Video- Elbow Or Not?

from CSNNE,

Michael Felger says that’s poppycock.

“[Crosby] is once again showing himself to be whiner in this,” Felger says. “He’s blaming David Krejci for a play that happened in a game against the Bruins two weeks ago.

continued

Now you can watch the video in which Felger says there was no elbow.  But why do a video and not show the play he is talking about.  Instead, he says you can go online to watch it.

Let’s watch that “online” video below and I see a toss of the left elbow, not major, but it is an elbow.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: david+krejci, sidney+crosby

Comments

redxblack's avatar

It’s an elbow, and unless Felger moonlights as a neurologist, he should be quiet.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/13/11 at 01:55 PM ET

Felger’s an idiot for pretending there’s no contact, but I don’t see that as “a toss of” the elbow at all…  He was playing the puck and Crosby literally ran into his elbow.

That’s not Krejci’s fault.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 01:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Interesting.  If Crosby is saying that elbow 2 weeks ago had something to do with his concussion-like symptoms, does that mean he had these symptoms as long ago as that, and if so, why was he playing after that?  And if not, why is he blaming that as a part of this?  My point is this, players get hit around the head all the time, be it incidental contact, minor hits to the hear, or the more serious suspendable hits.  If Crosby is going to continue his career, he’s going to have to accept that and not go blaming other players every time he gets a headache.  He’s going to get bumped in the head countless times over the course of his career, it’s just a fact.  Some players are just more susceptible to concussions than others, and he seems to be one of those guys.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 12/13/11 at 02:00 PM ET

That’s totally inadvertent.  Krejci’s back is to Crosby, no way he could even tell where Sindey’s head is positioned.  Crosby is a well-established whiner.  That’s normal hockey contact, and if he doesn’t like it he should retire.

Posted by Jeff in CO on 12/13/11 at 02:01 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I see nothing but a follow-through that Crosby runs into as Krecji tries to whip the puck back into the zone. No different then if someone got hit by the stick on a follow-through.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 12/13/11 at 02:03 PM ET

BettmenSucks79's avatar

Crosby continues to be the drama queen of the league.  That was nothing but incidental contact that happens time and time again.  If that is all it takes to cause a recurrance of his symptoms, then just retire already.  Enough of the damn soap opera.  He has always been a great player, but much like his mentor and owner, he whines more than anyone else in the league.  SIck of hearing about it.  Lets talk about who is playing, not who isn’t.

Posted by BettmenSucks79 on 12/13/11 at 02:24 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

1) That happened last week, not two weeks ago. Crosby hasn’t played since then.

2) It was clearly an elbow to the head, albeit incidental

3) Has Crosby actually said something about it? The media brought that up as the possible culprit, but has Crosby himself “whined” about it? I haven’t even heard him mention it.

4) This guy is a hack.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/13/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Not a doctor, but I have played hockey and I once collided unexpectedly with a teammate and both of us went down hard. Not comparing my self or the level of hockey to Sidney, but your brain will “slosh” around in your skull during a very abrupt and severe impact, much like Crosby had with his teammate. While looking at that collision with his teammate it looks like Sidney hurts his knee, but who knows what sort of impact his brain sustained? I think its pretty common knowledge that once you suffer a concussion, you are much more susceptible to getting another. Kieth Primeau,Eric Lindros can speak to that. If Crosby recovers and plays again, he is one big body check away from being hurt again. Not quite sure how you resolve a formerly concussed player from being hurt again during the normal course of play?

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/13/11 at 02:38 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

5) Also, maybe that elbow did cause the symptoms. And it was Krejci’s elbow. They seem up in arms just because someone pointed out that Krejci caused it? It’s not like Sid said “Krejci purposely gave me a concussion.”

Even if he didn’t mean to do it, he still caused it. One time I rear-ended another car, and it was my fault. I didn’t mean to do it. But my car caused an accident.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/13/11 at 02:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t have sound, but does Felger (or anybody) for that matter have a transcript of what exactly Crosby says that even mentions Krejci?

I think it’s an innocuous play without ill-intent, but I don’t even know the scope of Crosby’s “whining” in this situation, so I don’t know whether or not he actually DID whine.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/11 at 02:44 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/13/11 at 11:37 AM ET

Albeit not a direct quote, it does say “Sidney Crosby is once again experiencing post-concussion symptoms, and he’s placing at least some of the blame on Bruins center David Krejci. Crosby says Krejci hit him with an elbow in their game two weeks ago.”

