Tortorella Would “Change The Message” In Vancouver

from Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province,

... the prospect of Tortorella landing the Canucks job continues to polarize the local hockey populace, to say nothing of curious free agents.

For all his bluster behind the bench and in front of microphones, Tortorella does have the ability to motivate, articulate and command such a level of respect that you either perform or you get pined. Brad Richards, in the playoffs, was the prime example from being demoted to the fourth line to not playing at all.

And you also have to think that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini wants to change the message and take players out of a comfort zone. He wants a butt-kicker, and if that's the case, Gillis will have to make sure somebody is wearing the white hat and patting players on the back.

That's how it works in the NHL. Tortorella had Craig Ramsay as that kind of assistant in Tampa Bay when the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

"Torts is a very good coach who wears people thin," said an NHL source. "He had no filter in New York and John needs a filter. Craig Ramsay was a great fit. There was all kinds of intensity coming from the bench in New York and no backdrop at all."

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: john+tortorella

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

I hope Torts never gets another job in the NHL.
I’m tired of his act. Not only his personality but his desire to win every game .5 to 0.

The Canucks have been fun to watch the last few years.
That’ll come to an end if Torts comes aboard. And by year 3, all of his players will have shut him out and he’ll be looking for another job again.

The Mike Keenan type coaching era has been dead for 20 years. Time to move on.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 09:04 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Why do NHL teams continue to recycle failed coaches again and again?  Tortorella has proven to be a whiner and a generally obnoxious person who manages to get the least out of a team.

Lindy Ruff?  Duh.  He shares the ability to get less out of a team than is there.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 06/21/13 at 09:24 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

He would change the message alright

“You no good mother**** son****** p*****, do that mother***** drill over again, you dumb f****!!!!!

I can’t believe Vancouver is even entertaining this possibility. The Sedin sisters would wilt within hours of being in the same room as him.

Vancouver Canucks: this generation’s version of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/21/13 at 09:26 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Couldn’t agree more DocF.
But that’s the NHL for you. Everyone’s so scared to try something different that they recycle the old over and over again.
I wish the Rangers would have tried someone different too.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 09:31 AM ET

This goes beyond a recycle, this equates to a coach swap, which I understand even less.

I do not see the Twins mixing well with Torts.

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 06/21/13 at 09:32 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Not to mention Tort’s reputation with star players.
Like Glen Healey said, “I can coach Brian Boyle! He needs to find a way to coach stars”.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 09:34 AM ET

That’s an interesting comment considering that Tortorella has won championships in every league he’s ever coached in.

Posted by godblender on 06/21/13 at 10:08 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Torts from ‘04 is a lot different than the one we see now.
I heard on XM last night that insiders said NY changed him.
He loved being in the spotlight and being his own celebrity. The kind of guy that couldn’t wait to listen to his own soundbites.

His approach and message are extinct. It’s time to close the book on coaches like Torts.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Let me guess Hank you hate Julian too for being too defensive and boring.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

As a matter of fact, I do realmk, haha.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 11:36 AM ET

Yeah not surprised. Granted I’m the type that would prefer a 2-1, 1-0 type of game, I don’t need to see 6 goals a game for it to be exciting.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 11:53 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I don’t mind a 2-1 game either.
The problem is, the majority of them are snoozefests where very little scoring chances are created and most of the game is nothing but blocked shots and both teams waiting for a PP to try anything offensive.

I’ve seen too many games where I can watch nearly 10 minutes of in-game time tick down between scoring chances.
And I don’t find blocked shots or endless cycling to be worth my time or money.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 12:16 PM ET

See that’s the difference there, to me watching two teams play great defense is one of the reasons I watch hockey to begin with. It’s like watching a chess match in a way.

It’s a team sport, having guys give up their bodies to block a shot like Campbell did that takes guts and dedication. Defense wins cups, not marathons up and down the ice like game 5 was, that kind of hockey isn’t hockey, it’s a track meet.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 12:20 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

To each their own.
But if you compare Game #4 to any games seen from 1950 to 2004, they look the same.

