Tom Wilson Will Have A Hearing Today WithThe NHL Department Of Player Safety

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tom+wilson

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

I guess Mike Sullivan’s post game comments were heard…

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/18 at 09:52 AM ET

As a result of the hit to the head by Tom Wilson, we will unfairly tilt the calls in favor of the Pens….. oh wait…

Posted by SlimChance on 05/02/18 at 10:07 AM ET

I guess Mike Sullivan’s post game comments were heard…

Or the members of DOPS have functioning eyes.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/18 at 10:30 AM ET

I don’t see how you can give a game for the ZAR hit after not even having a hearing for the Dumoulin hit.  It is reactionary at best.  Parros has been all over the place since he took over and somehow I think he’s been the worst dops director yet.  Hard to say.

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/02/18 at 11:04 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’m not going to engage in a back and forth on this, but will only say that I agree with most everything Ken Dryden has written about recently with regard to player safety in hockey, (i.e.) , concussions.

Its unfortunate that the guy received a broken jaw and concussion. I don’t believe it was necessarily a illegal check, and similar hits happen quite often with less damaging results.

With the size and speed at which the game is played now, there are going to continue to be plays like last night.

Without a fundamental change in the rules which will completely eliminate intentional open ice hits ( unintended collisions will still happen) the league is left to arbitrarily enforce punishment. The hit last night resulted in a broken jaw…you get 5 games….This hit knocked the guy down ...you get nothing.

If the “new” standard is gonna be based on result of the hit, then guys who stick out there knee and destroy another guys knee should be suspended for the duration of the injury inflicted. Obviously that’s ridiculous, but no less so than examining video frame by frame, attempting to determine intent.

The league wants it both ways…big thundering hits…and no injury from said hits. That is an impossibility. Keep checking in the game and accept that guys will be injured, or get rid of hitting completely…...or continue with the department of player safety picking and choosing which plays to review by how much attention they draw. Which is what this league will no doubt do.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/02/18 at 11:13 AM ET

Agreed. They want it both ways.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/02/18 at 11:18 AM ET

I think you just take a clue from the NFL and say if the hit is on a “defenseless player” its going to result in a suspension or fine.  But, that’s assuming the NHL wants to eliminate those hits.  I love Ken Dryden, but honestly, the players union appeals the suspensions.  If they were concerned for their own safety, they’d have their own safety review board.  They don’t.  Sullivan complaining in the presser is really just obnoxious.  Tom Wilson laughed after that hit because he knows there’s nothing the Penguins, or the league can do about it.

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/02/18 at 11:22 AM ET

Great post Dan, basically sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/02/18 at 11:25 AM ET

The league loves to rule based on the effects of the hit rather than the hit itself. Since there was an injury you can bet there will be a suspension.

Yes, he made contact with the head but not without contacting the shoulder first. I don’t think he was targeting the head but it is hard to know intent.

Posted by evileye on 05/02/18 at 11:48 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I think the Caps have let Wilson walk.  He does throw very hard hits but hasn’t got his technique figured out.  Buffy, for example, probably is the hardest hitter in the NHL, arguably but rarely gets nailed for his hits being illegal.

I like Buffy but Wilson has been a jerk most of his career. Chara, for example,  has a height issue that I would imagine stops him from throwing some very hard hits. Do you suspend a player because he is too tall??

I enjoy watching good hard hits anytime during the NHL season.  I haven’t decided on the last 2 Wilson so called hits.

This is just my opinion and I never was a Wilson fan.

I have given up trying to figure out what is a suspension and what isn’t.  This has been going on for too long.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/02/18 at 01:04 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I also have a hard time saying it was “Defenseless”.  ZAR made solid eye contact with him for a good second or two before taking the hit straight on.  He was looking dazed before it even happened.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/18 at 01:37 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 05/02/18 at 01:37 PM ET

I just mean in general.  Dumolin was defenseless.  ZAR just got blown up.

Posted by PMP5030 on 05/02/18 at 01:46 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Tom Wilson will have a hearing today for an illegal check to the head on Pittsburgh’s Zach Aston-Reese.

— NHL Player Safety

for an illegal check to the head, I guess case closed, the hearing about size of suspension?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/18 at 03:17 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

In my opinion, if the NHL was serious about addressing head injuries above and beyond others, like the knee to knee Dan mentioned,  they would make hard shell structures on shoulder and elbow pads illegal.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/02/18 at 03:23 PM ET

And everyone knows that the first line of defense is eye contact. If you can make eye contact with someone, you can definitely defend yourself.

rolleyes

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/18 at 03:38 PM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/02/18 at 03:38 PM ET

He made eye contact and instead of trying to change his path and avoid the hit, he braced for impact and transferred enough energy to put Wilson into the bench. Obviously making eye contact doesn’t determine ability to defend yourself, but ZAR was never considered defenseless in the first place, so i guess make whatever argument makes you feel like you’re on the right side of a gray issue!

Posted by MZ2215 on 05/02/18 at 04:25 PM ET