These Kings Are Making Their Own Mark

from Lisa Dillman of the LA Times,

Finally, the names Wayne Gretzky, Luc Robitaille and Kelly Hrudey are on the verge of having some long-awaited company, some fresh names in the Kings’ playoff ledger.

How about Mike Richards, Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick, to name a few?

The Kings are one game away from going somewhere they have been only one other time in franchise history, going past the second round of the playoffs. The Kings pulled to the brink of the Western Conference finals with a 4-2 victory over the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night at Staples Center, taking a 3-0 series lead.

The Kings used a wide variety of weapons to inch closer that place they visited 19 years ago on their way to the Stanley Cup finals when they eventually lost to Montreal in 1993.

“I think the one thing that stands out to me in these playoffs so far is we’ve had different guys step up at different times,” Brown said. “I think Quick maybe had two really difficult saves in the third and they were big saves for us, but we got a big game out of Richards and a big game out of [Drew] Doughty.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

Man, this is how bad it is this year in the West: it’s basically uncharted territory for all 4 remaining teams.  So we’re going to have to read a lot of drivel about how much it “means” to “advance”, or to ” get there” and schlock like that.

Looks like this is the year the East (doesn’t even matter which team it is) finally will win in less than 7 games.  All these West teams are going to be too busy patting themselves on the back for advancing…

Posted by Primis on 05/04/12 at 10:01 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Given who is left in contention, I sometimes forget the hockey season is still in play.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/04/12 at 10:52 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I wrote this a couple of times early in the first round, Dustin Brown is making his mark as an outstanding player and leader.  He will be recognized as Superstar staus soon.  He can score, assist, plays defense, is a primary penalty killer with a lethal short handed threat, and hits people. Hard.

He is one thing to watch among all the different faces in the second round.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/04/12 at 11:01 AM ET

You have to be blind and deaf to think this years playoffs are anything but amazing..even with our beloved team getting ousted…and rightly so in the first round. You may not like the teams, but it is a thing of beauty right now.

Posted by jmiller on 05/04/12 at 12:00 PM ET

I don’t know what some of you are watching but the Kings look great right now. Maybe that’s it you aren’t watching because you aren’t really a hockey fan.

Posted by timbits on 05/04/12 at 12:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’d love to see at least one guy like Brown on next year’s Wings team. For a guy who hits everyone who moves, he plays the game the right way. And he draws penalties like a dead raccoon draws flies. And I can tell you for a fact that that’s a lot of flies because I just had a “ripe” raccoon carcass removed from my chimney yesterday.  confused

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/04/12 at 12:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by timbits on 05/04/12 at 10:15 AM ET

I’m watching West teams with no clue what they’re doing flailing blindly at one another basically, thrilled to just be there.

Watching the East series’ is, by comparison, much more like playoff hockey.  And that’s sad because WAS and NJ are two of the involved teams…

Posted by Primis on 05/04/12 at 12:32 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Thank you jmiller and timbits!  It’s unbelievable how sour people get because the “marquee” teams are missing.  Their whining is causing them to miss some great hockey!

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/04/12 at 01:03 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Yeah whatever, Primis.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/04/12 at 01:04 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

I don’t know what some of you are watching but the Kings look great right now.

Exactly! The Kings are playing perfect playoff hockey right now. Great forechecking, awesome PK, clutch goaltending and everyone is contributing in the right ways. This team will be a tough out and I believe if they keep playing like this then they will win it all this year. Hoping for a Flyers vs Kings final. Should be especially interesting with Carter, Richards and Gagne (although he is injured and won’t be back this season) going against their former team.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 05/04/12 at 01:12 PM ET

There seems to be a big difference between hockey fans and supporters of local teams. I’ve watched at least one game a night and my team didn’t even make the playoffs.  I’m glad some of the marquee teams are out and it is a new experience for some of the teams. As for the marquee teams, as we all know, many of them were just horrid or near bankruptcy not too long ago, so I don’t know what makes any team more special? We know who will be back at it again next season, so why not enjoy the surprises this playoff season is bringing?

I watch every single game my team plays, but when they are playing I rarely pay attention to what the other team is doing. Watching a lot fo these “neutral” games really allows me to see some of the talent out their without the NHL marketing hype focused on just one or two guys. Each game, depending on a bad call, a reckless play, or an outstanding penalty kill I can pick and choose who I prefer to win.  It even varies from night to night, shif to shift, which team I want to win because I can concentrate on just watching good hockey and seeing how the story lines will play out.

It must suck to be so bitter that you can’t enjoy the sport once your team is eliminated and miss out on a lot of great hockey. This line of thinking makes me think that if your team weren’t succesful you wouldn’t really care about hockey at all and would just as soon be watching the WNBA to find a winner.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/04/12 at 01:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/04/12 at 11:03 AM ET
Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/04/12 at 11:04 AM ET

Just consider the source of some of the remarks, guys.

It’s always tough at first forcing myself to watch other teams if Detroit is eliminated, but a little easier this year as I had low expectations, that they unfortunately met.

For those able to get over the bitterness and bias, there are some great stories and great play ongoing.  LA was on the ropes many points out of #8 position with 20 games to go, but found their form and blew away Dallas choking away another season down the stretch.  LA is playing tight, fast and hard, all 200 feet.  It’s no fluke they’ve won 7 playoff games against the best of the West.

