Uh-Oh AO

from Corey Masisak of the CSNWashington,

A group of media members were waiting for Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau outside the Washington dressing room for his post-game press conference. Majority owner Ted Leonsis and general manager George McPhee were about 20 feet away toward where the Capitals’ team bus awaited. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk were conversing in the hallway between the two locker rooms about 10 feet from where Boudreau would be speaking.

Both players appeared to be in good spirits, laughing and smiling with each other. It was a stark contrast to how somber Ovechkin was when he addressed reporters a few minutes earlier. Other players were leaving the dressing room for the bus having already showered and in their suits as Ovechkin—in a T-shirt and shorts—talked to Kovalchuk.

Alexander Semin came out of the room and turned right toward the bus when Ovechkin yelled for him. Semin gave him a disgruntled look, but capitulated and joined them in the discussion.

A minute or so later, Boudreau walked out to assume his place in front of the media. Already upset, he glanced to where Ovechkin, Semin and Kovalchuk were standing and he looked displeased.

more and PuckDaddy weighs in too…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+ovechkin, alexander+semin

Comments

Greg's avatar

Face of the game.

Posted by Greg on 11/23/10 at 12:20 PM ET

Yet another instance where I read the article and come away thinking “...who cares?”

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 11/23/10 at 12:31 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

Watch the video and you’ll see BB cares at the :47 mark.  I can’t think of another captain in the league that this type of event could even happen.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 11/23/10 at 12:50 PM ET

Could you imagine a Wing doing this 10 feet from Babcock’s post game press conference?  I think not, Uncle Mike would chew them up and spit them out right then and there.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/23/10 at 12:50 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

A captain can’t do this. Gotta say, the more I see of AO, the less impressed I am by him. I see a major flame out in this guy’s future.

People always talk about his “passion for the game.” Well, he seems really passionate about scoring goals, but not much else.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/23/10 at 01:00 PM ET

Greg's avatar

A Captain who knows he can get away with whatever he wants, with no repercussion from his team, management or owner is exactly the type of guy to act like this.  Forget a Red Wing doing it, I don’t even think Corey Perry would pull this shit…

Posted by Greg on 11/23/10 at 01:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I keep coming back to this article from Justin Bourne.

Where do you think Ovechkin fits?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 01:09 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I keep coming back to this article from Justin Bourne.

Where do you think Ovechkin fits?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 11:09 AM ET

Yeah, Ovechkin may be the textbook example of “Loves To Win Guy.”

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/23/10 at 01:21 PM ET

edillac's avatar

last year I pointed out in the A2Y comments that players need to hate to lose if they want to succeed,and I was blown away as an idiot or something,WTF bitches

and as this incident goes,chillax people,move on,Boudreau is a terrible coach,that is the real problem,and not Ovechkin and Kovalchuk talking after a game

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/23/10 at 03:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Link or it didn’t happen.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 03:43 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by Greg

Wow. I can’t think of a bigger insult. And well deserved too.

You gotta understand Russian patriotism too.  These guys all pal around back home and I don’t think that the NHL means to them what it means to us.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul

Que? If I had to play in Russia, I’d meet up with North Americans too and chat it up in English. And the NHL doesn’t mean as much to them? Want to say that about Datsyuk? Or the Russian 5?  Is Filpulla talking to Selanne after a game and helping out with his kids camp over the summer a sign that he doesn’t care about the NHL, or a sign of incomprehensible Finnish patriotism?

Posted by Osrt on 11/23/10 at 04:07 PM ET

edillac's avatar

so I am lying,and am supposed to prove things to you?
dont be so full of yourself

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/23/10 at 04:07 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

so I am lying,and am supposed to prove things to you?

dont be so full of yourself

It’s called swagger.

seriously though..calm down.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/23/10 at 04:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m being the one full of himself when you’re being the martyr saying that you said the exact same thing and got attacked for it a year earlier?  Why’d you bring it up in the first place if you didn’t want some sort of recognition?

Don’t give yourself too much credit.  I think what you’re remembering is the time when you said North Americans don’t have a heart for the game like Europeans, which is not at all related to the love-to-win versus hate-to-lose debate.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 04:19 PM ET

edillac's avatar

nope J.J., it was an other discussion,I was ranting about how it hurts more to lose than it feels good to win ( for me personally) and that I think that most athletes feel like that, noone agreed on it,
funny how it goes,everyone hates Bert,Howard will suck horribly,etc.

and for the record: swagger would be letting JoeyMac play a couple

p.s. not trying to start a fight,or anything similar,still love yous guys

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/23/10 at 04:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well then I’m sorry I don’t remember that conversation.  I know I likely wouldn’t have attacked a statement like that because I believe it’s an important distinction.

I also would like to put up a quick reminder that I was Protuzzi from the start, and only rode him hard when he wasn’t playing well and deserved to be ridden hard.

That, and I was very pro-Howard.  Of course, I’m pro-Osgood too.

As it relates back to Ovechkin and this story, yeah it just seems like losing doesn’t bother him as much as it does other guys.  I’m starting to wonder if the show at last year’s Olympics was just because he hated talking to the media?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 04:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So, what you are saying, HockeytownOverhaul is that Russian Patriotism affects the way Kovalchuk and Ovechkin view the NHl, but not the way Datsyuk views the NHL?

You didn’t say anything about the level of class; you attributed Ovechkin’s and Kovalchuk’s (off-handedly Semin’s as well) disrespect to their being Russian.

Leave it at “Datsyuk has class” and leave generalizations about countries of origin out of this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 05:32 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Link or it didn’t happen.

Is that like when a bear shits in the woods it doesn’t really happen unless some heard it.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 11/23/10 at 06:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If the bear wants credit for taking a shit, then yes.

We’ve moved on though.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 06:09 PM ET

If this is Brett Hull on the Wings talking to Adam Oates on the Caps would this be a big deal? Probably not, both North American, Brett was a bit of a dude. Make them Russians and its a story.  The real story is Ovechkin partied too hard in the off season and hasn’t played up to his standard.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/23/10 at 06:18 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How about I leave it at what I said J.J.  Keep your Nazi Rules for Commenting to yourself.

The end of the conversation comes anytime somebody chooses to go to the extreme to reference the Nazis.

I was just trying to help you, because the way you made it sound, you were either saying that Datsyuk isn’t as patriotic as Ovechkin and Kovalchuk or that he just doesn’t have any friends.

You want to sound like a retard though, enjoy yourself.  I’ll keep out of your business.  No point bothering to discuss with somebody who can’t take a disagreement without going nuclear with ad hominem attacks.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 06:30 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Rough day round these here internets. Holiday stress getting to everyone already?

The location of the conversation clearly could have been chosen better, if only for courtesy’s sake. But to get on these players for having a chat and even laughing after the game is nonsense, even in the case of a poorly played game. The competition can stay on the ice.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/23/10 at 06:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Are you ok?  Like, seriously?  Is everything well with you?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 06:55 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Hey, what’s everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/23/10 at 07:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

btw, Happy Holidays J.J., I play rough but we’re still same team.

You too.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/10 at 07:17 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/23/10 at 04:31 PM ET

They were clearly a bit rude, but you see that routinely now, talking loudly on a cell phone and ignoring actual people and so forth.

No way to tell what they were talking about. Ovechkin could very well have been telling Kovalchuck to enjoy the win, because it was one of the few he’d get before an early summer while he (Ovechkin) was playing in the playoffs. Annoying to be where it was bothering the coach, but not really a big deal.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 11/23/10 at 10:13 PM ET