Video- It Went Downhill From Here For The Penguins

Penguins lose 8-4 to the Flyers, a game filled with some weak goaltending, cheap hits galore and a Pittsburgh team that now must win 4 games in a row.

Questionable hits, down right nasty play, watch below…

1st Period Penalties

15:18 Pittsburgh Craig Adams: 2 minutes, instigator
15:18 Pittsburgh Craig Adams: 5 minutes, fighting
15:18 Pittsburgh Craig Adams: 10 minutes, misconduct
15:18 Pittsburgh James Neal: 10 minutes, misconduct
17:38 Philadelphia Zac Rinaldo: 2 minutes, cross checking
17:38 Philadelphia Zac Rinaldo: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Coincidence?  Or culture?

Posted by Adam Johson from PA on 04/15/12 at 08:22 PM ET

You forgot to add Coaching.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/15/12 at 09:38 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Crosby really needs to sack up and fight the fights he picks.

You could read Sid’s lips when he and Schenn were engaged near the end. ‘‘Do you wanna ****** go?’’ Schenn wouldn’t go. He’s a *****.

Asham won’t be back. Unlike Cooke, he isn’t an impact player on special teams (the penalty killing by the Penguins in this seriers notwithstanding).

Posted by cs6687 on 04/15/12 at 09:38 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Why didn’t Sid go with Hartnell if he wanted to drop them again so badly?

Posted by SolidTG7 on 04/15/12 at 09:42 PM ET

CS6987-

Not going to lie.  I appreciate your words.  Defend your team, but be reasonable.  In past years, you’ve failed.  You all growns ups right now.  I’m a fan of CS6987 as of this moment.  You’ve totally gone and redeemed yourself!

-life long hater, now friend

PS:  I’m not mocking.  It really seems like you’ve matured.  I appreciate your ability to take responsibility and be cool.  I’m serious.  Props.

Posted by Bob Chipeska from Washington, DC on 04/15/12 at 09:43 PM ET

Asham’s playing days are over after today’s aftermath, it’s sad for a guy you used to have respect for as a player. Bylsma needs to held accountable for not controlling his players.

Like Damien Cox tweted during flyers-pens game: “This is Gary’s Lowest Common Denominator League.”

I can’t wait for Mario’s letter to Gary!

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/15/12 at 09:49 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Much appreciated.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/15/12 at 09:49 PM ET

Paulie:

Any chance of getting the video for the Neal elbow to Giroux’s head?  NHL Network has brought it up a few times.

Thanks,
-Bob

Posted by Bob Chipeska from Washington, DC on 04/15/12 at 10:04 PM ET

The only thing I question though is…have then Pens given up and are just trying to wound the Flyers as much as they can so they don’t get too deep in the playoffs? The way they’re doing it isn’t going to work. Playing a grinding style like the Predaturds, the Blose and the ‘Yotes hurts more than gooning it up does…but I digress. I’m still pissed from the lack of fire the Wings showed today.

I actually do believe they gave up about 20 seconds into the third period.  They started Johnson in goal and immediately he gives up a goal.  You could just sense it… sort of like well we didnt have a goalie who could stop anything in Marc, now we dont in Johnson either.  As a team, you can only score so many damn goals.  The pens just can not stop anything from going into the net it seems.

The pens have been playing a highly grinding style of hockey, but they for sure ended game three in goonery.  I am sure that the league will punish at least asham and neal.  Adams, who knows… but as i said before, who cares.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:11 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

Listen, I know you’re upset, extremely so; and you should be. Your team has been bad since Crosby’s return…now why is that???

Honestly? The Pens have not been all-around bad since Crosby’s return, they’ve just been bad defensively. It really reminds me of the 08-09 Red Wings from the standpoint that they started believing they could just go out and outscore everyone every game, but when it didn’t happen, they can’t or won’t go back to the style that made them successful last year and earlier this year. There is so much talent on the Pens right now that on paper they should be the ones up 3-0 instead of the other way around. Couple that with a “bad” first round match-up against Philly and you have what we’re seeing now.

I am shocked as Pens fans at this moment.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/15/12 at 10:15 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Paulie:

Thanks,
-Bob

Posted by Bob Chipeska from Washington, DC on 04/15/12 at 09:04 PM ET

Sorry Bob, haven’t run across it yet.  Still watching games, no NHL Network until around 1am tonight fro me.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/15/12 at 10:16 PM ET

I am shocked as Pens fans at this moment.

Here is the main problem.  The penguins were built for the new NHL, and the new NHL is gone.  If you watch these games, there is more interferance than ever since the lockout.  The pens have puck moving, fast defensemen… but what is needed is slow, big bodied guys that subtly interfere with forwards entering the zone.  The memo is out, and the flyers wrote the damn thing.  Its almost a case where there is so much of it going on in a game that the officials feel like they cant keep calling it.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:25 PM ET

I couldn’t believe what I was watching in this melee masquerading as a game. Between this b.s. and the b.s. in the Rangers game and other filthy hits, I’ve gotta wonder what is going on in the locker rooms of these teams? Cocaine? ‘Roids?

Posted by Carthage on 04/15/12 at 10:27 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 09:25 PM ET

This.

