Top Selling NHL Jerseys

From Sports Business Journal, this year’s top-selling NHL jerseys:

image

To compare, here are the top sellers in early 2010.

*chart above from SBJ. Links found via DC Sports Blog.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Business of Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

hahahahaha Sid Beats Jaws once again

Posted by Evilpens on 06/21/11 at 04:23 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m really surprised Nick Lidstrom was not in that group.  Maybe that will change this year.  I just ordered my Lidstrom jersey yesterday.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/21/11 at 04:26 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

hahahahaha Sid Beats Jaws once again

Posted by Evilpens on 06/21/11 at 03:23 PM ET

No surprise that Crosby and Ovie are #1 and #2.  The NHL hypes them constantly.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/21/11 at 04:27 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

When I was in Boston in November I saw someone wearing a #17 jersey but had the name Lucic replaced with Ass Kicker. I wonder if that was counted in this list.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 04:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wonder if that was counted in this list.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John’s, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 03:27 PM ET

He should definitely be counted in Greg Wyshynski’s list of jersey fouls.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/21/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

He should definitely be counted in Greg Wyshynski’s list of jersey fouls.

True. I regret not getting a picture.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 04:29 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Good Lord Can we get past the League pushes Sid & Jaws ! Please

Posted by Evilpens on 06/21/11 at 04:33 PM ET

I guess they don’t count purchases in Canada? I was in Toronto for a few days this past winter and find myself wondering if Gilmour and Clarke wouldn’t be on this list if they did. Some of those jerseys were new, which was hilarious.

Also saw a TML Crosby jersey. Keep dreamin’ guys.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/21/11 at 04:35 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

Also saw a TML Crosby jersey. Keep dreamin’ guys.

That’s nuts. I wanted to get Neelys 8 on my winter classic jersey a few years ago but he never wore it on the ice so I felt like it would be wrong.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 04:37 PM ET

I’m thinking that perhaps this only measures jerseys bought on the American nhl.com site. I know that when Canadians try to order from the American side, they get a message saying they should visit the Canadian site, and the sometimes, they get an out-of-stock message on the Canadian site about something that is freely available on the American site.

Posted by dzuunmod on 06/21/11 at 04:54 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

- MsRedWinger

Its not too surprising, Wing’s fans have had 20 years to buy a Lidstrom jersey and any game at the Joe would confirm that about 50% of them already own a Yzerman jersey and won’t be buying a replacement any time soon.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 06/21/11 at 05:16 PM ET

Posted by ChrisinA^2 from the switch is a lie on 06/21/11 at 04:16 PM ET

Plan on getting an Yzerman red sweater this summer in addition to my Yzerman white sweater.

Hopefully, I’ll muster enough dollars by end of August to get George to TC in TC, support KK, and THEN get Lidstrom’s red and white sweaters by the end of the year.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 06/21/11 at 05:45 PM ET

If they are only counting NHL.com sales, then the count is probably wrong.  Most of the people I know get their jerseys from local stores or at the arenas.  I got my Datsyuk jersey at Detroit Athletic.

Posted by Forlorn in VA @ a friends on 06/21/11 at 05:45 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

I would say this is true for just about every market with an NHL team, making it a moot point.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/21/11 at 05:47 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I’ve written to the NHL for some clarification on the sales numbers, so we can understand exactly how they were calculated, plus get some more info on the overall sales per team.  I’ll drop a link in these comments with that information if/when they get back to me.

However, when it comes to the list of jerseys on this post, my guess is that the sales numbers encompass all the sales forums… from NHL.com, from the Canadian NHL merchandise site, and the sales in the shops and arenas around North America.  They’re probably tracking the total numbers based on orders at the distributor level, which is the only way they could reasonably estimate the sales at all venues.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/21/11 at 05:57 PM ET

I just have a hard time believing that Kris Letang is a bigger name in jersey sales than every player who plays for a Canadian team.

Posted by dzuunmod on 06/21/11 at 06:03 PM ET

I don’t know, Alannah. Lots of people basically buy blank jerseys at a shop and then have the shop staff put on the letters and numbers. There is simply no way the NHL or anyone else could measure those particular sales.

Posted by dzuunmod on 06/21/11 at 06:05 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Agreed.  But they do know the names on the jerseys of all the ones they sell pre-printed, or that are customed through them.  So I’m just assuming that the ones that are sold as blanks and are named later, are probably outfitted with names in the same ratio as those that are pre-printed.  Statistically, i wouldn’t think the names added to those blank jerseys would skew the sales estimates significantly from the jerseys the league does know the players names of.

Regardless, the list is simply stating the sales of jerseys already named.  But now you’ve got me interested in another question: I wonder how many are bought as blanks?  smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/21/11 at 06:13 PM ET

Fair enough! The only nitpick I’d make is that the blank jersey sales probably skew towards less popular players. You don’t need to buy a blank jersey and then have it customized to have Crosby’s name on it, but if you love a particular fourth-line grinder and want to pay tribute, you have no choice *but* to get a blank one.

Posted by dzuunmod on 06/21/11 at 06:16 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I was in the process of moving from my old house to a new one i bought and lost the old house to a fire Saturday night.  Reading this thread reminded me that my Lidstrom winter classic, red Z (both signed), and white Yzerman sweaters, along with my wife’s Lidstrom (and Forsberg- she’s Swedish, please forgive her) Tre Kronor sweaters were all still in my closet.  I’m so bummed out now.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/21/11 at 07:05 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

shantex..Sorry to hear about the house.!!!!  And as a swede myself with a Forsberg Tre kronor sweaters I’ll Forgive you Wife..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/21/11 at 08:30 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I recently bought 5 Crosby jerseys.  To use as rags when cleaning the toilet.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 06/21/11 at 08:31 PM ET

I’m not surprised that Kris Letang has more jerseys sold than any other player for a Canadian Team.  He received the second highest votes for the All-Star game behind Sidney Crosby and the highest amount of votes for a defenseman as a write-in candidate.

Posted by tmpens from Pittsburgh on 06/21/11 at 09:20 PM ET