Video- ESPN Radio Guy Gets Hockey World Talking

First off, I never heard of Colin Cowherd.  Secondly, when are people going to realize when it comes to hockey and ESPN, there are only a few people to trust when it comes to hockey talk and Cowherd is not one of them.

Watch the video (discussing Tortorella’s post-game pressers) and Puck Daddy has more…

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: espn

Comments

He’s that guy on sportsnation with Michele Bedle. Just another espn employee who knows nothing about hockey

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/17/12 at 06:52 PM ET

This guy’s a true bender who only follows money. His arrogance reminds me of that circus clown investment guy on CNBC.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 05/17/12 at 07:02 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

What a clown.  I’ve learned when I was a teenager ESPN isn’t a good source for hockey talk, with few exceptions.  I’m so glad I live in Canada.  Some of my hockey watching American friends can’t stand ESPN due to people like this.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 05/17/12 at 07:13 PM ET

Uh, maybe it’s just me but I’m hearing a scathing criticism of the quality of NHL press conferences due to what Cowherd perceives as a lack of respect by people like Torts to recently graduated kids, “...who are over their heads,” as he says.  He is also saying that maybe that’s the way the newspapers operate nowadays when editors at the newspapers have to provide content for the papers.  In short, the bad NHL press conferences such as the kinds given by Torts where answers are rote and cookie-cutter lead to bad newspaper coverage because the writers aren’t given anything to work with from the bad press conferences.

Newspapers want to try to help the hype in the cities where they’re still playing for the Cup but the NHL press conferences aren’t helping at all.

Maybe it’s just Torts that’s got ESPN so worked up over nothing.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/17/12 at 08:04 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Fischler and Larry Brooks, Scott Burnside and Nick Cotsonika, among others, disagree with the “young people” assessment. It’s not the caliber of the people asking questions that result in John Tortorella acting like an *#$%@& because he can get away with it.

Stan Fischler and Chris Chelios were seen the other day debating which one of them discovered fire…

And does anybody find it weird that ESPN’s TV and radio coverage of hockey are just terrible, nothing less than terrible, while their online coverage is nothing less than stellar? It’s bizarre and sad.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/17/12 at 08:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

1.) Colin Cowherd is a front running toe sucker and a loud mouth fool.  ESPN better hope the day never comes when networks like NBC make an actual attempt at competing with them.  If and when another network gets a college football contract, you’ll find out quickly that most people don’t like the popularity contest you run every fall, Colin.  So when that days comes I guess we will see you at Nassau Coliseum.

2.) Ever heard of Canada Colin?  Of course you haven’t.  Its a country where hockey is #1 and nobody cares about USC football.  All the best sports media people in Canada do hockey, what you said about the new guy covering hockey might be true about the Rangers/Islanders in NYC, but it isn’t true about the NHL.

3.) All that said, I have no problem with Tortorella and his press conferences.  If reporters want to ask him dumb/bland questions, they deserve the answers they get.

4.) Colin Cowherd is a front running toe sucker.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/17/12 at 09:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Cowherd got exactly what he wanted form this:  publicity.

He admits on his radio show that his job is to be polarizing, and to make people angry and talk about his show.  He knows almost nothing outside of college football and gambling on the NFL.

He also has low enough listenership I’m always surprised ESPN keeps him around.  I will listen some to Mike & Mike, and I actually enjoy Scott Van Pelt Show often… but there’s a reason they keep the TV side of Cowherd’s show relegated to ESPNU and ESPNEWS where they can hide him, while the other shows are simulcast on ESPN and ESPN2.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/17/12 at 06:16 PM ET

Not really.  They’re openly hostile to hockey because it really *is* what their viewers and listeners want them to do.  Their low-IQ, drooling, too-cool-for-hockey, keep-it-simple-for-stupid viewers and listeners.

They can’t do that with it online (for one thing, I’m not sure some of their radio target audience can use a computer or even read for that matter… and no, I’m not being a smart-aleck, I’m quite serious), and thus their coverage becomes a bit more legit (though I disagree that it’s “stellar”, I find it still rather lacking most of the time).

Posted by Primis on 05/17/12 at 09:50 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Is it wrong to say I get a little kick when I flip through the channel guide and see Poker or the 800th rerun of a 30 for 30 (which were very good btw) on nights when they don’t have any NBA or MLB to show? Probably not,  grin

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/17/12 at 10:06 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Although he picks on hockey, he does sort of have a point. The quality of reporters the past decade or so has gone down significantly. But it is in all sports. Listen to an NFL press conference and along with those “state the obvious” questions that a lot of lazy reporters ask, there are a lot of stupid questions that are asked. Its like some of them didn’t even watch the game. Same with baseball and I’m assuming basketball. Its one of the reasons why bloggers have taken off. Some of them are just better writers.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 05/17/12 at 11:12 PM ET

I’ve been listenign to Cowherd for years - he’s well informed and he’s telling the press that they’re dissing the sport of hockey by covering it like an effin bakesale at Disney elementary.  It ain’t about hockey - he never says that hockey sucks - he says we aren’t respected.  As a Kings fan in L.A., I know exactly what he’s talking about.

Posted by Shane from Irvine, CA on 05/18/12 at 04:42 AM ET

Wow, I didn’t expect these responses after having listened to the clip.  He does have good points, that most media outlets are not sending their best guys to cover hockey, or that those guys don’t necessarily like hockey, in the way that they send “more talented” guys to cover the higher-profile sports.  That’s really all I hear him saying; he admits he doesn’t know much about hockey or particularly like it, so at least he’s honest about that.  I didn’t really hear him “trashing hockey” in that clip.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 05/18/12 at 10:08 AM ET