For a fan of hockey there are great series ongoing, as in every playoff season.  Trying to blow them off and discredit them is shallow and false.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/04/12 at 01:27 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Hockey1919, I agree, it’s great to see the surprises in the playoffs. One of the best things about the NHL playoffs is that, once a team gets in, truly, anything can happen! That makes it even more exciting.

RWBill, I agree completely.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/04/12 at 01:33 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Lotsa innuendos there RWBill… but you are spot on man.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/04/12 at 01:35 PM ET

Well, the main source of negativity on this thread would be able to find stuff to bitch about if the Wings swept all four rounds without giving up a single goal.

Posted by Garth on 05/04/12 at 02:00 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Announcermanpersonguypig said it last night, Kings have been in playoff mode for the last 5 weeks.”  They are tightly running machine right now.  I have a good friend that is a die hard Kings fan and he is happier than a bird with a french fry.  Good on em!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 05/04/12 at 02:24 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Is the main difference in the Bitters/Kings series more than that the Kings are playing all in and the fact that the Kings forwards are just too damned big for the StL to handle?  It seems any time they want they can just converge to the net and StL can’t stop them.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/04/12 at 02:28 PM ET

I agree the forecheck is unbeatable. It worked with Canucks, but not to the degree it is with STL. St. Louis doesn’t have the offensive capability to handle the pressure. Also, Brown has been unbelievable, he didn’t play like this during the regular season. Richards has stepped up and Kopitar has been very good.

Posted by timbits on 05/04/12 at 02:42 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

It’s got to be more then mere size.  Someone will probably figure it out on tape and it will keep Hitchcock up nights all summer long.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/04/12 at 02:54 PM ET

there is nothing better than Red Wing tools making excuses for the success of other teams, especially since their own aging, slow, depth-lacking team was humiliated by one of those teams. Get used to it non-Red Wing fans: this is how “many” of them roll: years of success and dominance has bred a sense of entitlement and inability to acknowledge that their team is beatable; that Lidstrom’s best days are behind him; that they lack a toughness and durability that teams need today to be successful; that their defense is slow, aging, and repeatedly played out of position and forced their EXCELLENT, but often injured goalie to say their asses on numerous nights. 23 game home win streak, you say? how many of those games were against the Blue Jackets and other bottom dwellers? I’ll be the first to admit that Detroit has some of the best players in the world, the best skating, the most dynamic, but it is for this very reason that the rest of the hockey world detests Red Wing fan. Then again, they do live in Detroit and that alone would cause any human to cling to anything positive - even if it is a dominance that now appears to be fading.

Posted by scooter from Sasakatoon on 05/04/12 at 03:40 PM ET

calquake's avatar

He is one thing to watch among all the different faces in the second round.

Posted by RWBill from No hockey in April blows. on 05/04/12 at 09:01 AM ET

Definitely an early Conn Smythe candidate.  I’ve always liked his style of play.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/12 at 03:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by scooter from Sasakatoon on 05/04/12 at 01:40 PM ET

Typical troll… can’t resist taking a shot at the city… which has NOTHING to do with hockey or fandom.  I’m now stupider for having read such drivel.

Posted by calquake on 05/04/12 at 03:47 PM ET

I guess it depends on what you count as “bottom dwellers”.  What do you say, teams with 80 points or less?  If that’s the case, then the answer is five.  Five of the 23 games were against bottom dwellers.  So that’s still 18 home victories in a row against non-“bottom dwelling” teams.  I’m sure that helps prove your point, right?

Posted by Garth on 05/04/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Not sure it was my post that made you stupid(er) Cal - but at least you are being consistent and blaming others for your limitations and failures. Enjoy the playoffs! Oh wait ... sorry! Enjoy the links and maybe the Tigers.

Posted by scotter from Sasakatoon on 05/04/12 at 04:14 PM ET

Good to see that this blog actually has some hockey fans on it. I was wondering if anyone comes here once the Wings are eliminated.

This has been great month of hockey, reminds me why I hardly watch regular season games.

Posted by blammo on 05/04/12 at 04:17 PM ET

I agree this was trolling. Just a thought, as a non-Wings fan I don’t come on this site to bait their fans. I enjoy the hockey talk by folks here who generally have a good understanding of the game and like to engage in fairly intelligent discussions. I know enough not to go on the A2Y site as I probably won’t like much of what I see there. But, also, I am not going to condemn all Wings fans as arrogant and I certainly wouldn’t trash the city of Detroit. Remember whose house you are in! This is Paul’s blog and out of respect I am not going to trash Detroit. Scooter should learn the same manners when he posts here.

Posted by timbits on 05/04/12 at 04:23 PM ET

To think Dustin Brown was supposed to be trade bait to get more offense. Some best deals are the ones you don’t make.

As for SasAkatoon, if you can’t even spell where you are from, you may not want to draw too much attention to yourself. I’m not a Wings fan, but I don’t detest them either, I may be envious that they have built a solid organization, but I know it can’t last forever either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/04/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Schmucks fans are nervous (at least in my conversations with both the Kings and Schmucks fans here in Vegas); their status as the only SoCal Cup winner is severely threatened by a really well-disciplined team in the Kings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/04/12 at 04:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by scotter from Sasakatoon on 05/04/12 at 02:14 PM ET

Once a richard… always a richard.

Posted by timbits on 05/04/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Tanks… you’re not so bad yourself. smile

Posted by calquake on 05/04/12 at 04:52 PM ET