Time For The Players To Start Negotiating

from Chris Stevenson at the Toronto Sun,

How about the players save their obvious hatred and criticism of Bettman and channel that energy into negotiating?

The league got criticized for putting its offer out there in the public domain, but at least the NHL has crafted something the players and others can tear down. And didn't NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr once say he'd like to see negotiations televised?

We haven't heard anything constructive from the players' side since they made an offer during two days of meetings in New York almost five weeks ago. The NHL crafted a response to that offer in about an hour, I think it was, and since then, there's hasn't been anything but static from the players.

The NHL has now made the past two offers, basically negotiating against itself.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

I want hockey back as much as the next guy, but I’m getting tired of the assertion that the players are wrong for insisting upon fair treatment.  I still don’t think the NHL is “negotiating” as long as the owners get to take their costs out of HHR before the players get their piece.  The wealth that the players and owners generate together should be shared evenly and the NHLPA isn’t wrong for taking the NHL’s newest proposal with a cool hand.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/18/12 at 11:07 AM ET

I’m curious:  Why do you think it is ‘fair’ to split revenue but not fair to split costs?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/18/12 at 11:59 AM ET

I’m curious:  Why do you think it’s ‘fair’ that the players are the ones who are risking their health and their well-being and are the ones who are bringing in every single fan who buys a ticket, buys a jersey, buys any kind of paraphernalia and are responsible for every cent that comes in yet they should have to give up half the revenue.

Maybe the players should propose that they will split the cost when the owners strap on the skates and take the hits, slashes, elbows, cross-checks, punches, pucks to the fact, etc.

I wonder how the owners would react to that.

Posted by Garth on 10/18/12 at 12:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wonder how the owners would react to that.

I bet Mike Ilitch outlasts Mario Lemieux.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/18/12 at 12:38 PM ET

I’m curious: If Edmonton builds Katz what he wants so he doesn’t have to put as much of his money at risk does that count as HRR? Less risk should mean less profit?

I’m curious: If you made a salary and your boss is making 20% profits and his rival is losing 10% a year, what would you do if your boss asked for a 10% reduction in your salary when your boss tells you it is necessary in order for his competitor to stay in business?

I’m curious: Why do some people think owning an arena is a cost and a risk, but hours of very real actual labor and career threatening injuries have no cost and risk?

I’m curious: How many people know that NFL teams, for example, are non-profit organizations? So fans pay for tickets and the tax relief they receive which doesn’t go into the net revenue but is real money.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/18/12 at 01:00 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/18/12 at 11:59 AM ET

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/18/12 at 01:00 PM ET

Oh the melodrama… Let’s not pretend like making a hockey investment in Edmonton is risky.

Let’s also not pretend like the owners and players have equal earning potential over time.  Does paying the janitor put Mike Illitch at risk of a career ending concussion (aka: losing his ability to earn a living?). The risk/benefit difference is a lot more precarious for the players and they should be compensated accordingly.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/18/12 at 04:05 PM ET

I think you missed my point.  If Katz wants the people of Edmonton to build his stadium then where is his risk? I keep hearing the owners take all the risk and therefore deserve all the profits, but it seems the owners want zero risk and maximum profits.

The rest are self explanatory.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/18/12 at 05:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/18/12 at 05:13 PM ET

It appears I misread you sir, mea culpa.  Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/18/12 at 05:22 PM ET

league got criticized for putting its offer out there in the public domain

Yes, because the League has stated that they don’t negotiate in public and has $1 million fine to back up the threat. The players are under no such obligation and they are allowed to express themselves with little fear of retribution from the NHLPA.

The NHL crafted a response to that offer in about an hour

Why do I get the feeling that if the player did this it would be a “hastily put together and not very well thought out response by the players.”

The NHL has now made the past two offers, basically negotiating against itself.

Which would make me think that Fehr is winning, but the original NHL was so ludicrous it did not merit a response.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/19/12 at 11:47 AM ET