Video- Bertuzzi Hit On Johnson Tonight

Todd Bertuzzi received 5 for elbowing and a game, Ryan Johnson went to the quiet room.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+johnson, todd+bertuzzi

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

At full speed this looks like the dirtiest hit by any player since Bertuzzi’s last incident.

In slow motion, it just looks like a botched hipcheck with accidental head contact.

No idea if there will be additional discipline.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/28/11 at 10:08 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Dumbass. How many games will he get?

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/28/11 at 10:10 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

Stupid play, Unfortunately i can see a suspension for this. Bert flew in there without thinking and was probably going for a good hit. Also notice how he spins a bit to hit with his hip?  I think him doing that made him feel awkward and i think his elbow came up to cushion himself on the glass. Or maybe he just wanted to take Johnsons head off… i mean he does have an ugly jersey on.

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 03/28/11 at 10:10 PM ET

SK77's avatar

if Bert would have gone straight into Johnson and kept his arms down we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

fine? 1-2 games?

Posted by SK77 on 03/28/11 at 10:17 PM ET

Tony's avatar

No idea if there will be additional discipline.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/28/11 at 08:08 PM ET

Agree with just about everything, except the accidental head contact part…. He clearly came up with his elbow…

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/28/11 at 10:19 PM ET

Boy, I don’t envy Old Colie the call he has to make on this one.

Watching it again, one angle looks like he’s trying to throw a hipcheck and lines it up wrong (strange location to do that, though; if he misses the guy he’ll go flying into the boards off-balance at a high speed). Another angle makes it look like he’s playing torpedo with his elbows.

No idea what to make of this.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/28/11 at 10:21 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Even if his arm was down, they probably could have called charging. He came outta nowhere

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/28/11 at 10:22 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i really dont believe it was intentional by no means, but we have rules for this now and unfortunately its gonna cost. I still dont think it was an elbow, looks more like the area between elbow and shoulder. Meh.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/28/11 at 10:22 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Bad hit. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Come on Bert.
Johnson’s back in the game. We’ll see how the wheel of justice lands on this one.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 03/28/11 at 10:24 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

At least Johnson’s OK. I don’t think that Bertuzzi intended to hit Johnson in the head, but when he turned away from the hit, he also left his feet, and you simply cannot do that. I don’t know if he’ll be suspended, but given his reputation, I would imagine he’s going to be talking to Colin Campbell tomorrow morning.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/28/11 at 10:25 PM ET

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/28/11 at 08:19 PM ET

I can’t tell. His arm might come up because he’s off balance. Or he’s just trying to kill somebody. One of the two.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/28/11 at 10:25 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Bert hasn’t hit a guy in like five years.  Obviously his timing is off.  Yeah it was an unintentional elbow to the head but he should have got 2:00 minutes tops.

If he gets anything else it will be a joke.

Seriously Paul?  You got that up quick.  You sit there watching the Wings just waiting for Bertuzzi to do something wrong then you pounce on it. wink

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 03/28/11 at 10:27 PM ET

Stupid, dirty, dangerous play by Bertuzzi.  All he has to do is keep his arms down and it’s a clean hit.  It will be interesting to see the ruling the NHL makes.  Does he fall into the category of repeat offender that doesn’t get it?  Does he fall into the Heatley category?  Does he get nothing?

I imagine he gets 5-8 games.  I can’t say if that’s too much or too little.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 10:27 PM ET

Chet's avatar

yeah, but the elbow doesn’t make contact. it’s more a wrapup with the arm or a forearm shiver that was pretty incidental. it also looks worse because johnson’s lid went flying.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 03/28/11 at 10:28 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I don’t know. Slow motion looks more like an armpit check than an elbow, like he’s trying to raise above the head and didn’t pull it off.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 03/28/11 at 10:28 PM ET

I imagine he gets 5-8 games.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you f*cking kidding right?

RIGHT?!?!?

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 10:29 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

You know, I looked at it again and if he keeps his arms in, I think he takes Johnson’s head off with his shoulder, just my thought on that part of it.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 03/28/11 at 10:29 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

Ya i do question if his arm came up on an off balance im going to hit the wall type issue. But yes i could see him getting 1-2 games. It was a dumb thing to do.

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 03/28/11 at 10:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Both MLive’s Ansar Khan and the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan think that there will be a suspension or at least some sort of supplementary discipline for Bertuzzi, and the AP describes the hit Classically:

Red Wings’ Bertuzzi ejected for a head shot

DETROIT (AP) - Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi has been called for a 5-minute elbowing penalty and a game misconduct against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Bertuzzi hit Blackhawks forward Ryan Johnson in the head 5:17 into Monday night’s game.

Johnson went down to his knees and gloves for a while before slowly getting up. He went off the ice and toward the dressing room, but played later in the first period.

Bertuzzi was ejected for a check that might’ve gone unpunished before the NHL started to crack down on such high hits.

