Thornton Ready To Lead

from Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News,

Whether he’s in screaming pain for 25 shifts or numbed from head to skate toe, Joe Thornton will be heard from in Game 5 Tuesday, somehow and someway.

He is hurt, but Thornton will play in Vancouver with the Sharks down 3-1 and facing elimination, because he says he’ll play.

“When Joe Thornton comes to you and tells you he’s playing,” coach Todd McLellan said Monday, “he’s playing.”

And there’s more to it than that.

Though Thornton gave added credibility to his tenure as Sharks captain in several recent playoff performances, this new moment is loaded with even greater potential symbolism.

The Sharks’ season might be flickering out, but Thornton’s reign as the team’s unquestioned leader could be taking off from here.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: joe+thornton

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It would be so much easier to get behind the story of a long-time veteran leader who has plenty of talent but has never won it all taking the reigns of leadership and fighting through pain and adversity whether in victory or defeat if Joe Thornton weren’t a diving chicken-shit.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/24/11 at 12:53 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I am sick of the Sharks.  I have no love for Vancouver, but I’d like them to end this Sharks nonsense tonight.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/24/11 at 01:05 PM ET

@Ajax19: then why are you wasting your own time reading the articles and commenting on them?

Posted by def from SF on 05/24/11 at 01:24 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

@def from SF: Because I am bored and The People want to know what I’m thinking.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/24/11 at 01:27 PM ET

Puck's avatar

@def from SF: Because I am bored and The People want to know what I’m thinking.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/24/11 at 11:27 AM ET

I’m glad I know now. It will make my game watching that much more enjoyable tonight knowing that Ajax is laughing his ass off at the fail that Jumbo Joe brings to the ice wink

Looks like Boston/Vancouver finals. I hope it goes 7 games.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 05/24/11 at 01:37 PM ET

awould's avatar

Here is how a team wins a Stanley Cup behind a real leader.

Here is why San Jose will never win behind their “leader”.

Thornton’s got no heart and everyone knows it. All the Sharks fans are hoping this year is different but in couple of days, maybe tonight, they’ll go back to complaining (righteously) about how their team let them down again and Thornton will be called out again, just like every summer.

Posted by awould on 05/24/11 at 01:47 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I’m sure we’ll get another Oscar worthy….er….Conn Smyth worthy performance from Jumbo tonight.  If it’s on VS I’m sure they’ll be over his dich like they were last time I watched a game there.  Crimeny…Madden would be proud.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/24/11 at 01:52 PM ET