Tim Thomas Updates His Status

via Facebook,

From the earliest age I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a hockey player. I’ve been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F’s.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year. ...

What does this portend for the future?

We’ll see….God’s will be done.

TT

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tim+thomas

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

Ok I have a question.  Since Thomas signed his contract when he was over 35, his cap hit remains regardless if he retires. However, by not officially retiring, does he not handicap the bruins because that cap hit remains, yet he is still owed a year to the bruins, so does his cap hit remain untill he serves that year?

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/04/12 at 03:43 AM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

The Bruins should be able to put him on long term IR for being batshit crazy.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 06/04/12 at 05:38 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The Bruins should be able to put him on long term IR for being batshit crazy.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 06/04/12 at 03:38 AM ET

This.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/04/12 at 10:58 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

What is a cop-out, JJ? Pointing out a flawed analogy or failing to refute the logic? I’m lost.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/05/12 at 12:57 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Saying that you’re running away from people being people is a cop-out.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 01:15 AM ET

awould's avatar

a flawed analogy

only flawed when you box it out with arbitrary rules. you originally stated that thomas was singled out because of his specific views, that it would never happen if he were a liberal. the dixie chicks directly refutes this - they spoke out from a liberal point of view and suffered widespread scorn.

music is overtly political

and this is how you cop out that the dixie chicks are somehow not the same as thomas. this argument is backwards anyways. if music is overtly political, it is expected that musicians would have political opinions making it less likely they would suffer from expressing them. thomas is just some hockey guy, so when he expresses political views in such a public way, it makes a stronger statement, much more newsworthy than someone like eddie vedder whining about abortion rights, or the nuge whining about how he can’t hunt enough or whatever.

i’m pretty sure if thomas had won the cup in 07 and refused to visit bush for political reasons, he’d have suffered plenty of scorn. and the dixie chicks would probably have written a song about it.

Posted by awould on 06/05/12 at 01:48 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I have to back up redxblack on this one.  Movies, tv shows, music, etc. are artistic media and politics will always have a role to play in that arena.  I’m not sure where politics and artistic expression are supposed to fit into sports.  The arts and sports don’t make for an apples to apples comparison.

Granted there are movies that add up to a zero sum on the political scale and are nothing but pure escapism, but did any of us really enjoy the Transformers franchise?  Conversely, I don’t know how many people tuned into tonight to hear Anze Kopitar’s thoughts on the Affordable Health Care Act.  Sports and the arts don’t compare evenly.

Bringing politics into sports is toxic.  Remember how long Rush Limbaugh took to get himself booted off of the NFL broadcast?  I’m not surprised at all for the reaction Tim Thomas has gotten and frankly I think he deserves every bit of criticism he gets.  I don’t care if his feelings are hurt or that the media and the fans would rather he keep his mouth shut.  I don’t pay $170 a year to the NHL (CenterIce) to listen to a replay of the Glenn Beck program.  I think thats a fair expectation.

The reason so many people enjoy sports is because it allows us to have an emotional stake in something that won’t matter at the end of the day, unlike a career or an education.  Escapism is the key to the popularity of sports.  Bringing politics into it can rob sports of that charm.  Thomas should shut up or find a job where his sense of expression is valued if its that important to him.  Hockey fans put up with too much crap as it is without his prima donna diarrhea of the mouth.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 02:25 AM ET

awould's avatar

The arts and sports don’t make for an apples to apples comparison.

They don’t need to. The original point was that somehow Thomas got a raw deal for the views he held, not for bringing them into his job. I put forth the Dixie Chicks as an example of liberal views that were punished for the opinions themselves. I guess if you want to create a small little box where the rules apply only in Tim Thomasland, you could claim that poor Timmy is a victim of the vast leftwing conspiracy and those Dixie Chicks just fussed over nothing because they’re musicians. But it doesn’t change how the public reacted and I doubt most of the public thought too much about genre.

And no, I’m not accusing you of holding these views or making that argument, it was some no name non-member. Probably a troll. But I do disagree with the idea that somehow the Dixie Chick’s aren’t relevant in a discussion about Tim being targeted because he’s a tea partier. Anyways, this is so far off hockey that I’m disgusted with myself for typing right now….  I’ll leave the last words to whoever else wants to wade in.

smile go wings

Posted by awould on 06/05/12 at 02:53 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

And that’s not what happened here.

