Video- Hanzal With 5 For Boarding And A Game

I say at least two games for this hit on Dustin Brown, anyone else agree/disagree?

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dustin+brown, martin+hanzal

Comments

Bad hit, should get suspension.

Posted by timbits on 05/16/12 at 02:21 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

A game or two would make sense.

But since that would make sense, he will probably only end up with a $2,500 fine.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 05/16/12 at 02:26 AM ET

The hit looked terrible live.  But Hanzal made the dive sign to the refs.  And Brown is the biggest diver in the league.  So I looked closely at the replays.  For me, if a guy hammers a guy from behind into the boards, the smoking gun is seeing the hitters arms extended as the hittee’s face hits the boards.  If you look at the replay, Hanzal’s arms never extend.  It’s entirely possible, Brown launched himself into the boards after he felt Hanzal put his hands on him.  Only Hanzal or Brown know what really happened.  But judging by Hanzal’s reaction, and Brown’s history and the fact Brown stayed down long enough for the major but appeared uninjured afterwards tells me enough.

Posted by Callmejerry on 05/16/12 at 03:23 AM ET

Callmejerry…You’re an idiot!

Posted by David on 05/16/12 at 04:01 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Lol.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/16/12 at 06:15 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

2 will be enough cause this series ain’t coming back to Phoenix.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/16/12 at 09:18 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Very bad hit, I replayed it several times.  Unquestionably intentional.  There was plenty of space and time to avoid following Brown perpendicular to the boards.  A hit like that should be 5 games for a first offense, 20 for the second, and 25 for the third.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 05/16/12 at 09:38 AM ET

10?
The same 25 his teammate got last month for an illegal hit? Granted torres’ was a direct hit to the head.They need to do something to teach goons it is not appropriate to try to end someone else’s career.

Posted by teldar on 05/16/12 at 10:30 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by teldar

That ‘20 for the second’ was supposed to be ‘10 for the second’.
Gotta remember to proofread, sorry.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 05/16/12 at 11:33 AM ET

How did I just know someone would say Brown dove into the boards? I know that is exactly what I would do if someone had their elbows in my back and drove me into the boards. I’d figure my neck can take it and what’s the risk? Really? Dove. Head First. Into the Boards.

Hanzal’s arms never extend because they are already firmly planted into Brown and there isn’t enough distance between Brown and the boards for his Hanzal’s arms to fully extend. In super slow motion, I can even make Brown stop before he hits the boards, so I guess that means he had the ability in real-time to stop as well.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/16/12 at 11:43 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Hanzal has a disciplinary hearing today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/16/12 at 12:35 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Callmejerry…..did someone hit you from behind? That could be the only explanation for such an idiotic statement.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/16/12 at 12:46 PM ET

I believe he is a first timer so $2500 to a game.

Posted by T on 05/16/12 at 12:48 PM ET

Jerry,
Dustin Brown is far from the biggest diver in the league. Just like he dove after Smith chopped him in the back of the leg.

Kudos to Suter for getting them to play up to their preseason expectations. This team has it all.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 05/16/12 at 01:41 PM ET

starsfan26's avatar

A game or two would make sense.

Agree^^

Posted by starsfan26 on 05/16/12 at 01:50 PM ET

awould's avatar

“More proof hockey doesn’t work in Phoenix”, sincerely, every Canadian

Posted by awould on 05/16/12 at 02:50 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The Phoenix Coyotes playing recklessly and over emotionally?  I don’t believe it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/16/12 at 02:55 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

Hanzal doesn’t have any prior record, and based on Klesla’s suspension, I think he’ll get 1 game.
Definitely a bad hit, and a stupid decision. That game got ugly quick (even in the crowd). Doan had a boarding call earlier, and Morris got a kneeing penalty. They totally lost composure. Hope Tippett can reign them back in.

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 05/16/12 at 02:59 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Posted by David on 05/16/12 at 02:01 AM ET

+19

What a punk a** hit.  Bush league. 2-5 games.  However, since the formula for suspensions in the playoffs requires a PhD in quantum physics, I suspect Shannyman will have him sit for one and cash the $2,500.00 check.  Party on.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 05/16/12 at 04:54 PM ET