TSN’s “Franchise Faceoff”

Here’s one that should have you haters calling me a moron. Jonathon Toews won the TSN “Franchise Faceoff”. This was, for those of you who didn’t play along with it like me, a contest for all NHL fans to vote on. The concept was, who would you want to build a franchise around with current NHL players who are under 23 years old..The voting was set up in bracket form, single elimination style.

Toews began his bracket by eliminating ‘Canes Jeff Skinner (2011 Rookie of the Year).  Matt Duchene (The Av’s) fell next to the Hawks Captain. In the 3rd round, Toews beat out Drew Doughty (Kings). The final, or do you prefer frozen, four included Toews VS. Doughty and Kane VS.  Stamkos.  Obviously Stamkos prevailed over Kane, only to lose to Toews in the final. I’m sure his trophy case - ‘10 Stanley Cup, “10 Conn Smythe MVP. “10 Olympic Gold Medal as well as 2 World Junior Championships played a big part to those who voted.

Toews four season average, by the way is, (with 302 games played) almost 29 goals and 67 points per year. I am a big supporter of this kid and look forward to even bigger numbers this season. Although any of those last 4 would be great, I’m gald the Hawks actually have 2 of them. If anything, he’ll have one more thing to give Kaner a hard time about.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vince Maranto, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jonathon+toews

Comments

nice how they wait till sids turns 24 before starting the contest.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 08/10/11 at 04:11 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I noticed the age limit was set just under Sid’s age. That’s probably because they knew he would’ve ran away with it.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/10/11 at 04:21 PM ET

perfection's avatar

as a Red Wings fan, it’s really easy to love Toews too, despite the fact that he captains a division rival. I actually watched the draft on TV where he was selected and he went out of his way to find Steve Yzerman at the Red Wings’ table and introduce himself. Then he chose #19, obviously an homage to his favorite player and really the ultimate captain in sports history. As young as he is, he’s already led his team to a cup, a feat that took Yzerman himself almost 15 years. He seems to have that stoic, quiet, lead by example, professionalism that not only makes captains great, but eventually makes franchises great. He really is the real deal and of all the players listed (and you can throw in Crosby too for that matter), he is who I would build my franchise around too.

and all of this is in sharp contrast to Patrick Kane who just seems like a monstrous douchebag. needless to say, I would NOT build a franchise around him, big goals or not.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/10/11 at 04:21 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I’m a huge Toews fan as well for all the reason listed above, but I’m guessing that if all the GMs had their pick of one player to build their franchise with between Toews and Stamkos, they’d take Stammer - regardless of the (ridiculously impressive) trophy case and clutch performances already offered by Toews.  He’s sort of hit his ceiling already, and I can’t see him as a perennial 50 goal threat.  But it’s very close.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/10/11 at 04:52 PM ET

Unless you’re trying to say you think Crosby’s brains are scrambled, that’s just crazy talk. Crosby had the same goal total and ten less assists than Toews in 50% of the games played. That’s roughly double the production over a single season and Toews just had a career year!

On topic, it’s not that much of a surprise to me that Toews would win this. His ceiling isn’t as high as Stamkos or Duchene, but, unlike them, his projections are written in ink.

You know he’ll get 70 points in a full year. You know he’ll win faceoffs and play sound D doing it. You know he’s clutch. You know he hates to lose. You know you can use him in any situation at any time in any game. And you know he’ll never get drunk and bite/{attempt billion $ bribe to} a cop (I sure as Hell don’t know this about Pat Kane).

The other forwards in this list aren’t nearly the certainty in any of these areas that Toews is, even though I personally wouldn’t be surprised if Duchene wins an Art Ross some day, something that Toews is unlikely to do.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/10/11 at 05:01 PM ET

awould's avatar

I would choose Toews as well. Stamkos is a very close second and could easily surpass Toews in my estimation in the next couple of seasons.

I don’t think Kane even belongs in the conversation and Skinner is just a rookie so by default nobody will consider him seriously yet. Doughty is a dark horse candidate; would love to see him in a Wings uniform but don’t ever see it happening.

