Thoughts And Prayers Go Out To Mike Bossy

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Mike Bossy was a scoring machine, it hurts to see this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/19/21 at 03:46 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

This news really sucks!

4 consecutive Stanley Cups. 9 consecutive 50 plus goal seasons. A pure goal scorer, and, a true champion!

All good thoughts for you Boss!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/19/21 at 03:54 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Also 50 goals in 50 games. At the time, equaling Rocket Richard’s achievement.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/19/21 at 04:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from NHL.com,

Mike Bossy has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is stepping away from his role as a hockey analyst with TVA Sports.

The 64-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer announced his illness Tuesday in an open letter in French on TVA Sports’ website.

“For more than six years, through TVA Sports, you have allowed me to enter your living rooms,” Bossy wrote. “I’ve had the privilege of telling you about the game as I understand it, and as I know it. … I wanted to share my experiences with you and you have always been attentive to my words. Thank you.

“Today it is with sadness that I must retire from your screens for a mandatory break. A necessary break during which I will have to receive treatment for lung cancer.

“I can tell you that I intend to fight with the determination and the enthusiasm that you have seen me display on the ice and in my game. That same determination that helped me achieve my dreams and my goals, the one that propelled me to the top of my sport when I was still playing.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/19/21 at 05:22 PM ET

try and imagine the courage it took in those days to stand up against fighting in the NHL.

always respected and admired his humility.

as an aside, jimmy d. was on the islander staff that finally settled on bossy – a warm-up before he arrived in Detroit and picked SY at #4 in 1983.

Posted by rickytarr on 10/19/21 at 06:28 PM ET

Chet's avatar

Doubt he was even a smoker. Happened to my dad.

Just terrible luck. Best to him and his family. Hope he gets as much time as possible.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/20/21 at 03:36 AM ET