The Radulov Impact

Pierre LeBrun and Craig Custance of ESPN discuss a few topics, including Radulov…

LEBRUN: Well, I think Datsyuk nailed it at the end of his comment there, saying “not good for us.” The way the Wings are playing right now, and with a first-round date against Nashville likely at this point, no wonder the Wings organization was privately fuming last week when the NHL announced its Radulov decision. If it is Preds-Wings in the first round, I can’t think of a more compelling Western Conference series. And I know you’ll be covering it. If the Preds knock out the Wings in the first round with Radulov playing a starring role, you have to wonder how that would play out in Detroit. On the Nashville end of things, I’ve had readers ask me about whether the players in the Predators dressing room would be reticent to welcome Radulov into the fold, given that he’s parachuting in late and given the fact he bolted on them four years ago. In fact, I’m told, led by captain Shea Weber, the Preds’ players have been very supportive of Radulov returning—focusing on the bottom line: winning now. Let’s remember the big picture context here: the futures of Weber (RFA July 1) and fellow stud blue-liner Ryan Suter (UFA July 1) are very much tied to the success of the club this season. If Radulov means a deeper run, all the better, as far as Weber and Suter are concerned.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Nice dodge by these two on discussing anything of actual substance in relation to the Radulov situation and its impact on the league.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/20/12 at 01:01 PM ET

As much as I hate to see him on Thursday playing against the penguins in what will be a very important game for the pens; I still feel that allowing the predators to use him is the right answer.

I feel this way due to empathy I have for the organization in the situation… not any sympathy for Radulov at.  The guy is a piece of trash who most likely will not be back in the NHL next season.

I wonder how the organization will be viewed if they indeed go on to win the cup?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/20/12 at 01:10 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Nashville was a team I used to respect…well-coached, defense-minded, did alot with a small budget.  I respected them so much that I used to root for them in any game in which they didn’t play the Wings (despite them being division “rivals”).  Not anymore.
Regardless of Nashville’s intent and “efforts” to bring Radulov back into the fold, the facts remain the same:  This player will be allowed to compete in the playoffs after avoiding the gruelling NHL regular season.  He did not miss the season due to injury (which adversely impacts training and fitness), rather, he was playing in a competitive league (with an easier-than-NHL schedule) where he was able to maintain game-level fitness up until JUST before the playoffs.  Regardless of intent, the outcome here is the exact same as when Reijo Ruotsalainen and others used to exploit the system and the euro leagues.  It’s outright cheating and my days of rooting for Nashville are over.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/20/12 at 03:19 PM ET

How would you have felt if he had played for the team for the past 3 seasons as his contract required. I hold no ill will towards Nashville getting a player they had every right to play for years. They have done nothing wrong. The only dirtbags are the KHL and Radulov himself, not the organization. Under what principle you profess would Nashville ever get to have him on the team?

Posted by timbits on 03/20/12 at 10:58 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by timbits on 03/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

If he had played for them for 3 years, in the NHL, as specified in his contract(s) then it would be the same as any other NHL regular.  As for “having done nothing wrong” I disagree - just as I stated before, this is the same as stashing a player in another league to stay in game-shape, yet avoiding the NHL’s regular season grind, then bringing him back to the NHL just in time for playoffs.  This is the same garbage the league supposedly wanted to do away with.

It would be completely acceptable to add Radulov back to the roster any time BEFORE the trade deadline.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/20/12 at 11:25 PM ET