Trade Shea Weber

from Josh Cooper of Yahoo,

We give five reasons why Nashville should trade Weber, at least at some point within the next year.

1. The offers will be ridiculously in Nashville’s favor

His $7.857 million salary cap hit, while less awful in today’s post 2012-13 lockout world, is a lot. Also, some teams have the money, and the lunacy, to part with multiple good, young NHL-ready forwards Nashville needs. Weber is a physical speciman and cornerstone defenseman, but his perceived value, especially amongst old boys GMs, may be greater than his actual worth. Many probably still drool over this 2010 Olympics shot where the puck went through the net on a goal.

The Oilers under former general manager Craig MacTavish always seemed to be hot after Weber. And he’s the type of player the current Edmonton group could use with Connor McDavid coming in. Wait, how would Weber ever allow a trade to EdmonHoth? Oh yeah, the Predators didn’t give him any no-trade clause. So they can deal him to whatever team they want.

And new Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli has seemed OK with dealing good, young forwards at points of his career. If you’re going to trade the face of your franchise, you need to make sure you get the right pieces back. There are teams that have the type of NHL-ready young talent who can step in and score right away – like again, Edmonton.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

Decent sell. I’d think about it if I were Nashville. Especially if you could get Nurse and one a good center, like Draisaitl. Would Edmonton give up Draisaitl, Yakupov and Nurse?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/30/15 at 11:19 AM ET

Primis's avatar

They should have let him go to PHI.

I don’t care what ANYONE else says, the indisputable fact remains that when he signed PHI’d offer sheet, he did not know for certain NAS would or could match.

Therefore, by signing that offer sheet he was prepared to at least possibly leave NAS.

And that makes item #5 on that list in the article perhaps the most-important point Cooper makes:  that choice is going to now follow and dog Weber for the rest of his career.  Don’t believe me?  Ask Red Wings fans about Sergei Fedorov.  Once that sheet is signed, nothing is ever the same again, and Weber can’t possibly claim he has always wanted to be in Nashville because everyone knows better.

I’m genuinely surprised he’s still in NAS.  The Preds could get a good return for him honestly, and to wait probably drives that return down…

Posted by Primis on 07/30/15 at 11:42 AM ET

What would Holland be willing to give up for a crack at Weber?  Even though I despise Weber for his cheap shot on Z a few years ago, I for one would bust the bank open to land him.  Mantha?  Marchenko?  Ouellet?  I love them all but I’d package all of them up and picks along with a roster player (Helm?) to land possibly the best D-man in the game today.

Posted by Wise1 on 07/30/15 at 12:21 PM ET

Unfortunately, to fit him on the roster the Wings would need to make it a dollar-for-dollar trade, and who would Nashville want back that totals $8M?  Somehow I don’t think that Ericsson+Franzen+whatever isn’t going to be enticing for Nashville.

I can’t imagine a scenario (with any team) in which what Nashville gets back would make them as good as than they are with Weber (nevermind better).

Posted by Garth on 07/30/15 at 12:50 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Edmonton is a good suggested trade partner, because they have young forward talent Nashville could use.

Wait.  That would be young, unproven talent that hasn’t really panned out for Edmonton.

I don’t know exactly what Edmonton could/would give up to entice Nashville to make that trade.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/30/15 at 01:31 PM ET

A wrench in this plan is that Nashville has already paid him this year’s $13M signing bonus, so you can bet they’re not going to trade him now and pay him $13M to be an opponent this coming season.

Maybe publish this article again around the trade deadline or draft day next season.

True, but he also probably knew that, aside from Dustin Penner’s, every GM in recent memory has matched the offer sheet, so by signing it he was also prepared to at least possibly stay in NAS for 14 years.

Posted by Garth on 07/30/15 at 02:43 PM ET

blammo's avatar

But do you really? Despise him?

What about Bertuzzi? Or Tootoo?

What does it mean when you despise a player but you want him on your team? Or you don’t want him on your team and he ends up there anyways?

Honestly. In the ‘70’s and ‘80’s I was a huge fan of the Bruins. And then… they became something unpalatable to me, and I don’t cheer for them no more. I guess I am not a real fan.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 07/30/15 at 05:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/30/15 at 03:43 PM ET

Nawww.

Sign the contract, put in your mandatory year where you can’t be moved, and then wait and see.  There’s only a guaranteed year in NAS after the Preds opted to match.  After that year, Weber could have still said “I want out, trade me anywhere else”.

At the end of the day though, Weber was probably at the high point of his career arc right around then.  He’s old enough now that it’s going to start downhill, and you wonder why NAS would insist on keeping him.

Posted by Primis on 07/30/15 at 10:13 PM ET

You sign for for the money dont be obtuse.

Posted by brians neck on 07/30/15 at 10:56 PM ET

Sure, or he could’ve told Philly he’d sign an offer sheet for league max for just long enough to become a UFA if he really just wanted out of Nashville.

The way the contract was structured (all but $1M per year of his salary in the form of a signing bonus) meant that there was only a short window each year (between the end of the playoffs and July 1st in which it would make sense for the Predators to trade him.

Oh, and he’s entering the fourth year of his contract, so if he wants out of Nashville so badly why hasn’t he asked for a trade?

Like blammo said, he signed for the money, not to get out of Nashville or else, as you pointed out, he would be gone.

Posted by Garth on 07/30/15 at 11:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/31/15 at 12:25 AM ET

If he signed for the money, then he did not sign to stay in NAS.  You make my point for me.

Posted by Primis on 07/31/15 at 07:40 AM ET

You make my point for me.

Did you see the part in my first response where I agreed that he was willing to leave Nashville?  Did you see ANYWHERE that I said he signed to stay in Nashville?

All I said was that he didn’t sign it in order to leave, he signed it knowing very well that he could be staying in Nashville for the rest of his career.

Nice of you to ignore the FACT that he hasn’t, as you suggested he could, asked to be dealt, which obviously means that he’s not chomping at the bit to get out of Nashville.

*#$%@&.