We’re seeing it in our series as well. Clutching, grabbing, hooking trapping, cross-check to the back hockey. Reminds me of a rec league I used to play in. The goons and scrubs take over and the good guys stop playing.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/15/12 at 10:28 PM ET

Hmmmm…let’s think about it, but let’s not say it…we may get fined.

Has nothing to do with Crosby other then the fact that everyone unfortunately thought it was going to be easy once he came back and forgot to play.  Really isn’t that hard to figure out but keeping grinding that ax.

Those criticizing Sid for not fighting, he fought Giroux earlier in the game and you can blatantly see in the video he asked Schenn if he wanted to go and he didn’t want to, not that I would blame him at the end of that game.  Of course, had the Pens won, Sid’s fight would have been a turning point blah blah blah.  That TSN article makes it seem like he slashed Bryz in the face a couple times when he was just poking for a rebound.  Happens every game.

As for suspensions, who the hell knows what is going to happen?  Adams will most likely get an automatic one but maybe not since that rule isn’t enforced , but for Neal and Asham, honestly, I don’t know.  I think they both should be suspended, but since Schenn, Couturier, and Giroux were all fine (or supposedly fine), they probably won’t get anything.  Which makes the league out of control, as it has been for years.  For Asham, I’m on record as saying I don’t like guys going after others after clean hits, but it happens.  Schenn’s hit wasn’t clean and Asham’s cross check to the mouth wasn’t either, but the thing that puts it over the head is the punch to the head afterwards.  As bad as Gilles and that’s awful.  We’ll see what happens Wednesday…

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/15/12 at 10:39 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

There is no way in hell Mario should be left out of this discussion.  The way he whines and bitches whenever someone even looks at Cindy the wrong way is completely ridiculous. He is a complete hypocrite if he doesn’t think that his team even had a little bit to do with the aggression and mayhem this afternoon. He should take all his bitchy comments back after witnessing what his team did today.  They start losing on the scoreboard and they come out fighting and taking cheap shot artistry to a whole new level like they were the Anaheim Ducks of the East or something…

And btw, I loved every second of today’s game and not just because the Pens lost.  That was the most entertaining game I have seen in a long time.  It had everything you could possibly ask for in a hockey game, except sudden death overtime.

LETS GO WINGS

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 04/15/12 at 10:40 PM ET

ok, so i know you hate the pens… that is obvious, but can you give an example please of how Mario bitches when Sid (or Cindy) is fouled?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:44 PM ET

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/15/12 at 08:49 PM ET

Flyer fans in general, I don’t want to make it about you specifically, have glorified videos like the above for decades.  They have built a reputation that they have taken pride in for decades.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/15/12 at 09:28 PM ET

Yeah.  It sucks but what can you do?  Honestly, I’m in favor of moving back to the one ref system, as I think with two they are more likely to try to not overstep the other, and also firing all current refs and bringing in new guys.  Every game should not have the same number of PP’s or penalties for each team or close.  If one team is overly aggressive and against the rules, then they should be penalized as such.  It won’t ever happen though, which is a shame.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/15/12 at 10:46 PM ET

And one more thing real quick…

Adams needs to bring his hairpulling back to the schoolgirl hopscotch tournaments and leave it out of the game of hockey…

Posted by Lord Coppin from Land Of Cry Baby Hypocritical Superstars on 04/15/12 at 10:46 PM ET

And one more thing real quick…

In closing…I will not be reading this board because I just stumbled upon it doing a google search.

I thought you were not coming back?

Uhh Ohh Paul, add one more to your pen-hater club site.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:51 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Very embarrassing…not much else to say, really.

But I’ll say some more stuff anyways.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/15/12 at 07:16 PM ET

Might wanna worry about the Red Wings, there, Red Winger…

Asham basically saw to it that Pens fans can never ever say a single word about Bertuzzi ever again, because what he did was really no different.  The cross-check to the face/throat was bad enough and suspendable on its own, the punch to the back of the head while the player is down was indefensible and literally no different than Bertuzzi’s on Moore.

Not defending Asham at all, here.  But…that crosscheck was in the chest.  Might’ve gotten a little of Schenn’s chin as Schenn was lifting his arms, but that’s all it was.  He flung his head back and went down to the ice to buy the call.  The punch as he was laying there was stupid, though.  Looked like it could’ve been worse…but as he was swinging he kind of pulled back on it…maybe because he realized what he was doing was horrible.  I don’t know.

Also, Schenn charged and left his feet on that hit.  I’m not sure why anyone isn’t talking about that.

Martin was engaged with Voracek, too…I thought coming in for a hit like that while the player is already engaged with another was a no-no?  Not real good on some of the specific rules…so, I might be wrong there.  Pierre swooning over it in that video is ridiculous…ESPECIALLY when Neal does just about the same thing and he acts like Couturier might’ve been murdered.

Terrible game.  Terrible officiating.  Terrible announcing.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/15/12 at 11:04 PM ET

ible game.  Terrible officiating.  Terrible announcing.

100% agree that the game was horible, with even worse officating.  I like doc, not sure why, but he seems to always play it straight for every team.  Pierre has some how turned into a real horses ass.

