Travis Hamonic Receives Five And A Game For An Almost Elbow

The animated .gif below tells it all.

Now Orpik was hurt, came back with stiches above the nose area, but I don’t think the damage was done by Hamonic.

The gif was posted at HFBoards by a user named HookeyPookey.

image

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brooks+orpik, travis+hamonic

Comments

Definitely late.  The puck was gone about 3 seconds before the contact.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/11/11 at 01:33 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Orpik high-sticked himself. Yes, he got bumped, but it was just a bump—and keep in mind that the .gif slows down at the point of contact, so it’s hard to “judge time” without seeing it in real time.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/11/11 at 01:36 AM ET

I don’t see a late hit.  Counting the seconds from the beginning of that .gif, it’s at most 2 seconds before the hit.  Call a 2 minute minor for interference on the hit if you want, but even that’s borderline.

Definitely an unfortunate call.

Posted by BuzzFledderjohn on 12/11/11 at 01:38 AM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/10/11 at 10:33 PM ET

Even if we agree, that’s what, 2 minutes for interference?

Not five and a game.

Posted by Garth on 12/11/11 at 01:45 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Hard to tell, but I don’t think I’d call that a penalty at all. Orpik high-sticked himself.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/11/11 at 01:45 AM ET

clearly not a game misconduct.  perhaps interference, and i would have called that as such, but funny that orpik sticks himself and then Neal scores.  go pens!

nobody can dis the Islanders, everyone knows they are part of the laughstock crew in the NHL (carolina and blue jackets are with ‘em)

Tavares is good, props to him.

Posted by bob errey on 12/11/11 at 01:52 AM ET

Textbook penguins hockey

=D

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 12/11/11 at 01:53 AM ET

Tony's avatar

To Orpik’s credit, he said himself it was a BS call….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/11/11 at 02:07 AM ET

Paul's avatar

To Orpik’s credit, he said himself it was a BS call….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/10/11 at 11:07 PM ET

Good for him.

Sometimes the refs just miss a call and in my opinion, this is one of them. Hopefully they can do something about the game misconduct.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/11/11 at 02:10 AM ET

Terrible call. Shouldn’t have been interference even. Minimal contact along the boards a few seconds after the puck is passed?

Posted by teldar on 12/11/11 at 03:05 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Looked bad in real-time.  Like he got his shoulder up to the head…don’t know where the elbow came from, though.

Really bad call, though…unfortunate for the Isles.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 12/11/11 at 04:05 AM ET

Refs can’t get everything right. Betting that Hamonic’s reputation was a factor in the ref’s decision. I’ve seen the reputation factor work both ways: Iginla gets away with stuff that Bertuzzi always gets called on.

Posted by Iggy_Rules on 12/11/11 at 04:25 AM ET

Bad call and things like these should be reviewed.  Not whether it was a penalty or not, but for the game misconduct.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/11/11 at 12:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

terrible call &  when I 1st saw it I thought “How the hell did that cut him” ? I had to see the replay a 2nd time to see it

Posted by Evilpens on 12/11/11 at 12:44 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Am I the only that thinks this was a good call? The player Orpik passes the puck to has not only received the puck but made a move with it before contact. And Hamonic sticks his arm out. He’s skating up with it in with both hands on his stick, then takes his arm off his stick, sticks the elbow out when he brings his forearm up parallel across his chest as he steps into Orpik. I wouldn’t be shocked with 1 or 2 games for that. If he had kept both hands on his stick, 2 minutes for interference probably would’ve been ok, but Harmonic doesn’t.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 12/11/11 at 01:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Watching the .gif, it doesn’t even look like Orpik’s stick makes contact with his face. This looks like a complete dive by the Pittsburgh D-man.

The more the refs react to players going down like they’ve been shot, the more we’re going to see that reaction.  It’s disgusting. I really think the league is going to need to start handing out supplemental penalties for embellishments after games.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/11/11 at 01:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

J.J. that was my first thought when I saw the gif.  But, as I mentioned in the post, he was hurt and I’ve read he actually was bleeding when he went off the ice.

I agree, even his own stick hitting him looked questionable from the angle we see, but unless he had some fake blood pellets….

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/11/11 at 02:02 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/11/11 at 10:58 AM ET

Yeah, he was bleeding pretty bad.  Had a pretty nice gash above his nose, too.  Looked like a third eye…

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 12/11/11 at 02:12 PM ET

I wouldn’t be shocked with 1 or 2 games for that.

Stupidest thing I’ve read in…well…sadly only days…  But still, very very very very very stupid.

Posted by Garth on 12/11/11 at 02:39 PM ET