Video- A Little Message Sending At The End Of the Flyers/Penguins Game

We had a little bit of everything, even the coaches were involved in a yelling match.

Both Peter Laviolette and Tony Granato were tossed and the penalties assessed at the 18:57 mark of the 3rd period are listed below.

update 4:12pm, added the Hartnell vs. “The Hulk” video below…

added 8:44pm, Watch the Schenn cross-check on Crosby below and the reaction from the Penguins.

18:57 Pittsburgh Craig Adams: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Philadelphia Jakub Voracek: 2 minutes, coach/mgr on ice - bench
18:57 Pittsburgh Deryk Engelland: 5 minutes, fighting
18:57 Philadelphia Pavel Kubina: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Pittsburgh Arron Asham: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Philadelphia Marc-Andre Bourdon: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Philadelphia Danny Briere: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Pittsburgh Joe Vitale: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Philadelphia Brayden Schenn: 2 minutes, roughing
18:57 Philadelphia Zac Rinaldo: 10 minutes, misconduct
18:57 Pittsburgh Arron Asham: 10 minutes, misconduct
18:57 Philadelphia Brayden Schenn: 2 minutes, unsportsmanlike conduct
18:57 Philadelphia Wayne Simmonds: 5 minutes, fighting
18:57 Pittsburgh Paul Martin: 2 minutes, coach/mgr on ice - bench

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Other than fights happening, the two incidents are nothing alike.  This wasn’t a premeditated ambush.

Neither was the Pens/Islanders fiasco.

How easy it is to forget all of the little cheap things the Penguins were doing which helped escalate that situation.  The Penguins were not innocent victims that day, just like they’re not innocent victims here.

It takes two teams for stuff to get out of hand like this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 08:13 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 06:13 PM ET

Yep.  The Islanders weren’t angry about the last game where DP got that huge shit eating grin knocked right off of his face by Brent Johnson after he initiated contact with Matt Cooke in they dying seconds of a game.  Cooke deserved it, but let’s not act like the Islanders did nothing to provoke things.  But hey, bring out that unbiased post you wrote again so I can give it another look JJ.  Apparently, the Pens are the only team in the league that tries to get star players off their game by going at them after the whistle.  It’s not like Tavares didn’t have numerous questionable hits on Kris Letang or anything last season, but why would you want to look at that when you can just bask in the glow of admiration from the folks at Lighthouse Hockey and show how “unbiased” you were as a fan?  Guess what?  In the early 2000s, as everyone loves to point out all the time, the Pens were horrible.  They would get physically beaten most games and never did they react like this.  As an aside, you used to be a poster who could see things from multiple sides and not only think them, but express them, very well, in your posts.  What the hell happened to that poster?  Now, you are just as bad as most of the homers here, and I would unfortunately put myself in that group.

Back to the matter at hand.  The only thing that was out of hand here was Laviolette’s reaction.  Whether you like brawls after clean hits or not, that’s unfortunately the way the game is nowadays.  And if it was Crosby or Malkin on a clean hit, I would expect the Pens to act the same way.  I wouldn’t expect Dan Bylsma to throw a tantrum, break a stick, and jump on the boards while acting like a complete ass hat.  Both sides are dirty, hell, all hockey teams are dirty, but the only thing that makes this different is Laviolette’s reaction.  Like I said in a previous post, the Pens have to get their shit together this week and if this is what was needed, then so be it.  At this point, that’s all I care about.  One solid week of hockey from them and then get ready for a best of 7 with the team that I love to hate the most.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/02/12 at 08:37 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

You’re an idiot.
Posted by cs6687 on 04/02/12 at 06:05 PM ET

So then that’s a “no” to my earlier question.

But to keep to the original point, these Pennsylvania games are getting to be more a circus and less a hockey game anymore. The league risks looking like the 70’s minors as satirized in Slap Shot if they don’t crack down on this stupidity.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/02/12 at 08:41 PM ET

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/02/12 at 06:41 PM ET

Really?  After all the Wings/Avs games in the 90s you are going to bring this up?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/02/12 at 08:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/02/12 at 06:37 PM ET

I wasn’t going to bring up that post because I don’t need to.

I’m sorry that I apparently haven’t lived up to your lofty expectations of me, but could you tell me where in my last comment I absolved the Islanders of blame in what happened?  Hell, could you tell me where in that post you referenced I did that?

It sucks that I don’t agree with you on this, but if you calm down for a second and realize that all I said is that I don’t believe that Pens/Islanders game was “an ambush” and that it takes two teams to escalate things to where it gets as ugly as that game did, then I think you might just see a glimmer of that commenter whose loss you’re apparently mourning.

I’ve laid by biases pretty clearly on the table here and I’m not about to be manipulated by the disappointment over failing to live up to your made-up standards. If you’re going to act like you’re my mother, the least you could do is cook me dinner.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/02/12 at 08:51 PM ET