Matt Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins was suspended for the last 10 games of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing defenseman Ryan McDonagh of the New York Rangers in the head.

I very, very, very genuinely don’t believe that Bertuzzi intended to hurt Johnson—when a 235-lb man wants to hurt you, you’re toast—but he made a hit that is unacceptable by leaving his feet and even as a Wings fan I would say that it’s 50/50 as to whether he’s suspended/fined or simply left to his own devices given that he got 5 and a game.

I don’t want to see hits like this in the game. I don’t think anybody does. The most important thing is that Johnson’s okay.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/28/11 at 10:34 PM ET

It looks like an armpit to the head not an elbow.  Maybe RJ went down due to the stench.  Bert is generally scared to death to hit anyone.  He starts doing so the last couple of games and now he is supposedly dirty again. I used to hate Bert but he is beyond remorseful and is nothing but a gentle giant now.  He even went back to, what looks like, check on RJ.  I would be shocked if he gets more then just getting tossed from this game.

Posted by blah on 03/28/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 08:29 PM ET

Take off your red and white glasses and tell me how he doesn’t get that many.  He’s a repeat offender.  He made the choice to hit with the elbow instead of keeping his arms down.  The league is attempting to do something, anything about head shots.  Granted, who the hell knows Campbell would do.  Considering Heatley threw an elbow, got two games, and had no history prior to that, would 5 games be really a stretch of the imagination?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 10:39 PM ET

Good thing Johnson was OK. Let’s hope he STAYS ok, which hopefully has been made certain by the new concussion-protocol measures.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 03/28/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Repeat offender probation is embarrassingly short. It’s like fourteen months or something.

Whatever it is, Bertuzzi’s formally clear of that tag for a long time now.

Whether it gets factored in behind closed doors, who knows.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/28/11 at 10:45 PM ET

Bert deserves nothing more if for no other reason than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-SMjhK0YMU .  Keith didn’t even get a penalty on this hit.  35 sec mark for best look.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/28/11 at 10:50 PM ET

Take off your red and white glasses and tell me how he doesn’t get that many.

He’s not a repeat offender.  He barely even hits anymore.  The league has not suspended guys who have been suspended in the last 18 months, and they’re going to suspend someone who’s been scared to hit for the last handful of years?

Take off your anti-Bertuzzi glasses and explain how he gets more than one or two?  There have been WAY worse hits this year that have gotten 1-2 games, yet somehow this deserves more than a half dozen?

Out of your MIND.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 10:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie tweet,

For those asking about Bertuzzi hit: I suspect he will walk with time served (5 and GM). Similar to Hornqvist on Seguin. Hornqvist fined.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/11 at 10:55 PM ET

Posted by Valek on 03/28/11 at 08:50 PM ET

Then by that token, Cooke and Heatley shouldn’t have gotten anything for their elbows as well.  Just because there was no call on that play doesn’t mean that letting Bertuzzi or any other player off is the right call.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 10:56 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I think it’s 50/50 as to whether the league will do anything because the right call was made—he got 5 and a game, and let’s be honest here, the injury always plays a role in what happens when an incident gets to Colin Campbell’s desk (it WILL be reviewed), and Johnson was thankfully not hurt.

We’ll see what happens. I’m a Wings fan so I hope Bert doesn’t get suspended, but if he’s fined I wouldn’t have a problem with it, and if he’s suspended, he’s suspended. The hit may have been unintentional but it’s obviously unacceptable.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/28/11 at 11:00 PM ET

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 08:56 PM ET

My point was that if they didn’t think Keith’s elbow, which was worse than Bert’s was worthy of a suspension or a fine, I don’t see how Bert deserves anything extra considering he pretty much just got a game suspension by being kicked out early in the first period.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/28/11 at 11:03 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 08:53 PM ET

It has nothing to do with Bertuzzi.  You don’t think the GM meeting that was just held where head shots were the main topic will be discussed?  Is this the type of hit you want to see all the time?  I guess the ‘he’s been scared to hit since the incident’ for Bertuzzi, will be like people who say, well, Cooke’s dirty but he can play an effective role.  It doesn’t that it was a dirty, dangerous, stupid play that could have easily been avoided.

Jarrko Ruutu hasn’t been suspended in over two years.  If he makes this hit instead of Bertuzzi, what’s your reaction?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 11:05 PM ET

Except that in this case it’s true.  Cooke is consistently dirty.  You Pens fans can talk all you want about Bylsma and Shero “talking to” Cooke, yet he continues to take dangerous runs at people.  Bertuzzi has a reputation, of course, but he hasn’t been in any kind of trouble in a long time and he TOOK IT UPON HIMSELF to CHANGE the way he plays.  As a Red Wings fan, watching through my red and white tinted glasses, I’m often frustrated that, for a guy his size, he’s not physical enough.

