The Shea Weber Situation

From Elliotte Friedman of CBC via Twitter:

—Shea Weber requested 1-yr deal. He submitted $8M, team $4.75. Remember: this is not like MLB, where arbitrator must pick one or other.

—I don’t believe for a second the contract negotiations between the two are anywhere near $4.75. Betting is team knew Weber would ask high…

—...and this was pure strategy

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He must be making a play to be available for the wings next year

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/02/11 at 08:04 PM ET

He must be making a play to be available for the wings next year

I’d love to believe that.

Posted by godblender on 08/02/11 at 08:34 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Really?  You guys want a goon on our team?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/02/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Shea Weber is posturing to be the big fish on next years’ UFA market, seems to me. I wouldn’t begrudge him if he did his last year in Nashville and then signed with the Wings (might even be incentive to have Lidstrom return for one more). I’d love to have him in a Flames jersey but I don’t see him picking Calgary over other, more competitve teams.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 08/02/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

He must be making a play to be available for the wings next year

Him and Suter both next season? I may need to change my pants.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/02/11 at 10:03 PM ET

Really?  You guys want a goon on our team?

Absolutely.

Posted by godblender on 08/02/11 at 10:40 PM ET

With the Wings needing to resign both Stuart and Kronwall, I don’t see how we could afford Weber AND Suter. If Lidstrom returns next year, I don’t see how we could even obtain Weber, unless the contract was backloaded.

Posted by DrewBehr from Holland, MI on 08/02/11 at 10:40 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I don’t see how we could afford Weber AND Suter

It is most definitely a pipe dream. But an awesome one.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/02/11 at 10:48 PM ET

To be honest, I’m not surprised that Weber is looking short-term.

I don’t think he’s necessarily looking for a one-way ticket out of Nashville, or the biggest available payday. The team is fairly competitive and has been good to him.

But if I’m a young Norris candidate with championship dreams in Weber’s situation, I think it’s reasonable to ask, “Is Nashville ever going to put a real contender together, or are we always going to be the plucky overachiever that has to do everything perfectly in order to get past the first round?”

If it’s the latter, then I take a short-term deal, say “Thanks for the memories” when it’s over, and maybe come back once I have a championship.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 08/02/11 at 10:57 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

We would hope Kenny could get an inkling of the possibility of signing both, and then not re-sign Stuart if it happens.  As the ultimate tire-kicker, you would hope he would make this happen if it’s in any way possible.  If it is, it would lead to a pretty ridiculous D lineup even with Nik gone.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/03/11 at 02:12 AM ET