To The Defense Of Columbus

from Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch,

... after I read Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Rosenbloom’s piece entitled, “It’s my theory on the Blackhawks trading Brandon Saad, and I’m sticking to it.”

Rosenbloom writes:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman consigned the young, talented, money-hunting winger to one of the NHL’s maximum security prisons.

Rosenbloom’s subject is the blockbuster trade consummated on Tuesday, when the Blackhawks swapped Saad — a 22-year-old burgeoning star — and two prospects to the Blue Jackets for Artem Anisimov, Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp and a fourth-round draft pick.

Rosenbloom writes:

Again, I could be wrong, but Bowman not only changed on the fly when Saad’s side reportedly demanded $6 million a year, but he also seemed to send a message to other players who want to take a hard stance in negotiations. You can collect your jackpot in hockey’s hinterlands.

Such moves aren’t new in the NHL — all sports, actually. Teams have tried to punish players this way for years.

It’s why Buffalo, Winnipeg and Edmonton have existed in the NHL. It’s why Oakland and Jacksonville exist in the NFL. It’s why Sacramento and Philadelphia exist in the NBA. It’s why Cleveland exists, period....

... I was unaware that Chicagoans could be so arrogant.

Rosenbloom is punching down — which can be done, if one so chooses — from the City of Broad Shoulders. I love Columbus, where I have been content to raise a family. So, punch me. It has nothing to do with anything.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brandon+saad

Comments

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I disagree with the Chicago based writer.  Stan did Brandon Saad a favor.  He sent him to a team (which competes with my Islanders) which is going places.  Last year’s team could have won 2 rounds of playoff series with that roster.  (Injuries in first half of year decimated their chances….they are an elite team in the making)

I am scared silly of Columbus.

I can’t quite come to grips with how good their defense is.  but they have assembled a forward group which is impressive - I forgot they have Gregory Cambell now.

The Bob is a terrific goalie when his game is on.

This team will make noise next season - mark my words.  And I don’t like it !  Just being honest.  They could win the Metropolitan Division next season…..

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 07/04/15 at 09:01 AM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Rosenbloom is an idiot.  When the Hawks perennially sucked, he carried the water as an apologist for Wirtz.  Now that the Hawks are good again, he’s insufferable.  Screw that guy.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/04/15 at 09:49 AM ET

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 07/04/15 at 10:49 AM ET

This was much nicer than what I was going to write about Rosenbloom.  But yeah, screw that guy.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 07/04/15 at 09:56 AM ET

nEgativezEro's avatar

Had Columbus not had every single player injured for the entire season last year (hyberbole, I know, but not far from the truth either), the Blue Jackets would have been a playoff team, easy.

As a Michigander, anything Ohio is a sworn enemy, but I’ve been to three separate games down in C-Bus (2 Wings games, and the last World Cup, USA vs Russia), and every time I’ve had a blast. Columbus may be “small”, but it’s a beautiful city. There is a ton of stuff right around the arena district, and the arena itself is really nice.

With Bobrovski in net, Saad joining Johnasen and Foligno, among others, and an underrated defense, there’s no taking this team lightly.

He makes great points about the joke that Chicago was during the “Dollar” Bill Wirtz reign. Talk about a wasteland. The Oilers had a run of being one of the best teams in hockey history. Buffalo never lifted the cup, but during the Hasek years, they were a constant threat. Winnipeg… well yeah, that’s about as good of a punishment as you can get I suppose. Frigid temperatures and a not-particularly-competitive team. Even they are turning things around.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 07/04/15 at 09:59 AM ET