TSN’s Trade Bait Board

via TSN,

Montreal Canadiens pending unrestricted free agent Ben Chiarot was listed atop the first TSN Hockey Trade Bait board of the 2021-22 season on Tuesday.

The list, unveiled by TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston, has Dallas Stars goaltender Anton Khudobin at No. 2 and Boston Bruins winger Jake DeBrusk at No. 3.

Seattle Kraken captain Mark Giordano and San Jose Sharks centre Tomas Hertl rounded out the top five. Of the five, only Khudobin, who carries a $3.33 million cap hit through next season, is signed beyond this year, though DeBrusk is an arbitration-eligible restricted free agent.

Detroit Red Wings defenceman Nick Leddy was listed at No. 6, followed by New York Rangers prospect Vitali Kravtsov and Minnesota Wild pending restricted free agent forward Kevin Fiala.

Arizona Coyotes veteran Phil Kessel is listed ninth, followed by Sharks winger Evander Kane, who is currently with the San Jose Barracuda in the AHL after serving a 21-game suspension for submitting a fake COVID-19 vaccination card.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

We’re obviously not going to be trading for him, but I hope that Hertl is a serious consideration for Yzerman at next year’s free agency.

Posted by godblender on 12/08/21 at 04:03 PM ET

I’m surprised that Claude Giroux isn’t on this list. I’d love to see a veteran RH mentor for our forwards. David Krecji would have been a perfect fit, but Claude Giroux is a solid option who is nearly a point per game player. I don’t really want the Wings to part with assets for him, but I think he’d be a great July pickup.

I don’t want to trade Leddy either unless he refuses to re-sign or he requests a trade. Solid vets who want to be a part of a rebuild are hard to find.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 12/08/21 at 04:23 PM ET

I hope Leddy stays another year.

Posted by pnwwing on 12/08/21 at 05:38 PM ET

I’m still kind of jaded by the interview Leddy gave when he was traded to the Wings from the Isles.  The responses he gave had a hint of being ever-so-slightly pissed off with the trade.  Well, it was understandable:  he was just in playoffs the season before and now he’d been traded to a bottom-five team.

But all along, I felt that if he played well enough, fine, I’m okay with trading him to a true Cup contender with some draft picks coming back.  Two second-round picks would be plenty enough, I think.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 12/08/21 at 05:38 PM ET

SYF - imo, leddy could be in the playoffs again this season with his current team, if he, and his fellow D corps would quit watching the puck..

Posted by rickytarr on 12/08/21 at 05:52 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I am sorry, but I want to see Leddy traded. He was brought in to mentor Seider/Hronek because the Isle would have lost him in the Seattle expansion drafted otherwise.

He’s been as advertised, but he’s an UFA and getting long in the tooth (at least by Detroit rebuild standards) and should fetch a return that could be the final pieces of the rebuild.

He was extremely costly to acquire with the thought that he would bring back even more in return at the trade deadline because of his age, skating ability, and offensive output. We already have one Staal that was brought he to be a deadline asset and found a way to stick around instead. It’s great that we have these vets that helped out the young core (Seider/Hronek/Lindstrom), but there always will be 30+ year old d-men that can be brought in for veteran leadership.

Posted by d ca on 12/09/21 at 01:08 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by godblender on 12/08/21 at 04:03 PM ET

I like the player, but where does Hertl fit in? Yzerman signed Suter for 2 years.  We have a glut of 3C’s need a viable 2C I wonder if Yzerman trades a Center this year.

I don’t know you all see in Leddy that you want him back, he’s a trainwreck in our zone. Need evidence, take a peek at the teams +/-, its a stat that I’m not a huge fan off, but its a predictive directional measure none the less.  Unless and until this team becomes an offensive juggernaut, defense be damned, he’s not a fit here, and Yzerman way overpaid for him.  Now that said, I fully expect Yzerman to recoup some of that capital trading him in a few months.  Going forward, Seider and Hronek have proven to be more than capable of handling PP duty, Edvinsson could be part of that mix as well.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/09/21 at 08:45 AM ET

Yeah, I have seen Leddy weak in his own end—something less than advertised what he was supposed to be just before he got here. I hope Steve can trade him at the deadline to a team the like Wild for assets (send him back to his home state of MN—that should make him happy).

Posted by exor54 on 12/09/21 at 10:41 AM ET

Someone if going to pay for Giroux but I sincerely hope it isn’t the wings. There is a reason many in Philly will be happy to see him gone. He’s never been much of a leader and the team has consistently been inconsistent during his time with the club. he should have been stripped of the C long ago. He’s past his prime and whoever does sign him will likely regret it before the contract is up. Salary cap is a asset too.

Posted by evileye on 12/09/21 at 12:35 PM ET

Posted by rickytarr on 12/08/21 at 05:52 PM ET

Aye.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 12/09/21 at 02:38 PM ET