Thinking Out Loud

Pierre LeBrun mentioned on Saturday night the Toronto Maple Leafs received an offer for Kris Versteeg and it appears it made some sense to them.

So the Leafs put the word out, seeing if they could get a better offer than the one that was made.

Now let’s look at this from as a Detroit/Toronto scenerio.  Leafs need help at center, Wings could using some scoring on the wing.

How does Valtteri Filppula for Kris Versteeg sound?

Filppula is 26 years old, makes $3M per year and is signed through the 2012-13 season while Versteeg is 24, earns just over $3M and is signed through the 2011-12 season

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kris+versteeg, valtteri+filppula

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

How does Valtteri Filppula for Kris Versteeg sound?

Like a joke.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/03/11 at 08:27 PM ET

christpuncher's avatar

Val doesn’t fit the Burke mould and is our best forward behind Pav and Z.  Great two way defensive center with “O” upside.  Wings tend to keep “they’re own” too.  I like Kris, but nothing Homer/Bert/Mule can’t do. It’d be a steal for Toronto in my eyes.

Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 01/03/11 at 08:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It wouldn’t be a horrible trade, but I wouldn’t like it.  Versteeg is a punk.  The Wings might be able to use a punk to replace the punkiness that Samuelsson took with him to Toronto, but Flip is cheaper, signed for longer, and more versatile than Versteeg.

If the Wings wanted to move a guy from center to the wing, they can move Filppula as soon as Datsyuk comes back.  He’s done well in his time on the edge.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/03/11 at 08:36 PM ET

Yeah, I don’t imagine any Wings fans will like this deal, and we shouldn’t,

It’s not like Fil couldn’t, you know, just play on the wing instead if there is such a surfeit of center.  Versteeg’s okay, but is he really a better winger than Fil would be/is?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/03/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Actually, I think that, from a hockey perspective, the trade is pretty fair—not so much a good or bad move as it is a lateral one. But I tend to favor sticking with Filppula, for the following reasons:

1) Established chemistry with existing players
2) Personality probably fits the Wings’ dressing room better than Versteeg
3) Flip is a natural center and Versteeg is a natural winger, but Flip also makes a damn fine top-six winger too, especially when Pascha and Sascha are split up. Versteeg is noticeably less effective when he has to switch to center.
3a) You can never have too much depth down the middle. With Datsyuk and Modano already out, we can’t really afford to trade one of our two remaining healthy scoring centers.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 01/03/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

My daughter would go into hiding for years.

That in itself is enough reason for this trade not to go through.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/03/11 at 09:10 PM ET

Fil is a better defensive forward than Versteeg.  No go.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/03/11 at 09:11 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Val doesn’t fit the Burke mould and is our best forward behind Pav and Z.
Posted by christpuncher from Detroit, MI on 01/03/11 at 05:27 PM ET

I must politely disagree with this statement.  If you think Filppula is better than Franzen…then I don’t know.  Franzen is a better skater/stickhandler/passer/shooter/hitter than Filppula.  And I’ve never seen a sharp breeze knock Franzen off the puck like I have Filppula…

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 01/03/11 at 09:12 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

If I were a GM, and I was to rank the forwards from most necessary to least, flips would be right at number three (following datsyuk and zetters). The center spot is important and when datsyuk gets back we can put zetters on the wing again. Our scoring at wing is fine in the cap world and I really think the organization believes in filppula and is just waiting for him to show some gut and take the puck to the net. There’s a lot of hope in flips and you can see it whenever babcock talks about him; how he’s like datsyuk, and that his only problem is that he doesn’t shoot enough. If he finds his scoring touch and gets a little more aggressive, flips is an integral piece for a long time. Versteeg just doesn’t match the potential, and flips is set up to be worth way more than 3 mil

Posted by EDJ on 01/03/11 at 09:17 PM ET

Jak-O's avatar

I don’t like it at all…but that’s just my opinion.

Posted by Jak-O on 01/03/11 at 09:38 PM ET

Versteeg’s a punk douche.  Even if he was an upgrade over Flip (which I absolutely don’t think he is), I wouldn’t want him.

