Video- Joe Thornton With The OT Winner

On to the Western Conference Semifinals for the Sharks.

Here is the goal as described b the TSN crew…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: joe+thornton

Comments

PuckStopsHere's avatar

How does this goal fit with the narrative that Joe Thornton is a playoff choker?

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 04/26/11 at 03:47 AM ET

You tell me since you were perpetuating that narrative before the playoffs started.

Posted by RoneFace on 04/26/11 at 03:59 AM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

False RoneFace

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 04/26/11 at 04:00 AM ET

False RoneFace

Could have sworn you posted something about playoff underachievers but I’m not seeing it so maybe I was wrong.

Posted by RoneFace on 04/26/11 at 04:03 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

The Sharks were fairly healthy, while the Kings were missing Anze Kopitar ... yet both each team scored 20 goals total in the season, and the Sharks needed overtime for three of their four wins. Does this say more that the Sharks have a hard time closing out an inferior opponent, or that the Kings showed more talent and hard work than they were expected to demonstrate going into the series, I wonder.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Sharks show a sharper focus in the next series after having made it through the first round or not. They seemed a bit distracted at times in this series, as though some of them thought about the Kings as just a formality and were really interested in whatever their next opponent might turn out to be. Looking ahead in the playoffs is probably much less common than in the regular season, but I’d be surprised if it never happened.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/26/11 at 04:25 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Well I’m a huge Sharks fan ... second only to the Wings ... so I’ve been fortunate enough to watch Joe weave his regular-season magic on the teevee at least fifty times a season for the last five years. So yeah, he ain’t half bad with the puck.

As for your question, well, Thornton racked up 5 points in 6 games – one of which was the game winning goal that helped the number 2 seed Sharks advance past the number 7 seed Kings in the 1st round.

I guess if you’re a fan of certain franchises then getting past the first round over a seven seed missing one of their best offensive players is the stuff of legends.

As I’ve been closely following the Sharks since they came into the league I feel confident in saying that they’re going to have to do a lot more than advancing to the second round off a chipped in rebound before I get even remotely excited.

Posted by SK77 on 04/26/11 at 04:30 AM ET

Wow—I thought Terry Murray crying to the press was bad enough but just him trying to play the system, but look at these two tweets from Sharks about Murray’s post-game behavior:

devin setoguchi
  Would like to know why coach of the kings Terry Murray never shook our hands?? Might be a first??

Jamal Mayers
  Kings battled hard! Tough series with 3 OT games! Too bad Murray didn’t have class to shake hands like players (who bled) and Asst Coaches!

Pretty embarrassing, if you ask me.  There was nothing uncalled for or outright dirty in this series that might even begin to explain this.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 04/26/11 at 04:41 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Wow, Myurray didn’t shake hands?  That’s classless.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/26/11 at 01:01 PM ET

True.  I didn’t see him in the handshake line after the game.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/26/11 at 02:36 PM ET