Tim Thomas isn’t taking the microphone away from Pierre in the postgame and telling people to vote for Tea Party candidates. He’s not wrapping himself in an American flag during warmups.

This is people chasing news about him into a blog and complaining about how they “have” to listen to it.

No you don’t. Grow up.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 09:57 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by awould on 06/05/12 at 12:53 AM ET

I know you aren’t making accusations and I appreciate that.  I agree with your Dixie Chicks example insofar as it illustrates in an overarching way that people on the left get grilled for political speech as well as the right.  I’m a partisan in my own life to be sure, but I’d have to be blind not to admit that.  However…

On completely different note, redxblack said that the idea of lefty athletes who don’t get attacked for political speech is a straw man, and I agree (I think you do too).  For what its worth, I can’t think of any liberal athletes shooting their mouth off in the same manner as Thomas.  For the straw man attack that the troll made earlier in the thread to be true, a liberal athlete would need to be making political speech and getting away with it.  So in this sense, the Dixie Chicks don’t compare, because music and sports aren’t the same (for reasons I pointed out in my last comment).  They didn’t get away with it either.

So I have to fault JJ here for coming back with the Dixie Chicks example because its only halfway valid in this discussion.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 07:57 AM ET

Thanks for running away with my little bit of hyperbole and ignoring everything else I said.  Thats very respectful.  I find it funny that you told me to grow up right after making the second most childish comment on this thread so far.

And please stop complaining about media members doing their job, they have the same right to free speech as Tim Thomas.  Reporters report and commentators comment on the news.  Nothing seems novel about that to me.  Take you own advice and don’t listen to it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 11:53 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There’s no such thing as a “little bit” of hyperbole and that seems to be your modus. You’ve so far used that tactic to “jokingly” say that Tim Thomas is calling for some kind of a Tea Party revolution and to accuse him of turning your hockey broadcasts into the No-Spin Zone. I didn’t ignore the rest, I took what I felt was the most-telling of your statements and I used it to counter your argument.

You’ve been irresponsibly throwing ‘ad ridiculum’ around to bolster misleading points.  In short, you are campaigning and that’s getting sickening.

And please stop complaining about media members doing their job,

I’m not complaining about media members doing their job here. I’m complaining about Redxblack whining about how his caricature hockey shows has real people in it who have real emotions, feelings, and stances outside of his picture box. To use a phrase of his own, he seems to be troubled by the concept that the thing he’s using to escape “the things that actually matter” might actually have things that actually matter to them to and that sometimes those things might butt into his Saturday morning cartoons.

I’m complaining about people jumping into the comments section of a post on a hockey blog and telling people that it distresses them that we’re having a conversation that they don’t want to have and that the act of having this conversation takes away from their ability to just enjoy hockey.

That’s the entire point of the Dixie Chicks example and the argument about WHETHER OR NOT a liberal athlete doing something similar would warrant a similar response. We all seem to be in agreement that this is the case.  Let’s review:

Somebody said that if Thomas were a liberal this would be a non issue.

J.J., bezukov, and awould ALL agree that this is not a correct statement, but that there is no actual evidence to technically support our theory, but decide to argue about it anyway because why the fuch not?

It’s extra hilarious that you also said “Thomas should shut up or find a job where his sense of expression is valued if its that important to him.” because if you actually read his latest statement, there’s nothing inherently political about it. The comments have made the discussion political and people are attributing that statement to some sort of grandstanding by Thomas. He said he’s taking a break from hockey to take care of things that are important to him. He actually EDITED it to remove a link that had a little bit of politics in it.

Sure, let’s make sure to credit the guy who threw the match that ignited the fire, but nobody should be doing any of that while holding a gasoline can.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 12:55 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

There’s no such thing as a “little bit” of hyperbole

Prove that logically and forgive me for remaining skeptical on that claim.

and that seems to be your modus.

So you understand that all while taking everything I say at it’s most literal meaning… okay.  My fault for (one) relying too heavily on that device and (two) assuming that you all possess enough discernment to identify an “ad absurdum” remark.  I’ll try and avoid showing so much confidence in you all going forward.

First, I never said that.  The remark I’m sure you’re referring to was never intended to be read that way.  I was even sure to include the words “or some other wide left idea” to show that the remark was illustrative and non-committal.

Second, I already clarified on that point.

...and to accuse him of turning your hockey broadcasts into the No-Spin Zone.

