Tim Thomas Does Not Attend White House Ceremony

via Fluto Shinzawa of the Bruins Blog at the Boston Globe,

Tim Thomas, one of two Americans on the roster, chose not to attend today’s ceremony at the White House, according to GM Peter Chiarelli.

“We’re like a family. We have our issues,” Chiarelli answered when asked if Thomas’s decision overshadowed the visit. “You deal with them, move on, and try and support everyone. It may or may not. If it does, I hope it doesn’t. The guys seemed to enjoy it. I enjoyed it.”

All other players were in attendance. Chiarelli said attendance today was not mandatory. Steven Kampfer is the other American player.

“I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don’t, I can suspend him,” Chiarelli said. “I’m not suspending Tim. Whatever his position is, it isn’t reflective of the Boston Bruins nor my own. But I’m not suspending him.”

added 6:15pm, Tim Thomas releases a statement via Facebook, read it below…

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tim+thomas

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4

bezukov's avatar

Anyway Bezukov, I am a fan of your posts and appreciate your attempt to keep this civil.  I may be insulting, but I hope it is not mindlessly insulting.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 08:48 PM ET

Hey tux, no offense or insult taken my man.  I want to respond to your last big comment, but its gonna wait for intermission.  Allow me too to return the compliment on your posts, I enjoy the repartee.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 10:54 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It’s cowardly to post without registering.

RealMK, you’re nothing but an echo chamber. We’ve heard it all before from the same “news” media outlets you’re getting it from. Paul asked that this not be about politics, but about sport. Please knock it off or I’ll feel compelled to feed the troll and show the idiocy of your statements.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/23/12 at 10:58 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Okay me too.  I am sorry Paul.  I am done.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/23/12 at 10:59 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

How do you message privately?
I am a new member.  And pretty bad with computers.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/23/12 at 11:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Okay me too.  I am sorry Paul.  I am done.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 08:59 PM ET

I think its alright to talk about politics so long as we are talking about it as it relates to Tim Thomas.  Paul, please tell me if I’m wrong on that.

Anyway, RealMK only seems interested in talking about Obama, and I’m not going to play that game with him on an open forum.

Whoa there man….  just the same as the rest.)

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 08:37 PM ET

Haha, when I saw the breadth of your post I figured I was going to have a large response.  Now that have a better understanding of your point to sean o sean, it seems you and I have no point of dispute.

Well said mon frer!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 11:19 PM ET

Paul's avatar

It’s all OK bezukov, just don’t want it to turn into a political post.

Continue on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/23/12 at 11:20 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Oh, Americans (just kidding….my mom’s American).  It’s “frere”.
Fist tap.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/23/12 at 11:21 PM ET

Paul's avatar

How do you message privately?
I am a new member.  And pretty bad with computers.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 09:03 PM ET

Go to your Profile, then private message.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/23/12 at 11:22 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

How do you message privately?
I am a new member.  And pretty bad with computers.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/23/12 at 09:03 PM ET

Well, its seems that the email function doesn’t work (at least for regular members anyway).  No matter, if someone wants to contact me privately, I’m sure it can be made to happen.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 11:22 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Man, just when I thought KK couldn’t get any cooler.  Thanks a lot.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/23/12 at 11:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Go to your Profile, then private message.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/23/12 at 09:22 PM ET

Beggar that I am, I am ever poorer in thanks.

I appreciate the help Paul.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 11:28 PM ET

You know you a redneck when…

PS Has anyone ever seen Timmy Thomas and Joe the Plumber in the same room?  I’m not saying anything - I’m just asking questions that need to be asked.

Posted by Jerry on 01/24/12 at 01:30 AM ET