The Voice Of The Canucks?

from Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe and Mail,

“Take that, Ben Eager,” CBC play-by-play announcer Jim Hughson exclaimed as the San Jose forward’s penalties sabotaged the Sharks in Game 2 of the NHL Western Conference final against Vancouver.

Hughson was assuming the voice of Canucks retribution on the feisty Eager, a nice stylistic flourish. But it’s led some outside Vancouver’s orbit to question whether Hughson has been a little too in-sync with the feelings of the Canucks and their fans.

After all, goes the thinking, if Bob Cole and Don Cherry can be pilloried outside Toronto for a perceived bias toward the Maple Leafs (Cherry boasts of his blue-and-white fandom), should the same standard not be applied to the No. 1 play-by-play voice of Hockey Night in Canada?

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jim+hughson

Comments

Yes. It’s a national broadcast and I want to hear the game called in an exciting, non-partisan manner. And if he is going to be in favor of one team then he should make it clear.

Posted by Shane on 05/25/11 at 03:41 AM ET

I totally agree.  I’m an American but Versus used CBC feeds at times in the early rounds and I heard Hughson calling some Canucks games and thought he embarrassed himself and his network.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/25/11 at 04:25 AM ET

I could never see Mike Emrick doing the same thing on a national broadcast…even if it was his New Jersey Devils playing against a canadian team.

Posted by Geno71 on 05/25/11 at 09:38 AM ET

Hughson is the biggest homer commentator EVER.  OK, maybe Glen Healy is just as big a homer and man, the two of them together produce a pretty much unlistenable broadcast.

I can only hope that he and Healy don’t get the Finals assignment.

Ugh.

Posted by Garth on 05/25/11 at 10:06 AM ET

Primis's avatar

So people hate the CBC crews calling games… they hate the between-periods commentators, and they hate the postgame analysts…

Remind me again, why is it again HNIC is the gold standard?

Posted by Primis on 05/25/11 at 11:01 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

I like the whole CBC production. So, I don’t know what that’s aboot. I see them as the gold standard when compared to FOX / NBC / VS.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 05/25/11 at 11:15 AM ET

Remind me again, why is it again HNIC is the gold standard?

Probably because it’s still miles better than Versus, TSN or NBC.

And as much as Hughson is terrible, he’s not the entire broadcasting cast, he generally just does Canucks games.

Posted by Garth on 05/25/11 at 11:19 AM ET