The Goods on Fantasy Hockey

image

Over the years, I have had many requests for a consistent blog regarding fantasy hockey.

I finally found Ian Gooding to do just that, so let the fun begin.

-Paul

Hello Kukla’s Korner website visitors,

My name is Ian Gooding, and I’m going to be providing something brand spanking new to Kukla’s Korner: a fantasy hockey blog.

I’ve spent the last five years as a writer for fantasyhockey.com, with the last four of those as the site’s content manager. I’ve won numerous fantasy hockey leagues and hockey pools throughout my life, and I’ve helped many others out there do the same. You name the league type - head-to-head, rotisserie, points, single-season, keeper, salary cap, auction, pick any 20 players, check off boxes – and I’ve probably played it. In fact, I’ve played in leagues so deep that I once needed to add Wade Belak from the waiver wire. Yet, it is still an honor for me to be joining one of the finest hockey websites in cyberspace.

The name of my blog will be “The Goods on Fantasy Hockey,” which is a similar blog name to the one I have used at fantasyhockey.com. Several times a week, I will be writing an article within that blog called “Pick Six,” where I pick six players of interest and advise you on whether to start, bench, add, or drop the player from your fantasy team. I will also be providing various other articles about draft strategies, injury and trade impact reports, and whatever else comes to mind. I will assume that both compliments and criticism will be a normal part of the process, so don’t be afraid to post your comments!

About me personally… I probably wasn’t the most skilled player in any game of hockey that I ever played, but I was usually a lot better at hockey trivia and in playoff hockey pools. I have been a Vancouver Canucks fan since the 1981-82 season, when my father took me to my first NHL game: the final regular season home game for the Canucks before their miraculous Towel Power Stanley Cup run. To prove that I was at the game, I even remember the score (7-4 Canucks over the Los Angeles Kings). The Canucks fan in me sometimes bursts out on my Twitter account, although I’m more likely to tweet about fantasy hockey. Don’t worry, though, I won’t let the fan in me interfere with my attempt to give you sound fantasy hockey advice. After all, it took me quite some time to accept Alex Burrows to be a legitimate fantasy hockey option, even though he is one of my favorite players.

We’ve still got over two months of waiting and boredom before the NHL season begins. Yet if you’ve already (still) got that itch for some fantasy hockey, send your question to gooding74@shaw.ca , and I’ll post my answers in a future column. Cheers!

Ian

Filed in: Fantasy Hockey and Gaming, thegoods13, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

red_wings_49's avatar

Welcome to the blog!  I might use you… a little too much.  wink

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/26/11 at 11:41 AM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Welcome!

Yay for a fantasy blog, as I’m also a fantasy junkie, and can often be found running multiple teams in a variety of leagues… so I’ll be looking forward to your insight.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/26/11 at 11:49 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m pretty excited about this blog.  I look forward to reading your advice!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/26/11 at 12:23 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

All in favor of a KK fantasy hockey league tournament-type-thinger?

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/26/11 at 12:44 PM ET

Welcome to the team, Ian. Looking forward to your fantasy advice. It better help with win my pool.

Posted by Greg Thomson from Toronto, Ontario on 07/26/11 at 12:50 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

All in favor of a KK fantasy hockey league tournament-type-thinger?

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/26/11 at 10:44 AM ET

I second that, er, thingy!

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/26/11 at 02:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/26/11 at 10:44 AM ET

That sounds like an awesome idea.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/26/11 at 02:39 PM ET

Welcome to KK, Ian! Can’t wait to read your fantasy musings on a daily basis.

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 07/26/11 at 03:24 PM ET

Man I hate Burrows

Posted by TheSarge from SAmo on 07/26/11 at 03:25 PM ET

Anyone want to join Ian Gooding’s 12-team dynasty league? It is extremely nerdy, but we’ve got one open team. If you’re interested, drop me a line: jack weiland at g mail dot com.

Posted by Jack Weiland from Boston on 07/26/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Welcome to KK, Mr. Gooding. I definitely look forward to reading what you have to write on the world of Fantasy Hockey.

All in favor of a KK fantasy hockey league tournament-type-thinger?

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/26/11 at 10:44 AM ET

Let’s do it!

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/26/11 at 06:00 PM ET

Ian Gooding's avatar

Thanks for all the welcomes and high fives, everyone. This site looks very interactive, so it should be lots of fun.

We can certainly talk about forming a fantasy league when the time gets closer. I’m all about fantasy hockey leagues that require pocket protectors and graphing calculators.

If you can’t wait a second longer, send Jack an email (see above). This league is all about salary caps and free agency and entry draft - and that’s just the offseason.

Posted by Ian Gooding on 07/27/11 at 02:46 AM ET