Video- I See A High Stick Here, Do You?

David Hale on Matt Hendricks tonight.  Got sit, high sticking call.

Come on out, we missed the call.

You decide.

Sens beat the Caps, 2-0.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: david+hale, matt+hendricks

Comments

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

So i’m thinking he his stick hit Hendrick’s helmet, and the helmet shifted and gave him the gash? is that right? that’d still be a high stick.  What I want to know is how they rationalized changing their call, without admitting watching a replay or something.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/26/11 at 01:05 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Maybe there was some question whether or not it was a follow-thru or not.

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/26/11 at 02:19 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Didnt need that second “or not”. I do need sleep though

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/26/11 at 02:20 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Horrible call.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/26/11 at 02:23 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by pensfan29 on 03/26/11 at 12:20 AM ET

haha apparently I do too, since I didn’t notice the second “or not” until your follow-up post.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/26/11 at 03:37 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

wow - what a shit call. I’ve never seen a ref rescind a penalty like this.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/26/11 at 12:18 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I’m not sure how it wasn’t a high stick, and I certainly don’t see how the penalty gets rescinded after it was called.

Clearly Hale didn’t intend to do it, and the stick does appear to go off Hendrick’s shoulder before it makes any contact with his head, but it’s still a poor call.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 03/26/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Capitals Insider,

In the first period there was another questionable incident, when Senators defenseman David Hale’s stick scraped along the right side of Matt Hendricks’s head, cutting him near the corner of his eye.

Hale was taken to the penalty box by one official and assigned a four-minute double minor for high sticking. The three other referees overruled, saying the cut was because of a skate.

“The first high-sticking one,” Boudreau said. “They were told that three other guys thought it was a skate, so it wasn’t a high-stick.”

Hendricks was asked about his view of the contact. “My view was an Easton Synergy in my face.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/26/11 at 03:24 PM ET

“My view was an Easton Synergy in my face.”

Hendricks for President!

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 03/27/11 at 01:13 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

this is simply unreal.  I think a skate to the face would have done a bit more damage than he ended up with.

and, um, even if it wasn’t the stick that cut him, it’s at least a 2 minute minor.  dumb ass NHL refs.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 03/27/11 at 06:26 PM ET