Two Canadian Cities Won’t Be Happy

The Hockey News continues their conference rankings…

13 MONTREAL CANADIENS

Why: While Montreal found a wonderful line of Erik Cole, Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais last season, the team still doesn’t score enough goals. They added grit in the form of Brandon Prust and Colby Armstrong that will beef up an undersized forward corps, but that doesn’t address the need for offense….

13 EDMONTON OILERS

Why: There were a couple of voices in the THN office making a case for the Oilers to be a playoff team, but in the end, the majority decided it was still too soon. We do believe the Oilers will improve from recent showings and maybe even move out of the draft lottery. Nail Yakupov is dynamic, but first-year expectations should be tempered. Defense and goaltending is still a big question mark and in a loaded Western Conference those are debilitating shortfalls….

more on each team…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

I’m pretty sure one of them expects to be near the bottom.

The other one doesn’t need an excuse to riot. wink

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/09/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Predictions pass the time away but mean nothing. Most of so-called experts picked Florida in last place for the past season. These experts are no better at picking results as anyone that posts on this website and in some cases the posters know better because they follow a specific team while the HN group watch a select few. That said can’t argue with the two teams listed. Montreal hasn’t done much to improve this summer and Edmonton has some great young players but plays in an improved NW division. However Edmonton could finish anywhere from first to last, hard to say how they will do, that is why they play the games.

Posted by Puckbubba from FL. on 08/09/12 at 04:11 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I disagree.  I think Montreal will be back in the hunt.  May not have scored many goals last year but they’ve added quality leadership and sandpaper on the ice that is sure to open up some time and space for the smaller skill guys, which I think will produce more offense.  Plus Carey Price and PK Subban?  I’d expect to see Buffalo down there before Montreal.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/12 at 04:57 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

I’d think I’d pick them both to finish a little higher.  There are some teams that are standing still in comparison to them both.  Didn’t bother reading the article but Montreal seems to be moving in the right direction and they might even end up being big draft winners, though that’ll take more than the next year to play out. Edmonton, well yeah they’re starting to load up.  Might be a player or two on their own end away from making a big step but if they stay healthy I think they could be 10-11.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/09/12 at 05:49 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/12 at 02:57 PM ET

I agree, in particular because I think Galchenyuk has a good chance of being a real impact player right away.  And there’s nothing like having a team that actually wants to win for management, and I think Bergevin is that kind of guy and will run a team where the players want to win for him.  With guys like Galchenyuk, Eller, Pacioretty and Cole up front the whole small-guy team image is starting to peel away.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/09/12 at 07:50 PM ET