I’ll grant you that the Glenn Beck on CenterIce comment was a bridge too far.  However, I happen to think that posting about god is conservative on its face.  Additionally “faith and family” have become fetishized by conservatives in this country.  Now when you consider all that with the links Thomas posted, one from the Daily Mail (an affiliate of Fox News) and The Blaze (founded by Glenn Beck), the political inference isn’t hard to draw.  Saying that Thomas’ behavior, his last remark included, has been totally non-political is a stretch to me.

If you don’t see it that way then we’ll have to disagree.

I’ll let the record do the talking here.

Irresponsibly?  Sickening?  How about melodramatic?  Now this is getting silly.

Cheers JJ.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 03:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Second, I already clarified on that point.

Yep, your clarification was “I’m going to keep spitting ridiculous hyperbole out and it’s YOUR responsibility to not take me seriously”.

Gotcha.

I happen to think that posting about god is conservative on its face.

I happen to disrespect that opinion as stereotyping.

Boy I know, after somebody did all of that legwork to politicize it, I can’t imagine how anybody would say that it wasn’t political. Tying back to the hyperbole discussion: so now you don’t mean what you say and Tim Thomas means much more than what he says?

You’re absolutely right, bezukov. This is getting silly.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 03:42 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Ridiculous.  Ridiculous!?  Give me a break man.  Give yourself a break too and lay off the Ex-Lax.

If I really thought that I wouldn’t have explained myself to Garth in the first place and later on to you.  The facts aren’t backing you up on this one.

I happen to disrespect that opinion as stereotyping.

Religion is conservative by its very nature.  Its the oldest idea humanity has about creation and morality.  With the advent of new ideas, religious adherence became a conservative behavior.  Thats not stereotyping, thats a fact.

I brought the evidence… whats the problem?  My mind is settled.

JJ, I belive that you’re a lot smarter than you are acting.  I’m satisfied that I’ve explained my viewpoint.  So if thats how you’re going to be, knock yourself out.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 04:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

JJ, I belive that you’re a lot smarter than you are acting.

TPSH says that too.  The both of you must be right. You and TPSH…

I brought the evidence… whats the problem?  My mind is settled.

Right, and so is the matter settled. From here on, we are to read significantly less than what bezukov says into what he actually says and significantly more into what Tim Thomas says than what he actually says.

I’m glad that we’ve come to this agreement.

Now maybe people can stop whining about chasing down quotes from the big meanie who makes people think thoughts and feel feelings while they’re just trying to run away from being an adult.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 04:37 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

TPSH says that too.  The both of you must be right. You and TPSH…

Have I ever given you any indication that if I had the power I would delete or alter your comments?  Have I not admitted to being wrong in the past, in a discussion I had with you?  Thanks for making the level of respect we share very clear.

I resent the comparison you’ve made.  Not is that patently unfair, its bordering on personal.  Congratulations on being the one who resorted to insults.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Keep on talking… you’ve been such an exemplar of adult behavior all day.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 05:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Congratulations on being the one who resorted to insults.

Says the guy who previously said:

Give yourself a break too and lay off the Ex-Lax.
JJ, I belive that you’re a lot smarter than you are acting.

All I did was say that I have seen those words written about me before. Should I have said I was being hyperbolic so you wouldn’t read so much into it?

Are you also the arbiter of what is and isn’t insulting to say about another person?

Or are we done here, since this conversation has now strayed completely from the topic and is now just two people trying to argue about who has been more injured than the other.  I wouldn’t want anybody who’s trying to escape what’s really important in life to be bothered by us monkeys chittering at one another.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 06:02 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think we are done JJ.  You’re a great ambassador for the site.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/05/12 at 06:09 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This thread is an example of why politics do not belong in the sport arena.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/05/12 at 07:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yes, because two people fighting over Don Cherry is that much more calming.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/12 at 07:43 PM ET

awould's avatar

Yes, because two people fighting over Don Cherry is that much more calming.

Don Cherry is a national treasure.
Don Cherry is a national treasure?

Go.

Posted by awould on 06/05/12 at 08:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Fighting over Don Cherry is a distraction from real problems. Politics is not entertainment. Sports are non-partisan entertainment.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/06/12 at 01:04 PM ET

awould's avatar

Sports are non-partisan entertainment.

Except in summertime. Then it’s just baseball. And there is nothing entertaining about that.

Posted by awould on 06/06/12 at 01:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What real problems do Tim Thomas’ politics bring to your doorstep that Don Cherry’s xenophobia do not?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/06/12 at 02:39 PM ET