And who’s our second line centre if we trade Flip?

Posted by Garth on 01/03/11 at 09:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

And who’s our second line centre if we trade Flip?

Posted by Garth on 01/03/11 at 06:58 PM ET

Time to split up Z and Datsyuk.  If need be, then have the Mule center Bert and Versteeg with Z on the Dats, Homer line.

Then when Cleary returns, a few more options exist.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/11 at 10:01 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I don’t like Franzen at center because sometimes his d isn’t tight.

Posted by EDJ on 01/03/11 at 10:03 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/03/11 at 07:01 PM ET

If the Wings are going to be making any moves, I would think one of the objectives would be to boost secondary scoring specifically in order to NOT split up Z and Datsyuk.

Posted by Garth on 01/03/11 at 10:22 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Character would be my issue. The 2009 route in game 5 in Chicago, when Hawks were cruisin’ for cheap shots and fights. Versteeg sought out Hudler, the smallest guy on the ice, to make his tough guy statement. He’s a creep who doesn’t play D.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/03/11 at 10:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Just wanted to chime in on this. NO!

If Kenny Holland wanted Versteeg at all, he’d have brought him here. We already unloaded that gREAT defenseman on Toronto, we don’t want them to return the favor.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/03/11 at 10:55 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

Then when Cleary returns, a few more options exist.

Franzen, Cleary, Hudler and even Abdelkader are not NHL centers.  Or at the very least they’re insanely less effective as NHL centers.

Versteeg for Filppula is a bad deal for the Wings because Versteeg is a limited player.  Filppula can play 20 mins a night in every situation while taking faceoffs etc…

Posted by Heaton on 01/03/11 at 11:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Chief’s not going to be happy about this Paul….

Number one reason we can’t move him is because his brother was doin’ alright inthe minors and we HAVE to see them play at LEAST a couple times together while they’re both still with detroit.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/03/11 at 11:38 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Has this site been hacked..?
Where is the real Paul..?
It is a terrible idea, for all the reasons already listed
and
whoever did this is laughing their ass off.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 01/04/11 at 12:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I think Paul would be laughing as well. It’s a ridiculous proposal.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/04/11 at 12:50 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

“It’s a JUMP… to CONCLUSIONS…”

“This is terrible, this idea”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/04/11 at 02:00 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by scotts0 from New York

Fil is a much much better skater (Babbles thinks he’s the best) with some of the best hockey sense on the team. I’d say he’s a better stick handler than Franzen too, but Mule pulls out some crazy dangle occasionally.

Anyway, yea, no. Versteeg is an able player but Fil is in the long term plan for Detroit as he should be.

Posted by Osrt on 01/04/11 at 03:19 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

I don’t like Versteeg for Fil, but I wouldn’t be crushed if Fil got traded.  He’s good defensively, yes, but he’s been with the team a while now, and his offense just isn’t up to par for a 2nd line center.  He shows signs of it, but he just can’t do it consistently.  Plus, as was mentioned above, he just isn’t very strong on the puck, half the time he just falls down w/o even being touched.  I like the guy, but he’s pretty far down my list of most important Wings.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 01/04/11 at 03:27 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Absolutely not.

I guess some people have quickly forgotten the defensive job Filppula did in ‘08, or for that matter, just the defensive quality he provides night in, night out. He’s essentially as good as Datsyuk and Zetterberg in this regard, but doesn’t get the pub because he doesn’t have Datsyuk’s takeaways and Zetterberg’s offense.

Versteeg would be better with the Wings than he is with Toronto, for obvious reasons, but he’s far worse defensively than Filppula, and if you look at his offensive numbers, his high-water mark the last few seasons playing with talent in Chicago isn’t much different than Filppula, especially when you take injuries into account.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/04/11 at 11:09 AM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

I was going to comment on this last night, and while it definitely isn’t the worst trade idea I’ve ever heard, I’m not all that comfortable with it. I just think Fil has too much of an upside.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 01/04/11 at 12:30 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’ll only accept that trade if they throw in a pair of playoff tickets for a game at Air Canada Centre.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/04/11 at 12:52 PM ET