The Mike Smith Led Phoenix Coyotes Advance To The Western Conference Finals

What can you say, the Phoenix Coyotes played a relentless series to defeat the Nashville Predators 4-1 in the series.

Once again Mike Smith was almost unbeatable, in the 2-1 win, stopping 32 shots while the Coyotes fired 17 at Rinne.

The Coyotes will have some time to rest up and prepare for the Los Angeles Kings.

Watch the game winning goal by Martin Hanzal.

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Way to go Yotes! That being said, Go Kings!

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/08/12 at 02:14 AM ET

Will there be any goals in the next round?

Posted by 13 user names on 05/08/12 at 02:42 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

love it, definitely rooting for the coyotes!

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/08/12 at 02:54 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I have nobody left to hate in the playoffs.  Now I’m going to have to manufacture a bunch of stupid reasons to keep myself interested.

Or maybe we’ll get lucky and the Kings/Yotes will give us an up-tempo and hard-fought series.  I don’t care if every game goes to OT and ends 1-0 as long as the hockey is good hockey.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/08/12 at 03:03 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m pulling for a PHX/NJD finals that no one will want to watch. When the ratings tank, the league can celebrate parity.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/08/12 at 07:57 AM ET

Primis's avatar

How nice and tidy:  Phoenix advances to the WCF on the same day Lil’ Gary announces a probable sale of the team to… some guy who will probably sell the team again in 2 or 3 years or just let them go altogether.

Posted by Primis on 05/08/12 at 08:24 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/08/12 at 07:24 AM ET

Didn’t they announce some ownership shit on one of the days of the past two Red Wings series when they lost?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/08/12 at 09:11 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/08/12 at 02:03 AM ET

Hahaha…. Nice!
The Preds getting knocked out in the second round is going to make their summer VERY interesting. Their trades failed. Getting Radulov back in time for the playoffs failed. Their number 2 Dman is a UFA and that have bunches of others to resign.
What motivation is there to stay if you’re Suter? Nice weather? The music? Anonymity? Me thinks Suter wants to win a cup and play for a team that’s serious about this stuff and also has a track record that other teams (Nashville being one) are trying to emulate. Poile has to be nervous right now. This team could completely fall apart if the FA’s decide to “seek the treasure”.
‘Tis gonna be a fun summer.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/08/12 at 09:27 AM ET

Kudos to the Coyotes and FINALLY we have a truly Western Conference Final. Last night’s game was intense and never boring. The fans were bonkers and it was fun to see people having fun with hockey in the desert. Hopefully this new ownerhship group can get finalized and the misery that has been this story can pass on to something better for Arizona!

Posted by timbits on 05/08/12 at 10:45 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

It was an entertaining game timbits, that’s for sure, high energy up and down the ice.

Both the Kings and Yotes had a degree of puck luck keeping it out of their cage, as did Nashville vs Detroit.  Averages caught up with Renne, and although he is good there were pucks he didn’t see that did NOT hit him this series thaat somehow did hit him vs Detroit.

If puck luck dries up for both teams I think Quick is the better goalie of the two, and their constant pressure and forecheck wilted the Blues.

Two lead by example Captains have earned their shot at the WCF though, good for them.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/08/12 at 11:01 AM ET

awould's avatar

I agree. But I thought the Coyotes would lose to Nashville. Now I think the Coyotes will lose to LA. But what do I know?!

Posted by awould on 05/08/12 at 12:23 PM ET