhere that he got a spinal injury and a concussion from the hit as well.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/01/11 at 08:46 PM ET

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/01/11 at 06:46 PM ET

Yesterday, I read that he had a concussion and a spinal injury. However today on the IIHF website, it say he has a concussion and a hematoma. My guess is that either it was suspected that he had a spinal injury and further testing proved otherwise or that the hematoma is located near his spine.

Posted by steviesteve on 05/01/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Not really. According to his TSN profile, he missed a week with a concussion 8 years ago.

Posted by Susan on 05/01/11 at 10:13 PM ET

Martinek fell to the ice and stayed there motionless

Wrong. He stood up first, then layed slowly down. Also there waas no hit in head, it was firm shoulder. Jumping occured AFTER collision just to keep up balance otherwise Kulda would fell upon Martinek.

Also there is no evidence brought by IIHF Disciplinary Panel, so its 100% clear that Kulda received penalty just because of Czechs are champions, and favorites while Latvians are 12th-to-8th-placers. Thus Latvians are not allowed to check Czechs against boards while Czechs can check Latvian goalkeeper and get away without penalty.

Posted by Lame on 05/02/11 at 12:28 PM ET