Video- Brendan Smith Hit On Ben Smith Tonight

added 12:07am 9/29/11, via Adam L. Jahns of Inside The Blackhawks,

Coach Joel Quenneville: “Both referees said that’s a classic example of what we’re talking about, that’s the illegal hit. It was pretty black and white. I’m not happy about it. [Ben Smith is] better, we’ll see how he is tomorrow. The severity of these suspensions have been very big. It’s going to get [the players’] attention, and I’m sure players will learn.”

Detroit coach Mike Babcock: “The interesting thing about the league now - and I don’t doubt that [Brendan Smith’s] shoulder hit [Ben Smith’s] head - is there any responsibility on the puck carrier, toe-dragging, sliding sideways, to look after himself? Doesn’t appear like there is anymore, is there? You come across the middle, toe-dragging like this, and you get dinged. And I’m not saying that our guy isn’t guilty, his shoulder hit his head, you better not put yourself in those situations I would say. There will be a video report about it tomorrow, I’m sure.”

According to the box score, Brendan Smith received 10 and a match penalty.

added 11:02pm, Instant Twitter analysis below…

via Bob McKenzie,

Brendan Smith is lining up Ben Smith for hit, as he should in that situation. Commits to hit, Ben Smith drags to inside at last second. BOOM

Result is head shot. Intentional? Does it matter? What was Brendan Smith supposed to do? Honestly, I don’t know. Over to @NHLShanahan.

via Tim Sassone,

Shanahan can suspend Smith and others, but it’s the dumb-ass players like Smith who aren’t learning anything.

via Chris Kuc,

The hit Red Wing’s Brandan Smith drilled #Blackhawks’ Ben Smith with is exactly what the NHL is trying to eliminate.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ben+smith, brendan+smith

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Guilherme's avatar

Should and will be suspended (though I don’t how why the Hawk turned away after seeing Brendan closing in).

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/29/11 at 01:01 AM ET

He’s probably gonna get a small suspension, but this hit is a perfect example of the worst case cenario for the new rule

The Hawks player obviously saw the Wings player coming at him, and just ignored it, who knows why…

Whatever happened to the players that they simply dont know how to protect themselves anymore, I cant figure out

Anyway, the new rule takes almost all the responsability for a bad hit frmo the target, and put it on the aggressor
Its a good thing, but in cases like this, it gets in the grey area, and it will either be the new wheel of justice in terms of random punishment, or Shanny will crack it down and punish every single hit to the head, which was not the intention of the new ruling

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 09/29/11 at 01:05 AM ET

It’s good to see a Wings defender who isn’t afraid to play with some brass and deliver what some may consider a questionable hit…which is what that was, at worst.

Posted by godblender on 09/29/11 at 01:13 AM ET

DocF's avatar

I am sure that Brendan Smith will get a suspension since he did not take care to avoid putting a vulnerable player in harm’s way.

That being said, I think the other Smith had all the momentum in that hit.  He sort of skated into Brendan Smith’s shoulder.  I would not want to be in Shanahan’s place on this one.  I would say suspend Brendan Smith for the rest of the exhibition games since he will be going to Grand Rapids anyway.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/29/11 at 01:17 AM ET

perfectly legal hit from the front with his shoulder, smith tried to toe drag around him making himself vulnerable- shouldn’t have even been a penalty on the play; as lidstrom commented this past summer these hits are and should be legal, the head is going to get unintentionally hit some times and it’s part of the game.  Great hockey hit in my opinion and can’t wait until Smith becomes a regular as with that mobility, he should be able to hit like that often.

Posted by wingsfan55 from mi on 09/29/11 at 01:21 AM ET

Im not sure how I feel about this hit. I think that it was certainly not intentional, I think the Ben could have done more to avoid it, but my understanding on the rule is that the onus to avoid the hit is more to hitter than the hit-ee. It is going to be a tough call but unless Shanny can suspend AHL players, it wont really matter how many/if any games Brendan gets, it seems he will be relegated to the top call-up spot with the top 7 set in Detroit.

Posted by holdt on 09/29/11 at 01:30 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Tough call for Shanahan.
The guy had the puck, and tried to toe drag it around the defender.
The defender hit him, as he should.
The fact that his head was hit I think was inadvertant.
Yes, the defender used his shoulder, but that is how hits are made.  Otherwise, the defender would get knocked on his keester.

I think the puck carrier was totally able to see it coming and should have defended himself.
No penalty.