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 12/13/11 at 02:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Jeff in CO got it exactly right. Crosby has returned to his old ways again – whining about every little thing that happens.

It’s a big-boys game, Cindy. If that contact was too much for you, take your skates off and take up a career that your well-qualified for – like acting.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/13/11 at 02:46 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 12/13/11 at 11:46 AM ET

That’s my point. How is placing the blame on Krejci considered “whining.” If Krejci’s elbow did cause it, then Crosby is just stating when it happened. There is no record of Crosby saying that it was on purpose or malicious….he is just stating a (supposed) fact.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 12/13/11 at 02:51 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

This is why I laughed at people who thought Crosby was going to compete for the points lead and the hart trophy and all that jazz. He has to change his game, at least for this year, and minimize contact; ie don’t go looking for contact if you don’t have to. That is tough for people to do, let alone a professional athlete who is used to doing the special things they do through instinct.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 12/13/11 at 03:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah, I’ve got to go with the moderate crowd here until I hear some actual whining.  If I fall and bust my ass, I’m placing at least some of the blame on gravity, but that doesn’t mean I’m bitching to my congressman to pass a law against weak universal forces.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/11 at 03:01 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Any words by Sid are whining for some Sid Haters even when he says good Morning

Posted by Evilpens on 12/13/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Nowhere has Crosby placed any blame on the “elbow” of Krejci, he is the Penguins organization have said it was from a combination of hits from that game.  No one specific and no where has Crosby whined about that elbow.  If he has please show me his quote, do not quote what an article from CSN New England says.

Posted by dave1328 on 12/13/11 at 03:08 PM ET

You know kids, it just does not matter.  Bruins fans will fly the company flag and yell, berate, hate on, or try to bully anyone off of an opinion that differs from their own.

The thing is, it is not really their fault.  They are usually just mimicking something anyone of the MOST partisan and cheerleading media I have ever watched or read in my entire life as a sports fan has said.

This Felger has nothing on Jack Edwards, or Kevin Paul Dupont, or Haggerty and his sad little rants.

Canuck fans experienced this phenom in the playoffs, and we were told we were just “whining”.  That if you pointed out that it might not be fair that one team got away with breaking fingers and backs on their way to a win in a brutal war of attrition might not be fair, or good for the game for that matter, we were told to STFU.  As you all got led by the nose to paint Roberto a villain in a ridiculous “insult” story for FOUR EFFING DAYS!!!!!  It was an honest answer about conflicting styles, not a swearing of a blood feud.

So, when I see stories like this, I just want to say, perhaps in a “Ricky”... voice I Tolda SO, I Tolda effing So”

Because its just another example of what I said above. In this case, it looked like Krejci was just fishing for the puck. Perhaps with elbow too high, and swung with too much oomph.

But hey, he is from a Boston team, surely he did no wrong and deserves nothing more than a scolding.  Like Marchmond getting only a fine for a violent slewfoot, or Lucuc a free pass on a goalie. Its only a fine, a no class thing, or something you should really just “STFU” about when your team does it, not Bawstan…

Posted by vancitydan on 12/13/11 at 03:19 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Didn’t I just see a video of Crosby elbowing Mike Foligno and saying it was part of the game? I just don’t get how someone with so much talent can be such a little baby.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 12/13/11 at 03:19 PM ET

If they were permitted, some media members would do a daily update on what Sidney Crosby had for breakfast each morning.

People need to understand that anything related to Crosby is big news—I am not saying it should be, I know there is too much coverage of all things Crosby, but this is the reality we—and more importantly, he—live in.

So it is not surprising that he was asked—nor is it “whining” that Crosby merely answered—the question of what particular incident might have produced the recurrence of symptoms for the best-known player on the planet.  Because he understands that he needs to accommodate the media on this, he answered the question with what he thought might have caused the problem.  That’s all this was.

I know some people seem bent on criticizing everything he does—or doesn’t do—but, really, this is getting ridiculous.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 12/13/11 at 03:23 PM ET

OK, so in this instance, when Crosby ran into Krejci it was somehow Krejci’s fault?  Krejci didn’t run into Crosby.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 03:30 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

People need to understand that anything related to Crosby is big news

This is what is wrong with the NHL

No, everything crosby is not big news. It only is because people like you and Gary.ass MAKE it news.

