Video- Bogosian With A 5 Minute Boarding Penalty

Zach Bogosian with a hit on Pierre-Marc Bouchard late in the game.  Bogosian also received a ten and game misconduct.

The condition of Bouchard?

This via Michael Russo of Russo’s Rants,

Coach Mike Yeo said Bouchard was getting patched up, but an update will come Wednesday. I have heard his face is a mess. Obviously the concern is a head injury because Bouchard has a history of concussions. He returned last Dec. 1 after being limited to one game two seasons ago after his season-ending one three years ago.

First the hit via TSN and below, the Wild broadcasting team make the same call.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pierre-marc+bouchard, zach+bogosian

Comments

DrewBehr's avatar

I like that the Wild color commentator started ranting about the hit before he even saw what actually happened.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 12/14/11 at 08:02 AM ET

Am I the only one that think this doesnt deserve even a boarding penalty??

Dude barely got pushed… Its not Bogosian’s fault if Bouchard cant figure out hes gonna get pushed along the boards

Seriously, this looks like a perfect example of a player trying too hard to get a penalty, for me

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 12/14/11 at 09:48 AM ET

BRUTAL.

Bouchard turns at the last second. When are these guys going to learn?? ZB deserves no penalty, no suspension in my opinion.

Posted by Joe Buckner from Niagra on 12/14/11 at 10:16 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

This is one where I completely agree that the hittee put himself in a horrible position.
Bagosian started to make his hit while Bouchard was still sideways to the boards.
That’s all on Bouchard for spinning at the last minute.

I can see why the refs gave Zack 5-min because in real-time it looked brutal and with the climate for head-shots and boarding in the NHL, it’s safer to make a call than not.

But in the replays you can clearly see it’s not Bogosian’s fault in the least.
No suspension or fine warranted.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/14/11 at 10:47 AM ET

BMS's avatar

Tough call… Bogosian doesn’t exactly skate across the ice to hit him. He’s right there, assumes Bouchard’s going to be skating in one direction, I think, and then at the last second Bouchard decides to go the other way, turning towards the boards to protect the puck.

As @Hank1974 said, he got five from the ref which, in real time, seems appropriate. But I dount anything more will come of it.

Posted by BMS from Winnipeg on 12/14/11 at 01:25 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

I’m seeing more and more of this in the games I watch.  Players who have the puck have a false sense of security that they are not fair game if they are facing the boards.  Used to be a guy would never put himself in that situation.  Now it’s “hey, we could get a 5 minute powerplay out of this” .

Posted by wolverine on 12/14/11 at 01:54 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Zqto from Brazil

I agree.
Just an innocent shove to the shoulder, not even close to a head shot.

Players today started life with helmets for biking and sledding,  Never played without a Helmet, or a Helmet with face cage until they were 16 yr old.  Never learned the importance of protecting their heads.  Protecting their heads was an automatic reflex for their fathers and grandfathers.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 12/14/11 at 02:19 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Now it’s “hey, we could get a 5 minute powerplay out of this” .

I have trouble believing players are willingly putting themselves in danger for the chance at a big penalty, especially in that short of a time frame. I think it’s more a split second reaction of “not in the face” and “if I cant see them they’re less threatening” combined with trying to use the body to protect the puck.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/14/11 at 02:21 PM ET

5 minutes is the right call and it should end there. The five cost Bogosian the game and set up the Wild for a nice PP. He did break the rule and was penalized for it, but this is an instance where supplementary discipline is not called for.

Not to blame the victim, but turning your back at the last second is a good way to get yourself killed. You can even see by Bogosian’s reaction along the boards that there was no intent on his part and since the NHL insists on using intent as a criteria they have to take that into account. Terrible for Bouchard who has every “right” to make the play he did, but paid a pretty high price. I see this as a 2 game ban because the NHL will want to make sure the optics play out right and Shanahan will say something like the player has a respsonsibility to be aware of the opposing players vulnerability along the boards leading to an injury, but no malicious intent.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/14/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

That’s an excellent observation.
It’s weird to look at photo’s of a young Gretzky playing in a peewee game with only a flimsy helmet on; no cage, no visor.

I don’t think we can go back, but I think there’s a great point in your statement.
I’ve watched kids play today and they’re so armored up they disregard common sense because they don’t think they can get hurt. And for the most part, smaller kids can’t do that much damage.
But we’re seeing what kind of trouble can arise when these kids grow into fullsized, strong men.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/14/11 at 02:29 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No further action will be taken.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/14/11 at 06:23 PM ET