Posted by w2j2 on 09/29/11 at 01:31 AM ET

I would think suspension, but if he got a five minute major, ten and a match, I can’t imagine giving him a stiffer punishment for a hit that he pretty much couldn’t avoid…

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 01:33 AM ET

Tough.

looks like Detroit Smith tries to line up a shoulder check on a 1 on 1 as the late man back. Predictably, the other guy tries to cut to the middle (if he can get around the check, he has a breakaway).

Don’t know what Shanahan will (or should) do with this in terms of discipline, but what Detroit Smith did is the defenseman’s equivalent of a forward trying to go 1 on 5 with an empty net in his own end. I assume Detroit Smith is some AHLer, and I’d bet he just punched his ticket back to the minors. Headshot aside, going for an open-ice hit as the last man back is not something NHL defensemen do, for good reason.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/29/11 at 01:34 AM ET

I’ll predict no suspension from shanahan based on reasoning for the Wisniewski suspension; specifically states that Clutterbuk didn’t have the puck so was therefore not expecting the hit; this was a puck carrier who was fully aware of a defender being that he tried to toe drag around him; this also eliminates the “blindsided” hit as well.  Being he tried to toe drag he was changing his position relative to the defender all while both going full speed so it’s pretty hard to argue the head was targeted being the puck carrier was the one who changed his course at the last second.

Posted by redwings55 from mi on 09/29/11 at 01:40 AM ET

steviesteve,

Part of what the wings love about this kid is that he’s not afraid to make plays; I’d say he made a play in this case.  He took away the guys lane to the net and when he tried to go around him he drilled him; I’d say it’s a great defensive play.

way to much over reaction to this in my opinion.

Posted by redwings55 from mi on 09/29/11 at 01:45 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The major emphasis of the new rule is the intentional targeting of another player’s head. That isn’t what Smith did. He tried to hit his shoulder and simply missed it. That’s both his fault (for not lining him up properly) and Ben Smith’s fault for toe-dragging himself right into Brendan’s shoulder.

As Garth said, Brendan got what he should have in this case (maybe even a little more actually). He got a five-minute major and was kicked out of the game. Anything more than that sends the message that you can’t hit a guy legally unless you’re 100% certain you won’t miss or he won’t move. I don’t think that was the original intention of the rules changes.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/29/11 at 01:46 AM ET

Looks like he was beat and took his head to stop him.  Maybe closr angles will show something different.  But you have to have zero tolerance for hits to the head,  He’s lucky it’s his 1st offense.  I’d say 5-8 games.

Posted by 13 user names on 09/29/11 at 01:58 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

If the calling is consistent he should be suspended. Onus on the checker to avoid the hit (or at least the head).

Then again, he had no way of knowing Ben would try to cut in (awfully, btw - toe dragging full-speed with a defender right there?), and Brendan wouldn’t have hit the head if not for it.

It all comes down to Shanahan’s opinion. Did Brendan had time to change his position? If yes, he’ll be suspended.

Also, I wonder if Shanny will feel obligated to suspend Brendan, even if just to show “see, I’m not protecting the Wings”.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/29/11 at 02:02 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think Brendan Smith could have made the adjustment to catch him in the shoulder, even with Ben Smith pulling up on him at the last second.

Fully expecting a suspension.  Even if I don’t think Brendan Smith intentionally targeted the head, I’d want the message sent if the roles were reversed.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/29/11 at 02:02 AM ET

Yeah, if that was the only criteria, but it isn’t.

With 5, 10 and a game, I can’t see him getting anything else.  Multiple games for a hit like that after only four games for something as dangerous as Sestito’s hit sends as bad a message as not giving multiple games to Sestito or Wiz would have…

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 02:09 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Added quotes from Coach Q and Babcock to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/11 at 02:10 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Contact was pretty much flush with the head. I doubt he was targeting the head, but I think that’s a suspension for sure regardless.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/29/11 at 02:13 AM ET

But the rule specifically references targeting the head.  I honestly can’t imagine a suspension…

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 02:15 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

With 5, 10 and a game, I can’t see him getting anything else.

I’d agree. But it’s the preseason, I think he gets the rest of preseason off. That way he gets a decent suspension (3 or 4 games, don’t know) but not that big of a deal.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/29/11 at 02:16 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

If Shanahan doesn’t suspend him, the Chicago press will riot and others will say Shanahan is giving Detroit a break.

I mean, if that happened to a Wing, I’d probably be jumping up and down saying “What the hell, that’s a head shot!?”

I don’t know…but…the rest of the games this year between these two teams just got more intense even if Brendan never leaves Grand Rapids for the entire season…

Looks like he was beat and took his head to stop him…

Posted by 13 user names on 09/28/11 at 11:58 PM ET

Considering how in order to take Ben Smith’s head, Brendan Smith had to be in front of him, how is this possible?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 02:17 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

“There will be a video report about it tomorrow, I’m sure.”