Posted by awould on 08/10/11 at 05:35 PM ET

perfection's avatar

re. Crosby, there are other factors besides point totals at play here (...I mean Cory Perry had a ton of points last year and he’s one of the LAST people I would want to “build a franchise around”)

like salary for example… Crosby’s cap hit is a whopping $8.7mil while Toews is a pretty manageable $6.3mil. So Crosby actually gets compensated for that extra production and a franchise built around Toews has nearly $3mil more to spend on another player.

also, and this is the big one for me, LEADERSHIP. I realize those who are fans of Crosby somehow don’t see him this way, but it’s no coincidence everyone else on the planet, including NHL players themselves, do see him this way… Crosby is a whiny bitch who scores a lot and says the right things in interviews, but is an embarrassment for a captain whereas Toews is rapidly becoming the model captain in the league. Again, when you’re talking about building a franchise around someone, you can find other guys to make up the goals, but true leaders in the Yzerman mold are few and far between. Toews just seems to have it.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/10/11 at 06:06 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

My vote goes to Darren Helm, he plays every shift like its his last.  Too bad he’s 24.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/10/11 at 06:10 PM ET

what everyone else around hockey thinks

what people who play with him think

what the record book says
Youngest NHL captain to win Stanley Cup (21 years, 10 months, and 5 days)

That Crosby has ever done a poor job as Captain is a myth created by that Voxo idiot who used to write for this website. The same one who called Mario Lemieux a ‘piece of garbage’ for the crime of charging for an autograph signing and subsequently donating the proceeds to kids with cancer.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/10/11 at 06:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Toews always took a lot of punishment, but he learned to dive this year.  For a guy I saw fight through so many checks, it was disappointing to see him fall down so much this season.

Not even that I could necessarily blame him, watching the kind of stuff that guys were getting away with doing to the kid, just… disappointing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/11 at 07:30 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

He spells his name is VooX.

And he didnt create a myth, he just exaggerated a feeling most non-Penguins fans have.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/10/11 at 07:34 PM ET

He spells his name is VooX.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/10/11 at 05:34 PM ET

Since the only place ‘most non-Penguins fans’ have that ‘feeling’ is on that blog voxo was filling in on (rather wretchedly, I might add), I’m going to assume he’s the one who made that up. The closest you can find to any quote from anyone backing anything like that up is when Pronger once said “Crosby used to whine too much, but he learned not to do that” when asked what Mike Richards could do to be a better Captain.

Whines/dives comes up a lot in Crosby criticism. ‘Bad Captain’ comes up one place only and never has elsewhere.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/10/11 at 07:45 PM ET

He spells his name is VooX.
Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/10/11 at 05:34 PM ET

And we spell it voxo, Guywithahermesscarf.brazil.com

Posted by NathanBC on 08/10/11 at 07:51 PM ET

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/10/11 at 05:34 PM ET

Most of the non Penguin fans who feel this way seem to be fans of teams that have been defeated by the Pens in the playoffs.  I’m sure none of the ill will comes from that though…

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 08/10/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

And we spell it voxo, Guywithahermesscarf.brazil.com

No idea what that meant, I just hope you’re not bashing my country, you’re better than that.

I already felt that way when the Red Wings won the ‘08 Cup.

I’m not criticizing anyone, just defending (not that he needs it) a friend mentioned for no reason.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/10/11 at 09:27 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Spoken like a fan who has seen Crosby skate the Cup around his team’s home ice. LOL

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/10/11 at 09:29 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

but true leaders in the Yzerman mold are few and far between.

BTW, Yzerman had trouble get past the second round until Bowman,Federov & Lidstrom arrived. Some believed he was just another Dionne until those three arrived.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/10/11 at 09:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I miss the good old days when every post would devolve into a pissing match about Crosby.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/11 at 09:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by BrendonR on 08/10/11 at 02:52 PM ET

This.

I like Toews, but I think if you asked any NHL GM they’d take Stamkos.  Stamkos has an offensive upside Toews doesn’t, and as far as I’m concerned the same sort of skillset with the rest of his game.

Posted by Primis on 08/10/11 at 11:45 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

After Thought.
TSN put Toews up against Sid in a one on one vote for top leader and “The Kid” beat Toews over-whelmingly 76% to 24%.
Game,Set & Match.