Video- Coach’s Corner Tonight

Probably the highlight show of the season, Don Cherry has a few things to say about Brian Burke.

If you haven’t done so, I would suggest you watch the MacLean/Burke interview in the post below, then watch Coach’s Corner below in this post.

added 8:46pm
, For those of you in North America, you can watch the original CBC version of Coach’s Corner (better quality).

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

Other than the Rememberance Day/ weekend shows,  I cannot remember a better CC episode.

The thought that the Toronto Maple Leafs were Ontarioan-less is something I would have never considered.

And like a good movie,  the CC ending was more moving than the begining

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 03/04/12 at 12:10 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And like a good movie,  the CC ending was more moving than the begining

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 03/03/12 at 10:10 PM ET

Gotta hand it to Grapes on that ending. He should be remembered for exactly that kind of compassion he shows, along with his fiery rants, that are always entertaining.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/04/12 at 12:34 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Once again his xenophobic anti-American bias comes to the fore.

Posted by w2j2 on 03/04/12 at 12:49 AM ET

WingMan's avatar

Not sure that was an anti-American thing… it was more of a “hey we produce the most hockey players in the world, how ‘bout we get ONE…”

It is more questioning Burke’s anti-Ontario thing.  Hard to argue that one.

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 03/04/12 at 12:57 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Another thing I agree with Grapes about.  Burke must go.  He is a fraud and an incompetent.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/04/12 at 01:50 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

I have never been a Brain Burke fan.  I think he is more of a blow hard than a good GM.

Posted by w2j2 on 03/04/12 at 02:10 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Way to go Grapes!! That is one of the better coaches corner’s in some time. Reminds me of Don circa 1990/1991 back before the CBC had him tone it down.
The fact that Don was giving it to that blowhard Burke makes it even more enjoyable for me.

Brian Burke always fancies himself the smartest guy in the room, which he is clearly NOT. He won nothing in Vancouver, and hasn’t even made the playoffs in TO. The team in Anaheim that won the Cup was for the most part already in place and was not built by Burke. The fact that he would go to CBC officials and try and get Don fired just confirms that Burke is a jerk.

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/04/12 at 02:30 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Between Jimmy Carson and Justin Abdelkader/Brian Rafalski, a Michigan-born player didn’t make the Red Wings’ roster, despite the fact that Michigan is one of the U.S.‘s player development hotbeds.

Nobody thought it was a travesty that the Carolina Hurricanes were mining their tie to the Plymouth Whalers and a bunch of Michiganders instead.

It happens. The problem with Burke’s player personnel decisions wherever he goes is that he tries to take the same connections with him wherever he goes, and when you’re trying to integrate scouting systems and player development strategies between different teams, you can’t necessarily go for the “quick fix” route by shoveling players your previous pro and amateur scouts liked onto a new roster just because you like them.

That’s the issue regarding any sort of geographic factor for Burke for me—he’s such an autocrat that he shovels players he’s fancied onto his new team regardless of whether they actually fit on that team.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/04/12 at 03:41 AM ET

blowhard !

Posted by WEEEE on 03/04/12 at 03:44 AM ET

Burke’s a bad GM.  This is not news.

Cherry’s a guy who doesn’t like America.  Also, not news.

Vancouver didn’t get really good until Burke got fired.  He inherited a good team in Anaheim, won a Cup with it, and then destroyed it.  He’s taken a below average team in a weak conference and has failed to substantially improve it in 4 years now.

Cherry spent 5 minutes whining about Americans on the Leafs roster and they have like 5 of them.  One of them being the best player on the team.  Accuracy has never been one of Cherry’s bigger focuses, no, but still.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/04/12 at 09:07 AM ET

I don’t care for either of them but a good fight is always fun to watch.  McCleans question wasn’t that outlandish, Burke gets defensive cause he’s done a horrible job as TO GM

Posted by tbassett on 03/04/12 at 09:34 AM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Never understood why Burke had any kind of decent reputation.  Not only has he not won, but he’s a jerk to boot.  When I watched the announcement for the Winter Classic I wanted to reach through the TV and smack him in the head.

While I find Cherry amusing and over the top, I believe the he really does feel compassion for folks like he showed at the end there.  He is anti-American or at least xenophobic.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 03/04/12 at 11:12 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

You guys do realize that, while he did inherit a solid team in Anaheim, he brought in Niedermayer and Pronger, without whom they definitely would not have won the Cup.  The same could be said, to a much lesser extent obviously, of Francois Beauchemin.  And as much as the general population on here (read: Wings fans) seem to hate Carlyle, he’s another piece Burke brought in that they wouldn’t have won without.  Yes, Perry, Getzlaf, Penner, Giguere, etc. grave him a great base to work with, but he was able to turn that solid core into a Stanley Cup championship team.

I don’t always agree with his moves or his attitude, but he’s got to get credit where it’s due.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/04/12 at 12:18 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Don Cherry grew up in a world where it was Country first. He is a product of a time when WW2 was being fought and being Patriotic was a good thing. He is not anti-American. He is the first one in the room to stand up and thank the American troops for, “saving our(Canada)  bacon and defeating the enemy.” I am sure many of us have a close relative that is similar in nature to Grapes.

Like him or not, he says what he means, and, means what he says.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/04/12 at 03:06 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/04/12 at 01:06 PM ET

Kate, I don’t say this to be combative towards you, but I don’t care too much for the generational excuse.  Don may be of the WWII generation, but thats no excuse for his refusal to grow with the rest of society.  Not everyone is from Ontario Don, and the time to get over that came a long ago.

I won’t comment on the quality of Burke as a GM, but if he says that there aren’t any Ontarians available to him who can play at the NHL level, why doubt that?

As I said in another post, I’ll be happy when NHL media outlets no longer dignify the racism and nativism that seems to be prevalent in TOR and MTL.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/04/12 at 09:12 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I am sure many of us have a close relative that is similar in nature to Grapes.

I do,  and I avoid them like the plague.  Don Cherry is a fool, and he is rabidly anti-everyone-who-is-not-Canadian when it comes to hockey players.  He is entitled to his opinion, but I think his ridiculous rants are not fit for broadcast.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/04/12 at 09:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/04/12 at 07:19 PM ET

Same reason I stay away from home until the holidays come around…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/05/12 at 12:54 AM ET

I am american…but even I know and love Don Cherry! He is the man!

Posted by Tim from Bismarck, ND on 03/05/12 at 03:23 AM ET