We would all be better off if the NHL promoted more than one or two players. Even Crosby would be better because he could just go out and play the game. But noooooooooo, the NHL thinks we want to know how many times they guy goes to the bathroom.

What are they going to do if Crosby never plays again? How much money have they spent on just promoting one person?

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 12/13/11 at 03:32 PM ET

That’s my point. How is placing the blame on Krejci considered “whining.”

Because Crosby ran into Krejci.  Using your own analogy, if you rearend someone it’s not that person’s fault.

I’m of the mind that, until I hear it from someone who is non-partisan (or at least not an idiot like this Felger dude), I’m not going to say anything about whether Crosby was whining or not, but if anyone is trying to place blame oj Krejci then they are wrong.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 03:34 PM ET

But it is.  You don’t have to like it, but it is.  Come on, I’m being serious here.  Did you read where I said it shouldn’t be, but that’s the world we live in?  In that sense, we agree, but you aren’t acknowledging reality.  You might want to live in a world where no one cared about what’s going on with Crosby, but you don’t.  You’ll have to move to another planet to make that happen.  Or better yet, you could not read the articles talking about someone who is not “big news” to you.  That might help tamp down the frustration you seem to be experiencing.

And for all the people who moan about the overabundance of coverage, well, somebody reads these articles.  Check out the Globe and Mail comments on Crosby articles.  Tons of’em.  Somebody thinks this is big news or it wouldn’t be covered.  That’s how the media works.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 12/13/11 at 04:01 PM ET

I have not heard Crosby whine/blame Krejci, all I have heard him or the Pens say is that it was most likely that hit.

I don’t get how that turns into whining?

Posted by RyanS on 12/13/11 at 04:14 PM ET

Oh my Lord. He was asked if he knew which play it happened on and he said which play he thought it happened on. Crosby went to hit Krecji and Krecji’s elbow hit Crosby. Unintentionally. No one in the Penguins organization has said otherwise.

Crosby did say he wasn’t sure which hit caused his current symptoms, but the collision with David Krejci is a possibility.
“I don’t know. I know I got hit in the head there,” Crosby said. “I felt pretty good after that. I didn’t feel anything too major. If I had to look at one hit, yeah. The collision with Kunitz was knee-on-knee. If anything it was probably that one with (Krejci).”

Posted by NathanBC on 12/13/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Since you didn’t read it the first time:

Posted by NathanBC on 12/13/11 at 04:36 PM ET

everyone,

Crosby never said the Krejci elbow caused anything. The media concluded that. When will the idiots start realizing that half the stuff they blame crosby for, he actually had nothing to do with.

In fact, Crosby said there wasn’t a single play that caused anything.

*smh*

Posted by Tyler on 12/13/11 at 04:50 PM ET

Posted by Tyler on 12/13/11 at 01:50 PM ET

That seems to completely contradict the quote from Crosby that NathanBC posted directly above you.

He’s not “blaming” Krejci but he specifically says that it was probably that play that caused it.

Posted by Garth on 12/13/11 at 05:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by NathanBC on 12/13/11 at 01:28 PM ET

Thanks for digging out specifics.

Yeah, Crosby isn’t whining here. I’m sure he’ll come up with something sooner or later that will fit the bill; no need to put words in his mouth.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/13/11 at 05:13 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I’ll agree, he isn’t whining with the quote, just saying that’s probably where he got caught. However, If you watch the replay, he seems to be jawing an awful lot with Krejci, even following him around the ice after the whistle and yapping with him across the bench as the period ends.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 12/13/11 at 05:53 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

And he does the same with the refs. In the immortal words of Evilpens, it was “Waaaaahh, waaaah, waaaaah” all the way home.

And for those “middle-of-the-road” apologists, just try to imagine #19 putting on the cry-baby show that Cindy did. It just wouldn’t have happened.

The biggest problem with Cindy is (s)he belives all of the NHL’s hype. I mean, after all, no one like Krejci should ever be allowed to defend himself from a hit from behind if it comes from ‘Lil Gary’s poster child, right?

If Cindy wants to play in a man’s  league, (s)he’s going to have to grow up and be, you know, a man at some point. Simply moving out of Mario’s basement doesn’t qualify as “growing up.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/14/11 at 02:29 AM ET