Todd McLellan Done In San Jose

SAN JOSE — The San Jose Sharks and Todd McLellan have mutually agreed to part ways.

In related moves, Assistant Coaches Jim Johnson and Jay Woodcroft, and Video Coordinator Brett Heimlich have been relieved of their duties. Associate Coach Larry Robinson moved into his full-time role of director of player development at the conclusion of the 2014-15 regular season.

“I want to thank Todd and his staff for their years of service to the San Jose Sharks organization,” said Wilson. “Sometimes a change is best for all parties involved but nothing will take away from what Todd and his staff accomplished here over the last seven seasons.”

“San Jose will always hold a special place for me and my family,” said McLellan. “I would like to thank Doug and the Sharks organization for allowing me the opportunity to coach at the National Hockey League level. While we both agree that a change is in the best interest of myself and the team, I’m proud of what we accomplished as an organization.”

McLellan, named head coach of the Sharks on June 12, 2008, leaves as the Sharks franchise leader in wins (311), games coached (540) and points percentage (.637), with an overall record of 311-163-66. In that span, the team captured three Pacific Division titles (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11) and one Presidents’ Trophy (2008-09).

During his tenure, the Sharks made seven appearances in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including two appearances in the Conference Final (2010, 2011) and played in 11 playoff rounds, with an overall record of 30-32.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: todd+mclellan

Comments

awould's avatar

McClellan won’t be out of a job too long.

Posted by awould on 04/20/15 at 12:25 PM ET

Anybody else think that if Babs leaves McLellan gets a really good long look? I know Blashill waiting in the wings, but McLellan has proven to be a winner even with a dysfunctional management chain.

Posted by weswolverine on 04/20/15 at 12:35 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by weswolverine on 04/20/15 at 12:35 PM ET

If Detroit is high on Blashill coaching the Wings ever, I think they would do it now. If they hire McClellan over promoting Blashill, he’d be right to bolt for the first good NHL job and then who knows.

That said, if they do hire McClellan over Blashill, it won’t be because they’re speculating, they know both coaches very well so there’d be a good reason I assume.

Posted by awould on 04/20/15 at 12:39 PM ET

CaliforniaPuck31's avatar

This makes me a very sad Sharks fan :(

Posted by CaliforniaPuck31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 04/20/15 at 12:42 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Wishing Todd and family all the best. Honestly though, I think Blash has a promise that if Babs leaves he’s the guy, and if Babs stays the team will let others interview him. If that’s not the case I have trouble seeing how they got him to sign last year. Three year deal for Blash gives us the security to keep him if we need him, but if another team poaches him we get that third rounder. But I think any other hiring would be an insult to Blash. Just my opinion however.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 04/20/15 at 12:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

CP31, should Wilson be removed now?  No better time to do it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/15 at 12:44 PM ET

Not a Sharts fan but Paul, I cannot believe Wilson still has a job….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/20/15 at 12:54 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

McLellan to Philly?

Posted by TreKronor on 04/20/15 at 01:00 PM ET

CaliforniaPuck31's avatar

CP31, should Wilson be removed now?  No better time to do it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/20/15 at 12:44 PM ET

See, I’ve debated this with my beer league just the other night. Wilson was the team’s first captain, do you just fire the guy, or move him to President of Hockey Operations? The owner is overseas and out of the picture. They definitely need a new voice in the org, and now is the time to do it, but do you outright fire the guy? That’s my debate. He hasn’t drafted exceptionally well, but then again, we haven’t had a good draft spot in a while now. It’s tough. I was pro-Wilson until he mouthed off about Joe Thornton this year. Seemed childish and I think he turned his players against him.

I doubt Wilson gets canned by Hasso Platner. But I agree - if there’s any time to make a change, now is the perfect time.

Posted by CaliforniaPuck31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 04/20/15 at 01:13 PM ET

awould's avatar

Seems to me that SJ has issues from top to bottom and a clean-out would be a good thing, and that includes Wilson and Thornton, as soon as his contract is up.

Posted by awould on 04/20/15 at 01:53 PM ET

If Thornton doesn’t want to move and the team wants to move him, put him in the press box. See who is more stubborn.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 04/20/15 at 02:18 PM ET