Of course i am not the type of person who would suggest that we offer money to the first fan who writes “pierre is a douche cannoe” on a sign and stands behind the glass while pierre is broadcasting between the benches.  That is something for wing fans to do with all the class that they exude.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Might wanna worry about the Red Wings, there, Red Winger…

You ain’t lying. When the game is called by the book, the Wings and Pens (and similar teams) excel. When we go back to the mid-90s, the Pens and the Wings still get decent records, but won’t win it all unless they get lucky or put their minds to every single second of the game. What we’re seeing is half-assed effort with no calls on interference.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/15/12 at 11:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:11 PM ET

Snorts. You’d laugh if you saw that. Admit it.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/15/12 at 11:14 PM ET

What we’re seeing is half-assed effort with no calls on interference.

The worst part about it is it is being called even less in the playoffs.  It was bad enough during the regular season, but its almost as if the rule was wiped off the rule book during the post season.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:15 PM ET

Snorts. You’d laugh if you saw that. Admit it.

Well at the time i was the only one on KK that felt that it severly crossed the line.  I actually feared for his life (probably overboard).  However, he is really annoying, and not sure why NBC loves him so much.

What is funny though, is that he very recently heaped praise on the penguins constantly… even when not warranted.  But after the flyers bought NBC or NBC bought the flyers, he has changed his tune.  He is sort of a weasel in that regard.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:19 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:19 PM ET

Naw, he’s always been like that.  He just goes with whatever team is winning the game.  I don’t know if he is told to do that or what.  The love for the Flyers has been a lot, but whatever. That’s the thing that pisses me off most about this series.  The Flyers have played like complete garbage, and the Pens have played even worse.  It could very easily be 3-0 Pens if they just got their heads out of their asses.

And if I saw that sign on national TV about Pierre, I would laugh my ass off.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/15/12 at 11:31 PM ET

The offense has certainly been there.  It is every other aspect that hasnt.  From PK, to Defense, to Goal, to coaching… just horrible.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:34 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:34 PM ET

No doubt.  It’s been a complete team failure at every position.  Definitely didn’t expect them to lose like this.  I just want a solid game from them, just so I have at least one positive to look back at in the offseason instead of this garbage.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/15/12 at 11:45 PM ET

elphantasmo5000's avatar

can someone tell me how as a fan if i focus more on “my team” that “my team” will play better? my focus on “their” game has no influence on “their” game.

Posted by elphantasmo5000 on 04/15/12 at 11:48 PM ET

yea, never thought i would want to see a 2-1 game, but here is hoping fleury can bring a game home to console… the organization could use the extra revenue.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

red wings lose to nashville, if you would have wrote that in your first comment, I would not have had a problem, but you were no where close to it.

Also, please stick with one user name, you’ve used four in the last week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/15/12 at 11:49 PM ET

so the telepathy stuff i have been using on the refs will never work?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 11:50 PM ET

elphantasmo5000's avatar

GTL, if it does, share your secret because i wanna use that power too

Posted by elphantasmo5000 on 04/15/12 at 11:52 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/15/12 at 10:49 PM ET

Yeah, that’s what I was hoping for today and then well, all that happened.  I don’t know what they do at this point but hopefully they get at least one win out of this.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/15/12 at 11:52 PM ET

I watched the second and third periods. I saw Crosby’s three punches to Schenn’s face with the left (as he held the jersey). I’m not sure if that was why he got the roughing call, but gloved punches are gutless.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/15/12 at 08:07 PM ET

Don’t speak out of ignorance. Schenn has gone high on Crosby -after whistles- 3 times this month. Considering this, and considering Schenn ducked an honest fight when Crosby challenged him today, he deserves a gloved shot or two (though not a crosscheck aimed at his throat or a punch at him when he was prone).

Other than that, this game was a complete embarrassment. The series has been a complete embarrassment. Losing as a favorite, Hell, getting swept in the first round is bad, but it does happen. But 23 goals in 3 games or whatever? Then this complete meltdown? What is this, the California penal championships?

People thinking Mario complaining about the Islanders while employing Matt Cooke was some type of hypocrisy didn’t and don’t know what hypocrisy was. Matt Cooke, for all he’s done, has never participated in farcical behavior seen in that game.

However, Asham and, to a lesser extent, James Neal, just did. The only distinction that exists between Asham and Trevor Gillies, as of today, is the amount of damage they caused.

Practice has been canceled tomorrow. I assume that’s because senior management has some straightening out to do. There are a lot more things that need to be straightened out in the offseason, starting with Bylsma losing complete control of the team in this series -in all facets of play.

I’ve never seen a team from this city melt down like this. They should be ashamed.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/16/12 at 12:18 AM ET

I agree.  It really has been baffling.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/16/12 at 12:29 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I guess I just expect more from a captain. That C is supposed to mean something.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/12 at 12:36 AM ET

NBC affiliate in Philly reporting that Asham getting 3 games

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/16/12 at 12:41 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Player safety won’t even meet on this until tomorrow, right? If the NBC affiliate is reporting, it should just be conjecture.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/12 at 12:49 AM ET