It seems Babcock expects Smith to be suspended then.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 02:19 AM ET

I don’t know.  Four games, even if they’re all pre-season, compared to Sestito’s hit?  That was brutal, this was incidental.

If he gets a game, I wouldn’t be able to argue against it, but if he gets anything more than that, there’s something wrong.

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 02:20 AM ET

steviesteve,

He didn’t take the lane is the problem; he just lined up the hit. This isn’t a reaction play; as the last D back he elected not to defend the lane and, instead, lined him up from way out to try to make a highlight reel and just missed what he was aiming for. If Patrick Kane is the puck carrier instead of whoever this guy is, Smith misses completely and turns a 1 on 1 with good back-pressure (which isn’t the end of the world) into a guaranteed goal against (Kane isn’t going to misjudge the guy’s trajectory; he will sidestep easily if some moron tries to clobber him as the last man back). There’s fearlessness and there’s selfishness. This is not an example of fearlessness. AHL mistake.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/29/11 at 02:20 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Is Shanahan making vidoes of non-suspensions too?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/29/11 at 02:23 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Shanny likes to cite past infractions and player history when adjudicating…I wonder how that will play in with a LACK of background to draw from.

I still say 5 games on principal.

My question is…if he is suspended the rest of pre-season and 3 games into the regular season, if that punishment automatically transfers to the AHL if he is dumped down to GR.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 02:29 AM ET

I still say 5 games on principal.

Not a chance in hell.  Again, compare this to the Sestito hit.  If Smith gets 5, Shanny needs to be fired.

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 02:31 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Or does it carry over to whenever he makes the actual Wings squad?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/29/11 at 02:31 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Any suspension handed out by the NHL has to be served while on the NHL roster.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/29/11 at 02:35 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I say that, Garth, because it was a DIRECT head hit….WITH injury (I am assuming.) What Sessito did was stupid, but….as you pointed in an earlier post, what Brendan Smith did was NOT (potentially) avoid delivering “brain damage.”

I think it’s a message call either way….a BIG suspension, or NO suspension.

I wouldn’t want to be Shanahan’s wife tonight….well, I’d never want to be his wife, but you get the picture I hope.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 02:39 AM ET

Biggest problem I have with this whole post is a member of the NHL media, not a blogger, calling Smith an *#$%@&.

I wonder if he said that face to face to him after the game?

Posted by MillerMan on 09/29/11 at 02:39 AM ET

Sorry, dumbass.

Posted by MillerMan on 09/29/11 at 02:40 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Garth on 09/29/11 at 12:31 AM ET

What we’ll get to see in Shanahan’s decision here is how much more or less important injury is than intent.  Ben Smith was hurt and Sestito’s victim was not.

Hell, even “intent” isn’t the right word, because I still don’t think Sestito was doing anything but being stupid.  It’s just that taking into consideration how far Sestito had to come to make that hit, I can’t think of a better word than “intent”.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/29/11 at 02:41 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Who do you mean MillerMan? If you are talking about Tim Sassone, I am wondering which Smith is the dumb a$$ in his reaction.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 02:45 AM ET

Hurricane, if you read more of Sassone’s tweets, it is Brendan he is referring to.

Posted by MillerMan on 09/29/11 at 02:49 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Any suspension handed out by the NHL has to be served while on the NHL roster.

Thanks for clarifying Paul. Makes for another interesting scenario than doesn’t it. If he’s suspended into regular season play and you have ANY interest in calling him up due to injury, what do you do? Fascinating to think about….
Poor kid’s career may be in the hands of our #14 tonight.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 02:51 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I agree with your disgust.
Hockey is a fast and passionate game. It’s ‘spokespeople’ need to be quick to ponder and slow to speak.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/29/11 at 02:53 AM ET

Best just ignore what Sassone has to say as he’s a Chicago guy and is looking at the hit through rose-colored glasses.  No “dumb-a$$” call coming from him last October after his prized Norris trophy winner Duncan Keith blatantly elbowed Ruslan Salei straight to the face.

Posted by Valek on 09/29/11 at 02:56 AM ET

Easy call. He didn’t attempt to play the puck.

10 games.

Posted by Marc10 from Sydney, Oz on 09/29/11 at 03:11 AM ET

He didn’t attempt to play the puck.

Good. The play he made was more effective as the attacking player didn’t even get a shot on goal. Bravo.

10 games

If he gets 5 I’ll be stunned.

Posted by godblender on 09/29/11 at 03:19 AM ET