This Year People Will Learn To Pronounce Filppula

from Rory Boylen of The Hockey News, .

..a few players I’m expecting to break out from the pack and onto the scene in 2010-11.

Valtteri Filppula, Detroit

The man with the oft-misspelled name, Filppula took on a bigger role with the Red Wings last year after Jiri Hudler bolted for the Kontinental League. The 26-year-old Finn was bothered by a wrist injury through November and December, however, which kept him from having a better season.

more plus other players mentioned…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: valtteri+filppula

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

The main play by play guy on HNIC ( not Bob Cole ) drives me crazy with his inability to properly pronounce Val’s name. For gosh sakes they give the media people pronunciation guides with phonetic spelling of all the players names.  shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/17/10 at 04:30 PM ET

What drives me more crazy than that is Filppula’s COACH MIKE BABCOCK‘s inability to properly pronounce Val’s name.

Posted by Garth on 08/17/10 at 04:38 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

You mean it’s not Feeelpoola? But I completely understand misspelling it. Couldn’t they at least listen to the local guys before hand? At least they take it as courtesy to ask each player how to pronounce the name.

But I’d have to agree. Flip is due for a good year, especially if Pav and Z stick on the same line.

Dunno about Staal. Damn good player, but as long as he’s stuck behind Sid and Malkin at center and unable to adapt to their wing, I’m not sure how much better he’ll do points wise.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/17/10 at 04:51 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The CBC guy is Jim Hughson.  I think he is just trying to make his name sound more European.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/17/10 at 04:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Leave Bob Cole alone.  I’m not sure he even knows what year it is anymore.  Asking him to then pronounce names correctly is just asking too much.

The one that always got me was the Washington announcers always pronouncing Joey Kocur’s name as KOH-kerr.  To boot, the MSG announcers then always called him “KOH-shurr” even though he actually played for the Rangers for a bit and was a well-established player in the league.

Sorry Blues fans, but don’t expect much more out of Oshie.  He’s a good little guy and a sparkplug and valuable, but I don’t see him taking any ‘next step” because I don’t think he has it in him.

Posted by Primis on 08/17/10 at 04:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I liked that Pierre McGuire once pronounced it like he’s from Transylvania and Doc Emrick picked on him for it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/17/10 at 05:32 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

It’s been rumored that Staal will either center or play wing on the 2nd pairing with Malkin this year.  If that sticks, 60 points shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 08/17/10 at 05:49 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Like Paul said, you can add Jim Hughson to the list.

It is a Canadian thing, and aboot the best way to keep reminding everyone they are Canadian.

The same way Cherry keeps butchering names of players that have 15 yrs in the league, if they are not Canadian.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/17/10 at 06:23 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Thanks for the assist Paul, it was Jim Hughson I was thinking of.

P.S.

Paul,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the gift certificate that I was lucky enough to win during the Finals contest you had. I just used it to pick up 3 very cool vintage ( North Stars, Winnipeg Jets, and Montreal Canadian) shirts.

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/17/10 at 06:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Glad you could put the GC to good use DRD and be nice to Jim, he is s frequent KK reader.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/17/10 at 06:44 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Wings fans are used to everyone butchering the names that roll off of our tongues with ease.

Ever since we learned the names of the Russian Five, we’re adept at the foreign names,

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 08/17/10 at 06:58 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

be nice to Jim, he is s frequent KK reader.

Posted by Paul

Hi Jim!  I’m a fan man; think you do a great job.

I’ve been waiting for Fil to really break out and he showed glimpses of it in the 2009 playoffs. He doesn’t show up on the scoresheet as often as he impacts the game though. Even if he never gets the recognition, he’ll be a crucial part of the Wings for years to come.

Posted by Osrt on 08/17/10 at 07:23 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The key to Fil’s success comes directly from the mouth of Dangle-Dangle when he was talking about himself: “I need more shoot.”

Babs has been riding Fil for two years to shoot the puck more. And with Bert and Mule as his wingers, he’ll have the perfect opportunity to do that this year. If he doesn’t, I think he’ll be spending the final two years of his contract playing someplace else.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/17/10 at 07:37 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Proper pronunciation of Val Filppula: (Phil-poo-laa)

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/17/10 at 07:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Proper pronunciation of Val Filppula: (Phil-poo-laa)

So I guess the “Val” is silent?  I keed.  cheese