NHL games from 2000-2004, 2009-2013 are a completely different kind of hockey compared to how it’s looked for decades and decades.

And while I admire what Gregory C did, anyone on this planet can do that.
But what you see guys like Datsyuk, Giroux or Stamkos do is something that only a small fraction can accomplish.

I think there’s a nice balance in between today’s current style and what we saw in the mid 80’s when the Oilers were beating everyone in 11 goal shootouts.

I think the hockey we saw in the early 90’s is/was perfect in that regard.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Right and they used wood sticks in those days and guys for the most part weren’t firing 100 mph pucks. And it’s fact, defense wins cups, which is why teams like Washington never get very far.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Right and they used wood sticks in those days and guys for the most part
weren’t firing 100 mph pucks.

*cough* Al Iafrate, Al MacInnis, Bobby Hull *cough*.

How many years did it take for a composite-wielding player to break Iafrate’s record?

And it’s fact, defense wins cups, which is why
teams like Washington never get very far.

Of course. I just don’t see where things can’t be altered so that you can’t have 7 gpg while playing sound defense.
There were many decades where goals could be scored without one mistake happening on the ice. It was just a ‘good’ goal.

Offense and defense can co-exist without sacrificing one for the other.
The problem for me is that it’s swung too much in defense’s favour the past decade.

And while hockey is considered a team game, it isn’t really. It’s team+goalie.
18 NHL skaters+AHL goalie will almost always lose to 18 AHL skaters and an NHL goalie.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 01:54 PM ET

If you’re giving up 7 goals a game you’re not playing defense. Plain and simple. The idea that anyone needs 10 goals a game for it to be exciting, perhaps just go watch basketball or something where both teams score 80+ a game.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

And there it is; the same irrelevant argument that if someone wants to see 2 more goals-per-game they should switch to a sport that averages 180 points per game.
Sounds practical.

I guess my counter argument should be that if someone only wants to see 3 goals per game, they should watch soccer.

This argument is moot. I’m not changing your mind, nor you me.

For now, the NHL seems happy with low scoring games.
I just have a feeling that if there ever comes a time that the league makes changes to increase scoring, even fans like yourself will still enjoy it.

Coming out of the ‘04 lockout the rules were called as they should be and the hockey was really good with higher scoring games and end to end action.
A few buddies of mine, who preferred 2-1 games and didn’t like the rule changes suddenly proclaimed that the hockey was great.
When shown comparisons to how it looked in 2004, they were amazed that they could watch the game with all the obstruction and hooking.

I have a feeling that this could be the same case if the NHL finds a way to increase goals.
I think simply shaving the posts could accomplish that.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 02:07 PM ET

I’m fine with the removal of the hook and ride dead puck era, that isn’t the discussion here. But the way you talk about it, and have often enough in the past, you’d like to see guys essentially penalized for playing well defensively be it blocking shots or cloging the neutral zone.

Games honestly don’t need 7 goals apiece to be exciting, goals are not the only exciting part of the game by any means.

Posted by realmk on 06/21/13 at 02:35 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I agree, realmk. But I think 2-1 games can be made better if they didn’t happen most of the time.
There’s no drama in the game right now (regular season at least).
Nearly every game is decided after 2 periods. Just look at the winning percentages after 40 minutes. It’s above 90%.
Also, nearly 90% of the games feature one, or both teams scoring 2 goals or less.
With an average of 5.4 gpg, that means that most of these games aren’t even that close.
Most games are 4-1 or 5-1.
And if you’re team’s up by 2 goals after 40 minutes, might as well go home.

In the end, I have to believe that a majority of sports fans consider offense to be more exciting than defense.
If I’m wrong about that, then I would think you’d see MLS taking over in the U.S. and Canada.

I would also think the defensive purists would want there to be 2 more goals per game on average.
Because if the average game was 4-3, then people would truly appreciate a 2-1 game.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/21/13 at 02:49 PM ET