Trade Alex Ovechkin Or Not?

from Isabelle Khurshudyan of the Washington Post,

To date, there is no indication the franchise has, is or will consider trading the player that has helped turn Verizon Center from a sparsely-attended rink into a raucous (and profitable), sold-out arena, brimming to the rafters with red-clad Capitals fans for the past 364 home games. But the question raised by Melrose and Milbury, among others, begs a closer look at the mechanics of such a maneuver. While it’s easy to talk about trading Ovechkin, dealing a franchise’s most popular player with a $9.5 million salary cap hit for the next four years is a nearly impossible transaction in practice, even if the Capitals were interested in such a move.

Washington will almost certainly not deal Ovechkin this summer, but if the organization ever did reach a point where that was a consideration, the process for carrying out such a trade starts with a blessing from the owner and ends with the question of whether the Capitals would truly benefit from dealing one of the greatest goal-scorers in league history.

“I think they should consider it, and I think it’s a really tough deal to make,” said Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean, a former general manager for the Columbus Blue Jackets. “I wouldn’t want to be the guy making the deal. It’s easy for me when I’m in the media to talk about it now, but as a GM, I wouldn’t be talking about it so easily.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin

Comments

dreamsofhope's avatar

Okay, I know this is CRAZY to suggest or even think about, so just know I mean it as a hypothetical. But what is stopping a team like Washington from say trading Ovechkin to Arizona, and then trading back for Ovi while Arizona retains some of Ovi’s salary… If they included prospects etc. in each part of the trade then the league would have a harder time vetoing it. Is there a rule against this, besides that it might not get approved?

Note, I just used AZ as an example, as I know they wouldn’t be a great fit to spend money in order to get prospects. But fill in the blank with whatever team fits best.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/25/17 at 03:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/25/17 at 03:42 PM ET

I feel like there would be some type of time limit of when you can trade someone back, similar to Waivers and having to have a player on the NHL roster for a period of time.

Posted by ilovehomers on 05/25/17 at 04:31 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

about to watch the game but that’s an interesting scenario. certain re-acquisitions are not allowed within a year, but that’s typically when the team retaining salary makes the trade to a second team. CBA article 50 probably does have a provision that touches upon your situation but i didn’t see it at a glance.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/25/17 at 08:06 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

I think Ovi to Anaheim for Perry as the centerpiece and some other moving pieces to flush it out

Posted by AzWingsFan on 05/26/17 at 12:39 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Perry would have to agree to the trade as he has a NMC. This seems like Washington would be losing this trade, but Anaheim would have to shed salary as well, so maybe they throw someone else in to make it even?

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/26/17 at 05:45 PM ET