I’d probably say what I’m saying now, which is that he essentially already got a game suspension and there was no injury and there was clearly no intent to injure.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 11:12 PM ET

Bertuzzi isn’t technically a “repeat offender” for purposes of supplementary discipline, but there’s an increased push to actually punish headshots after the GM meeting and Bertuzzi’s name is poison when it comes to dangerous play.  I think this could be a two game like Heatley’s (even though I think Heatley’s act looked more malicious to me).

Anywhere in 0-4 games won’t surprise me at all.  More than that would draw some big attention.

Posted by HitokiriEric from Ann Arbor, MI on 03/28/11 at 11:14 PM ET

Anywhere in 0-4 games won’t surprise me at all.

I don’t think it’s deserved, but I wouldn’t be surprised by 1-2 games, and I wouldn’t really complain about it.  I think anything more is overboard.

That said, I agree with McKenzie, if only because the hit happened so early in the game that he’s essentially been suspended for a game already.

Posted by Garth on 03/28/11 at 11:17 PM ET

Posted by Valek on 03/28/11 at 09:03 PM ET

I agree completely with your reasoning, however, we all know the NHL is anything but consistent in its rulings.  The Heatley elbow was more vicious than the Cooke elbow based on the result, and they got the right call on Cooke based on his past history and such.  Not so much on Heatley in my opinion.  It’s a crap shoot and that more than anything needs to change.  It will be interesting to see how the league rules.  Also, how much does media reaction play into the rulings?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 11:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

No intent there at all… but stupid, STUPID play by Bertuzzi, in a night where he made more than a couple before being sent off.

And no, it wasn’t an elbow.  It was more his arm, loosely.  But dumb, dumb, dumb… no reason for Bert to have his arm up there in the first place.

Quite frankly, removing Bert from the game may have hurt CHI more than DET, as Bert was a turnover machine (and not in the good way) the first 5 min.  And Bert has been out of control the last few games.  Not in the “dangerous” sense but in the “Oh God, what is he doing?” sense.

But hey whatever…. throw 3 or 4 games at him even.  I truly don’t care, as a Wings fan.  We expect better of our players.

Posted by Primis on 03/28/11 at 11:22 PM ET

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/28/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Very true on the consistency, and my comments are more on point to how I think it should go.  It certainly wouldn’t surprise me if Bert got suspended if for no other reason than the only thing consistent about Campbell’s disciplinary rulings is their inconsitencies.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/28/11 at 11:25 PM ET

goon's avatar

I don’t think that Bertuzzi will get anything other than time served.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 03/28/11 at 11:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Somebody’s gotta say it—despite his ups and downs, there are Wings fans who like Bertuzzi and what he brings to the team both offensively and especially defensively (as strange as that sounds), myself included, so it’s not as if everybody holds him in contempt or something.

This was a stupid, needless and dangerous hit made by a player who’s reinvented himself and I would like to think that it no longer reflects his new-found maturity. We certainly don’t forget the past, but he’s no longer just a monster who did a horrific thing anymore. He’s a human being who’s grown up the hard way.

I get the feeling that 5 and a game and possibly a fine will send the message necessary in the NHL’s eyes, but obviously if he was to be suspended, I wouldn’t object to it because no one wants to see a player leave his feet and make contact with a player’s head, regardless of whether it’s from the blind side or straight on.

These hits have no place in the game—and it doesn’t matter whether they’re intentional or unintentional. I’m glad that the league’s getting toward a place where hits whose products are significant contact with a player’s head are no longer “part of the game.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/28/11 at 11:40 PM ET

Here’s the problem with the Bertuzzi hit: it’s outcome was far worse than the apparent intent.  If he wasn’t just bad at checking, it’s nothing more than a hard hit in the corner.  But he’s bad at checking, so he half misses the guy and in throwing out his arm to catch himself as he glances off and past, he bashes the player in the head.  That glancing passing elbow did 90% of the damage since his hip check largely missed.

This is the problem with the NHL.  People are not taught how to properly hit, and they are certainly not taught how to properly accept hits by being aware of their approach.

So you get behemoths like Bert occasionally flailing away like a gigantic 9 year old on a sugar rush, or players keeping their heads down as though they are playing in a broomball league and getting absolutely obliterated because of it, or guys lining up the head from 8 strides away… and the NHL has to rule equally against all of those origins of bad outcomes, which doesn’t really address any of the fundamental problems.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/11 at 12:13 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I wouldn’t mind seeing the NHL quite literally force its coaches and players to go through a video or three re-teaching them how to hit properly. It’s about separating a player from the puck, not trying to create maximum havoc.

Eddie Olczyk’s, “You need to keep your damn stick down because once your stick is high, your elbows get high, and your shoulders are up, and bad things happen” axiom seems very appropriate in this instance.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/29/11 at 12:19 AM ET