The Good And Bad Of The NHL Playoffs

from Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press,

This year’s edition has been compelling, whether you love or hate the results. There are heroes and villains, rising stars and major flops… and floppers, too.

With the big event, the Cup final—it’s only the “finals” if you are among the unwashed south of a certain border—about to begin, it’s a good time to purge the system of some issues that have been eating away at the general playoff experience.

Things I’m sick of

1. A lack of respect. I fully expect the NHLPA and its members to just tuck tale and retreat to the corner when the subject of respect among players comes up in the months ahead. There are sportsmanlike players still in the game, but their numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate. Or maybe the players, when asked about respect, will just pull a “Tortorella” and ask for the next question.

2. Mixed messages. Hand passes are allowed by the defensive team in its own end. Falling on the puck continues to be given the green light, too. Not shooting the puck over the glass, though. So which is it, NHL GMs? Do you want more offence or less? The 30 men who are “guardians” of the game worry me deeply when they can’t make up their minds on these items, and even more when they have the power to make head contact illegal but simply won’t.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Things I’m sick of ,  jerkwads Canadians making snide remarks about Americans without having the balls to come right out and saying it.  Some people should never leave the snow-globe they were born in.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/24/12 at 11:43 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Things I’m sick of

1. A lack of respect.

This^^^^. Buncha punks out there. My theory? Hockey is more of a rich kid sport and less of a farm kid sport. Ya know I’m right ;~)

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/24/12 at 01:26 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

He says one little thing and you get defensive?  Calling him a “jerkwad Canadian” certainly doesn’t help.  He’s goes up in arms against Doan (a Canadian), Brendan Shanahan (also Canadian), a CBC Analyst and has good things to say about Dustin Brown (An American), calling him a good captain and good things to say about NBC Hockey coverage.  Let it go…

But I digress.  I think he’s right on some of these especially the delay of game penalty for the puck over the glass and the lack of real head shot contact rules.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 05/24/12 at 04:18 PM ET

But why set up the premise by taking an unnecessary shot? Is it to set up his credentials as an expert? Do people in Winnipeg really care what the Cup Final is called in Phoenix?  At least I didn’t say all Canadians are jerkwads, since that would be insulting a good portion of my own family. To me it undermines his credibility from the outset.

I also agree that most of what he says afterwards is pretty spot on, but it makes it harder to read when you have to get by that first shot.

PS
Thank you for corrrecting my typo in my initial reaction.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/24/12 at 04:35 PM ET

Well done Hockey1919, well done!

I’m also sick of shot blocking and Shane Doan cheapshots.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 05/24/12 at 11:35 PM ET

Oh, I forgot this nugget:  I’m also sick of people from one small town north of a boarder thinking teemu selane is going to, or should go play for the jets.

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 05/24/12 at 11:39 PM ET