Today’s CBA Meeting

About a 1/2 hour ago...

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Is Ian trying to say the players are frustrated with Fehr, or I am totaly misreading this misleading tweet?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 10:44 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I think he is inferring the NHLPA is willing to go it alone now, like last time

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/02/12 at 10:49 AM ET

I think he is inferring the NHLPA is willing to go it alone now, like last time

Well that has to be good news for us fans then right?  I mean as far as last time this happened, wasn’t the whole thing resolved fairly quickly afterwards?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 10:52 AM ET

Paul's avatar

No Donald Fehr also means no Bettman which also means talking small stuff, not the issues that need to be addressed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/02/12 at 10:55 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Maybe that’s what Mendes is implying, what I can’t believe it, especially this early in the process.  It took it a year to break the players last time.  They players are even more peeved this time around and Fehr has done a better job of keeping them in the loop than Goodenhow ever did.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/02/12 at 10:55 AM ET

Yeah, I can’t see them giving up on Fehr at all, nevermind this early.  They specifically hired him to be the hardliner, there’s no way they give up before single regular season game has been canceled.

Posted by Garth on 10/02/12 at 10:57 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Wow…people are quick to be fickle and hope the players cave?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/02/12 at 11:22 AM ET

Wow…people are quick to be fickle and hope the players cave?

Not nearly as quick as fans are to jump on the players side simply because they are union and feel like if the players stand their ground who cares if years are wasted.  As a fan, none of the issues these guys are arguing about matter to me… what matters to me is that i get to watch some NHL games.

Why is it fickle to not give a rats ass if a player has to share a hotel room… or if a player has access to two trainers instead of one.  Or if a players total team salary represents 50% or 57% of total HRR?  Or even how HRR is defined.

IT DOES NOT MATTER TO ME!  And I have a hard time seeing why it matters to any fan other than the uber conservative or uber liberal fans who see this as another reason to voice their opinion on where they stand in an election year.

Fickle?  Scab?  .. Whatever!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 11:37 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 11:37 AM ET

The issues do matter, because no matter how big or how small, a resolution to these issues affect if and when the next season will start.  If you don’t care, don’t complain.  And saying that everybody is just seeing this solely through the prism of their personal politics is just not true.  I’m sure there are several who are, but many have picked their side because they’ve taken the time to educate themselves about the specific issues affecting the NHL.  I make no bones about the fact that I back the NHLPA 100%, just like I did the last time around, and based on your view of things, if you tried to guess my personal politics based on that statement, you’d be completely wrong.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 10/02/12 at 12:13 PM ET

what matters to me is that i get to watch some NHL games.

On another entry you said all you want is hockey.  Which is it?

Posted by Garth on 10/02/12 at 12:18 PM ET

On another entry you said all you want is hockey.  Which is it?

They are one in the same to me.  I have no other options to view games on tv as I normally do other than NHL.  As i stated in the other entry… watching an occasional KHL game on tv is not the same thing as the ability to watch all games on centerice.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 12:22 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 12:22 PM ET

Google + ~1hr of your time and I am sure you could find a way to watch some non-NHL hockey

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/02/12 at 12:27 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I see what you mean, I really (really) do. But I just can’t think of players this way, like just employees. They’re the product, they deserve to be paid, and I wouldn’t wanna watch sub-AHL players playing on NHL ice just for the sake of “it’s hockey!”.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/02/12 at 12:39 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 11:37 AM ET

After hearing what Daly said today, have you altered your stance? Even a smidge?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/02/12 at 02:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 11:37 AM ET

This attitude is why we are getting screwed for the third time since the mid-‘90s. Until the game’s economics are truly and properly fixed, you can count on losing hockey games every time a CBA expires.

Many of us that side with the players on this don’t do it because we grew up in union households or have union jobs—myself included. We side with the players because we believe the players’ solutions—while not perfect—are much closer to a good long-term framework for sustained economic health and labor peace so that we don’t go through this whole thing again in six, seven, or eight years.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/02/12 at 02:25 PM ET

er hearing what Daly said today, have you altered your stance? Even a smidge?

Rightly or wrongly, i feel like Fehr is the devil.

Rightly or wrongly, i blame him for what baseball is today.  20 straight losing seasons for my pirates while teams like the Yankees, and other large market teams essentially purchase their way into the playoffs nearly every year.  Now of course you can give me an example or two of how a small market team has made it like the Marlins or something, but the truth is that if Fehr has his way hockey would be like baseball… capless and no limits.

I see fans of large market teams, and they don’t seem to understand my frustration.  To them, if the Yankees are competing against 10 other teams a year for a championship that is a whole lot better than 30 teams.  Maybe that is the overall mentality of a large portion of large market teams, but it sucks for those of us who still follow our hometown team that just so happens to be a small market.

This last CBA was a huge step in the right direction.  It made teams accountable.  No longer could the Rangers simply pay guys like Redden and Drury huge dollar amounts without it hurting them if the decision was not a smart one.  But throughout the years, we saw that even the new CBA had faults.  Where guys like Redden could get burried in the minors with now penalty, or teams like the flyers could keep a player on the long time injury list and have it not count against the team (rathje, Laperrière, Pronger, etc.).

Fehr will get his way most likely, but i will hate him for it… and some of that hate will rub off on the players as well.  Like i said above, it might be the wrong mentalitly but it is how i feel.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 02:42 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

So Fehr’s MLB is full of haves and have-nots, and he wants a capless NHL.

That’s why he wants to mantain the salary cap and institute better revenue sharing. Ok.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 10/02/12 at 02:51 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

NHL has a salary cap and it’s here to stay.  This is not MLB, and Fehr knows it. You can hate him for your MLB sentiments, but to automatically assume he will apply the same solution to the NHL as the MLB is a bit narrow-minded.  Especially considering that, like Herm said, Fehr has yet to propose any sort of cap elimination and has, instead, proposed increased revenue sharing…something that is 180 degrees from the MLB solution.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/02/12 at 03:09 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/02/12 at 02:42 PM ET

This is a pretty far leap from saying that people jump on the players’ side for no reason other than they’re pro-union and looking to make things political.

How are the Rangers any more accountable now than they ever have been? They used to spend to the moon to miss the playoffs. The only difference now is that they’re limited on how much they can spend and they have to put their mistakes through waivers before getting rid of them.

How many small-market teams were in the running for Marian Gaborik when the Rangers snapped him up?

That huge step in the right direction to make the big teams accountable simply put a “hard” cap on their spending while also creating both an artificial (lower) cap on their smaller-market rivals AND a floor requirement that those teams couldn’t keep up with.

The last CBA didn’t make the Rangers accountable; it made them profitable… at the expense of the profitability of smaller markets. It made the players more accountable for the health of the league than it did for any of the member teams.

If Don Fehr’s endgame is to create an NHL system where the biggest clubs get to spend and spend and spend while the small markets struggle to compete, then all he had to do was accept the league’s second offer.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/02/12 at 03:35 PM ET

Rightly or wrongly, i feel like Fehr is the devil.

And that would make Bettman St Peter?

Rangers accountable; it made them EVEN MORE profitable

Fixed.

It seems to me that the NHL vs NHLPA argument really comes down to the Pirates and the Yankees in a lot of these arguments.  If the Pirates were run more like the Marlins and the Yankees more like the Maple Leafs there wouldn’t be an issue with Fehr.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/02/12 at 05:28 PM ET

PS

And for everyone lamenting the NHLPA bringing in Fehr, if it weren’t for little lockout Gary and his previous two shutdowns, the NHLPA wouldn’t have had to turn to Fehr in the first place.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/02/12 at 05:41 PM ET